Tips when applying for a job (rant follows)

Wenda

Lady LORD
Jul 28, 2003
In a windowless void
www.myspace.com
Ragh, some people need whacking with the Clue Stick(tm). I'd like to put the following tips on the Hudson website to be read prior to sending a job application to our agency:

1. Decide on what your name is and make it *consistent*. This is particularly aimed at people from Asia, and to a lesser extent, Indians. Yes, I know your family name goes first in your country, that's fine. But DON'T call yourself Xiang Kit Pham in your email, Kit Xiang Pham on your cover letter, and Pham Xiang Kit on your resume (yes, I made this name up). We search the database primarily on names and this will make you VERY difficult to find.

2. Again on the theme of making yourself easy to find - if your name is something like John Smith, please give us some kind of other distinguishing information so we can find you easily in the other 103 John Smiths that are on the database. Date of birth, middle name, anything. ANYTHING.

3. If we ask you to give us your resume in .doc or .txt form, don't send it to us in .pdf, .wps, or any other format. Really. The database doesn't like PDFs and oh, by the way, it doesn't help your application to then rant at us that our company is obviously unprofessional because we don't accept them. I'll still process your application, but your rude letters will get attached to your profile as well.

4. Don't rant at us for using form letters when we reply to you. We'd truly love to be able to write lovely letters to each and every one of you, but I process up to 300 applications a day for this office. Not going to happen. However, these rude letters will also go on your profile. Just doing my job.

5. Don't bother filling up your resume with pictures. I take most of them out (on the old database system, I had to strip the whole thing back, but the new one is a bit more forgiving of some things). Save the prettied up resume for when you get to give it directly to an employer; job agencies aren't as impressed by that sort of thing. This is particularly aimed at graphic designers - your resume is not your portfolio. That's what your portfolio is for.

6. There is NO rule 6.

7. If we ask you to print your name on a form, please at least try to do it legibly. I can't scan 'squiggle' into the database.

8. It doesn't help to write your cover letter as 'I want 2 aply 4 the job'. This looks bad, very bad. I actually had someone who put their name as 'r0b3rt' on their cover letter today. *smack SMACK*

9. And finally...please don't tell us that you're applying for 'the job advertised in the weekend paper'. WHICH paper? WHICH job? YAAARRR. If you want to be considered for a position, TELL US WHAT IT IS.

And on a personal note - WHY do I never get told when there is a mufti day? :cry: Everyone in the office but me is wearing casual clothes. :(

I wasn't told Friday's around here was a mufti-day at first... mind you, at times it's hard to tell. I've lost count of how many people I've seen turn up at work in polo shirts and jeans. I'd do it myself if I wasn't a temp! haha

Apparently it comes from a military term for being in plain clothes. It's not a commonly used colloquialism in QLD I think; I only learnt the term after I'd spent some time living in NSW :p

NP: Edguy - Hellfire Club 02 - The Piper Never Dies :headbang:

Free dress day or casual day in Qld, not this stupid mufti thing. A term like that is just un-Australian, like when Victorians say that things are grouse. Makes one's blood boil, it does. *shakes fist*

I have used the term mufti since I was in primary school, heard it back then and have used it since.

And may I use said ClueStick(tm) it might save me using actual physical violence from time to time :headbang:

Spiff said:
Free dress day or casual day in Qld, not this stupid mufti thing. A term like that is just un-Australian, like when Victorians say that things are grouse. Makes one's blood boil, it does. *shakes fist*
The term has been used in australia for at least 50 years and i think it came from england, i don't think its un-australian

One thing that pisses me off is everyone using the word HI all the time , that is totally un australian. Even in emails and text messages it annoys me.

This is from the Royal Australian Navy's website

Mufti - These were an official class of men in India who at that time, interpreted the law. Known throughout India as Muftis', they dressed in civilian attire, unlike many other civil servants of the day. So, when a naval officer shifted out of uniform into civilian clothes to proceed ashore, it was spoken of as shifting into 'mufti'.