I just lost my job :(

Data entry is the easiest work ever. :headbang: Just have good speed and accuracy and you're right. I think they ask for 12,000 ksps these days, or maybe 10,000 at some places.

Nice! What does ksps stand for? Presumably not keyboard strokes per second, because if that were the case you'd need to be bloody fast indeed.

How the feck does that work then? That would end up being, say, 130,000 words per minute. Spiffo does 13,000ksps - folks, I think Superman has been resurrected as Spiff the Super Typist. The man can type out War and Peace in half an hour.

Well that figure was back in October 2002, before I had actually done any data entry work. It's probably gone up since then. :)

I chose temping rather than settled for it. I have no interest in full-time, permanent employment - temping is a lifestyle choice for me. I enjoy going to new jobs every few months, meeting new people etc. And yes, I do have large debts to pay off, so I don't want anyone to say, "Yeah, but if you had bills to pay then you wouldn't be saying that". The longest forced time I've had off (as opposed to choosing to take a month off here or there because I've saved enough money to be able to afford it) since I started temping is four days, so I've never been sitting by the phone for a long period of time waiting for a new assignment.

It would take a very special job for me to quit temping. I just don't want to make that commitment to a job I'll probably want to quit after a week. At least with contract work I know there's always a light at the end of the tunnel.

yeah, I have done pretty well out of temping over the last 2 years but all assignments have been with the same company. When i started with them in feb 2003 it was in customer service which only required 30wpm typing. That was for 4 months and when that finished they called me a week and a half later and asked if i wanted a spot in their admin area. I was never particularly fast doing the work but i improved and no one else seemed to be that flash so it didn't matter, that was another 4 months of my life. I then had a break (involuntary though I wasn't looking that hard for work) from the end of october until mid february when I did some more phone work for the same company until july/august. From there I went back to the data-entry section, with a couple of days off in-between. Still there to this day, asked the boss for a week off about a month ago, got that no questions asked (i get it reeeaaal cushy). At this stage I am there for about 2 more weeks, from when I plan to take 2-3 months off work, simply because I can. From there I think I will make the transition to permanent full time work (if it happens) although it will be a shock to the system.
The temping lifestyle sure is a good one, I have no debts and no bills, no car to run (though that will change soon) as I live walking distance from work I haven't really needed one. The higher wage is good too.
The appeal of working 9 months of the year and taking 3 off is very high for me though I would like to be earning more money than I am now. Am having thoughts of gettign into some form of consulting or contracting and working for myself that way. Hmm, any thoughts on that?

Well the place I just started at is fucking massive... no more then 5 minutes after I walked into the office, my supervisor mentioned my IT training and said nearly half the IS (Information Support) team had left the company in the last month or so. So who knows, there could be a chance down that line. At the moment they've got me doing some pretty simple stuff, but fuck me, they eventually want to move me onto actually customer phone support... and their systems are shockingly complicated!

Celestial-Todd said:
......and said nearly half the IS (Information Support) team had left the company in the last month or so. So who knows, there could be a chance down that line.

I heard some stuff on the radio this morning about runnung a successful business means keeping the staff reasonably happy......apparently people have gotten sick or requesting and being ignored, so are now walking rather than staying and fighting.

It's costing business big bucks to keep training new people.

Yeah, it's amazing how high the turn-over is at the larger companies these days. Most people either have enough skills to go elsewhere (especially to competitors) or like myself, will be a temp and can just go get more temp work elsewhere. Gone are the days of "oh I don't really like my job, but if I stick it out for another 10 years I may get a good position"

I agree, there's a fair bit out there.....I've even had a few offers out of the blue in recent years.

At some point it starts to feel too risky to jump (e.g. having a year's worth of sick-leave up your sleeve "just in case")