I Just Saw Metallica, Twice This Week & They Crushed

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
Just wanted to let everyone know that I was lucky enough to see Metallica twice this week (Second & Fourth Nights), and they crushed! The Lights dim, & the AC/DC song "It's a long way to the top, if you wanna Rock n' roll" plays to it's completion, the lights dim more & their Western Opening Soundtrack(The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly) plays, and they opened with Blackened(tue), & Battery(Thurs), nice start both nights. I saw 2 new songs(St. Anger & Frantic), and a shitload of old classics, & nothing from the Black Album, Load or Re-Load(to my pleasure). Great venue:The Fillmore In San Francisco, Killer Sound:Thanks to Big Mick, Modest Lights: not overpowering, & expertly timed Strope use. Backdrop: Metallica Skulls in Neon, very cool, Set List: Was perfect, everything I wanted to hear, Crowd: Metallica Fan Club Members Worldwide, Like haveing Saddam(Metallica) reading a speech to the Republican Guard(crowd), well recieved, & they did not pack as many people in as they could have, it was very un-packed & you could walk around, through the crowd, made it much more comfortable & enjoyable(not hot & sticky with sweat), Performance: James: Less Baby's & excellant performance, Lars: Very well done, no obvious mistakes(IMO), Kirk: Still the same fast guitar player as he ever was(caught his pick), Rob: Good Fair Even Trade, Rob for Jason, as Bass players go, he is equal to Jason, except that Jason had better Background Vocals, thats what Rob lacks, Mercandise: One shirt sold, different date & color, every night, same shirt, but different color patterns, very cool, New material: Better than the Load shit, not as good as their classic shit, but the songs had their moments, low tuned but fast, still an improvement(very Agro). Overall rating: I give them an 8.5, out of 10, great special historic Shows, reminds me of 18 years ago when I saw Death Angel (Andy was only 13 years old), open for them across the street, at The Kabuki Theater(2 nights)(ride the Lightning Tour '85), now that was a 10. And great seeing Death Angel play last night, they were highly energetic, & played perfectly, as always! I was happy to be a member of their crew, & filmed the entire show, thanks guys you rule! And thanks to Paul from Systematic on Tuesday night, I went with Eric, Johnny, & Derrick, & he hooked us all up, and also played a great set(for their kind of music), thanks brother, We had so much fun & all of us got very drunk. All Metallica rules, at least this week, thanks guys for playing, what we really wanted to hear!
I can honestly say, they are still the Shit!

Songs played that I can remember(I was drinking):
Tuesday Night:
Blackened
No Remorse
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
The Thing That Should Not Be
Frantic
Ride The Lightning
Creeping Death
Whiplash
Leper Messsiah
Master Of Puppets
Hit The Lights
Harvester Of Sorrow
One
Seek 'n Destroy
Battery
So What
Breadfan
Damage Inc.

Thursday night-
They shuffled the order of the Tuesday night songs, & added these different songs:
Motorbreath
St. Anger
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Here's The Set List from Sunday Night(did'nt make that one)
01. Hit The Lights
02. Four Horsemen
03. Harvester of Sorrow
04. Frantic
05. Leper Messiah
06. Master Of Puppets
07. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
08. No Remorse
09. Sad But True
10. Phantom Lord
11. Fade To Black
12. Damage Inc.
13. For Whom The Bell Tolls
14. Blackened
15. Ride The Lightning
16. Last Caress
17. Am I Evil (half)
18. Motorbreath

Sounds like a killer evening , I bet those shows were great to see in a small setting and not a big giant arena. Thanks for the report !

Funny -- Pyrus and I posted basically the same thing at the same time.

Just so Dirt Junior gets a little rest from the usual, I'll just say what he says to get it out of the way

THE NEW ALBUM TIS GONAN SUCKORZ!! METALICA FUCKS SUCKS TESTAMENT RULZ!!!!!!!! THEY SOLD OUT, YOU R A CHEAP FUCKING BASTARD WHO ISN;T A REALK METALHEAD IF YOU DISSAGREE, NETALLICA SUX FOR THE LAST TIME, TESTAMENT RULZ. THE NEW ALBUM IS GONNA SUCK! JAMES DOES THAT FAG HEY HEY HEY VOICE!

Got that out of the way. Sounds like a great show, with a killer set, I wish I could have been there.

Brent said:
Just so Dirt Junior gets a little rest from the usual, I'll just say what he says to get it out of the way

THE NEW ALBUM TIS GONAN SUCKORZ!! METALICA FUCKS SUCKS TESTAMENT RULZ!!!!!!!! THEY SOLD OUT, YOU R A CHEAP FUCKING BASTARD WHO ISN;T A REALK METALHEAD IF YOU DISSAGREE, NETALLICA SUX FOR THE LAST TIME, TESTAMENT RULZ. THE NEW ALBUM IS GONNA SUCK! JAMES DOES THAT FAG HEY HEY HEY VOICE!

Got that out of the way. Sounds like a great show, with a killer set, I wish I could have been there.

ROFL .....

Brent said:

:tickled:

Sounds killer, must be nice to be privelaged! Having learned the setlists they were playing, I would have loved to go. Too bad I ain't a fan club member or lucky enough to win the radio lottery. Haven't seen them live since about '90. I guess the next opportunity will be at an ampitheater or stadium, which frankly sucks for shows IMO. Anything with seating in the front blows. I reckon I'd only be interested in going if they continued this type of setlist, but somehow I doubt it.

Deadly Embrace said:
Set List: Was perfect, everything I wanted to hear

Every Metallica concert that I have been to the setlist has been just perfect!

Kirk: Still the same fast guitar player as he ever was(caught his pick) Lucky Bastard!

Overall rating: I give them an 8.5, out of 10

That is very fair!

I can honestly say, they are still the Shit!

Guess I better get my tix to this show! Thanks for the review. Glad to hear that you had a great time!