Woah, did anyone see that Metallica setlist the other night?

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
As most people know, Metallica is playing 4 free shows in San Francisco right now, with a different opener each night. Did anyone check out the setlist they played the first night? It was fucking amazing, though I'm soooo curious as to how well they played the songs, as it's been many years since they played those songs in their entirety. Anyone know?

Here's the setlist:
  1. Hit The Lights
  2. Four Horsemen
  3. Harvester of Sorrow
  4. Frantic (new one?)
  5. Leper Messiah
  6. Master of Puppets
  7. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
  8. No Remorse
  9. Sad But True
  10. Phantom Lord (!!!)
  11. Fade To Black
  12. Damage Inc (!!!)
  13. For Whom The Bell Tolls (!!!)
  14. Blackened (!!!)
  15. Ride The Lightning
  16. Last Caress
  17. Am I Evil?
  18. Motorbreath
Wow.

Sad But True being the newest song, besides the brand new one?

Have you seen the packaging for St. Anger yet? It looks pretty cool. I'm still not excited for this release, but I am getting there. Heard a sample from their website, lots of double-bass, but I'm still skeptical.

Well when they did the medley on MTV the other night, it was spot on perfect. In fact, Blackened in particular was explosive, and I'm not sure how much faster they can play Battery.

Again, this seems like another calculated attempt to convince the disillusioned that they've gone back to their roots (the four most dreaded words in the cynical metalhead's vocabulary.) Remember when Megadeth dropped songs from Risk before releasing their purported comeback?

Demonspell said:
Again, this seems like another calculated attempt to convince the disillusioned that they've gone back to their roots (the four most dreaded words in the cynical metalhead's vocabulary.) Remember when Megadeth dropped songs from Risk before releasing their purported comeback?

Hold on though Demonspell, their new stuff may not be nearly what it once was, but the bottom line is their old stuff does indeed kick ass and if they're going to focus on Kill 'Em All/Ride The Lightning/Master of Puppets/And Justice For All material live over Black/Load/Reload/St. Anger material I'll definitely be interested in going to the show.

I don't care if Metallica is indeed pulling a gimmick and "reverse selling out" so to speak by trying to cash in on the great band they once were. Whatever gets them to play that stuff live (whether it's money or integrity driven) is completely fine by me.

Just bring it the fuck on!!!!

It's all very clever if you think about it....

1. Metallica have the nuMetal fans in the palm of their hands with their recent gang leadership of bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and Sum41.

2. They have the MTV crowds interested - even the ones who aren't into metal, such as Snoop Dogg fans and Buffy followers.

3. And now, just before the new album comes out, they go out to play FREE gigs for the die hards, sticking to older songs to win back the oldies.

Way to get all three groups into a buying market. Conceivably, this could be the biggest selling Metallica album ever.

I admit again, my interest is piqued.

You would be a fool to not think there was at least some sort of agenda... but who cares? Lars is a smart businessman, like him or not. He is one of the main people that got them where they are today.

And if it took Jason leaving to make them see the error of their ways, so be it, as long as they have seen it.

Papa Josh said:
And if it took Jason leaving to make them see the error of their ways, so be it, as long as they have seen it.
How come Newstead is always blamed for making Metallica go soft? I always thought of him as the metal dude of the group, and he didn't write any material did he? Not much anyhow. Plus he's always hanging around Sepultura. Can you see him jamming with Sepultura and then saying "oh man, sorry guys, I gotta go play Hero of the Day now... *sigh*" :D

NAD said:
How come Newstead is always blamed for making Metallica go soft? I always thought of him as the metal dude of the group, and he didn't write any material did he? Not much anyhow. Plus he's always hanging around Sepultura. Can you see him jamming with Sepultura and then saying "oh man, sorry guys, I gotta go play Hero of the Day now... *sigh*" :D

You misunderstood me, my friend. Jason left because they weren't heavy anymore... whoever blames Jason for Metallica being soft is a retard.

Oh. Duh. Foolish me. I love misreading things. :ill:

I have heard several people kind of blame him for their softness though, never understood that.

Sounds interesting....someday I'm gonna catch this band live, just so I can tell my grandkids I did :p

Well if this next album is any good I'll be glad to burn it :D Fuck them I won't support them financially! Those bastards aren't worth my hard *yeah right* earned money $$$

That setlist is good tho :p

bloodfiredeath said:
Yeah, what do you want? :D

Heheheh....I've missed this entire last season. I'll wait for it on DVD. :D

And I need to see that new movie with Eliza Dushku - "Wrong Turn". Seen the trailer? Man, Faith just gets hotter by the day.

JayKeeley said:
Heheheh....I've missed this entire last season. I'll wait for it on DVD. :D

Far be it from me to try to turn a Metallica thread into a Buffy thread (bwahahahaha!), but boy you sure missed out if this season was the one you decided not to watch. Excellent final season for the greatest show of all time. Last night's finale was absolutely perfect. But like you said, the dvds will come (season four out June 10!:D), and plus you get the double dose ever day on FX.

And I need to see that new movie with Eliza Dushku - "Wrong Turn". Seen the trailer? Man, Faith just gets hotter by the day.

Yeah, I'll go see it...

bloodfiredeath said:
Far be it from me to try to turn a Metallica thread into a Buffy thread (bwahahahaha!), but boy you sure missed out if this season was the one you decided not to watch. Excellent final season for the greatest show of all time. Last night's finale was absolutely perfect. But like you said, the dvds will come (season four out June 10!:D), and plus you get the double dose ever day on FX.

I know, I know....I don't want to know anything! I'll save it for the DVD release, hehehehe.

This is what happens when you get outvoted at home to watch American Idol.