I just did an impulse of my room :(

professorlamp

I are Joe
Nov 2, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
roomohdeae.jpg

Good god!
I can't see how it's that bad, anyone else tried this and had as shocking results as mine?
some research and then acoustic treatment will go very high on my list of things to buy

Well I read about it somewhere on another thread in the off topic tavern but basically, i got the programme for windows (room EQ wizard) and then set it up so that all the inputs and outputs were sorted level wise, set my microphone (just an sE condenser) up at my listening level (where my head is) and then you can enter into room EQ the frequency sweep so i obviously chose from 20hz to 20khz , it then plays a sine wave sweep which is picked up by the mic and played back through the computer and then makes a graph showing you the frequency response of you room :)

obviously some work is needed ,but im moving out soon so no real point just yet

edit: sudden realisation that the microphone is also going to manipulate this slightly...

You should be using a proper measurement mic with a calibration file loaded into Room EQ wizard not a normal condenser,
Otherwise the characteristics of your condenser will have an adverse effect on your results,

I think room EQ Wizard is written to use the Behringer measurement mic and calibration files can be downloaded from the RoomEQ Wiz website,

Everything you need to know including correct setup is here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

(sorry if you already knew this but it doesnt look like it from your posts)

Difficult to see the details. You should go to the "measured" tab in RoomEQ. Then limit the horizontal view to 20Hz-500Hz and the vertical view to just see the graph.
Turn off all smoothing (but it already looks you've done that).

But it looks rather bad so far. 30db difference in the bass range. Time for bass traps man!

Difficult to see the details. You should go to the "measured" tab in RoomEQ. Then limit the horizontal view to 20Hz-500Hz and the vertical view to just see the graph.
Turn off all smoothing (but it already looks you've done that).

But it looks rather bad so far. 30db difference in the bass range. Time for bass traps man!

His results dont mean anything !!!!
He didnt use a measurement mic :rolleyes:

Also, it was mentioned in another thread that you'll wanna use smoothing (or the equivalent option in the program you used, assuming there is one) for a more realistic appraisal - however, an omni mic should definitely come first :loco:

Don't use smoothing for the bass response. Things will look better, but that will not help you.
For higher frequencies, smoothing is necessary to get the right picture, to avoid that crackle look:)

Anyway, these kind of measurements are mostly helpful to determine problems in the bass region.
Higher frequencies are quite easy to control. Not much measuring needed.

I have RoomEQWizard too, I haven't bothered messing with it yet as I only have normal mics. So it looks like a Behringer measurement mic is in order then? Which way should it be pointed?

Yes they play a big role but you wouldn't do this test with a different set of speakers unless you were also mixing on them. This test will show you how your monitors and room interact really.

You can create a calibration file for the mics you have, but yes it will have to be an omni. I would however get an SPL meter. I have a Radioshack 33-2055 that many people use with this program and have calibration files just for this. It is an omni mic and is about $50. Maybe a cheaper alternative?

And as Metaltastic has said,you want to use smoothing 1/24. Its under trace adjustments.

How are you using the SPL meter with this program?? Is there an XLR output or something? There is only one picture on the RadioShack website and the specs listed are very vague.