Woah, did anyone see the Iron Maiden setlist the other night?

phyre said:
Uuugh. Is it just me who can't really stand most of Harris's "epics?"....."The Thin Line Between Love And Hate"? UGH I say. "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" rules though.

I thought "Thin Line" was a joke when I first heard it, what with it's bouncy bouncy verse lines.

Harris is the best songwriter for Maiden, certainly the most consistent... and to be honest Wasted years doesn't always sound that good live...

Aces, Powerslave, 22 Acacia, Children of the Damned... all are on Live After Death... why hear shit I can throw on the stereo live at anytime?

Go with the more obscure stuff!

1. Number Of The Beast (snore)
  2. The Trooper
  3. Die With Your Boots On (AWESOME!!!!)
  4. The World's Wildest Dream (new)
  5. The Wickerman (snore)
  6. Brave New World (snore)
  7. Revelations (AMAZING! They should play "Powerslave" too)
  8. The Clansman (blayze)
  9. 22 Acacia Avenue (pretty cool choice)
  10. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  11. Fear Of The Dark (overrated)
  12. The Clairvoyant (pretty cool song, though i prefer just about everything else on that album)
  13. Heaven Can Wait (worst song on my favorite Maiden album)
  14. Iron Maiden (I loathe this song)
  15. Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter (I REALLY loathe this song)
  16. 2 Minutes To Midnight (I sorta loathe this song)
  17. Run To The Hills (this song rules)
pretty lame set... but with a couple cool suprises...

Papa Josh is right... although "Wasted Years" is one of the best Maiden songs... it doesn't come off well live

At least they didn't play that silly "Wrathchild" tune.

ProgMetalFan said:
  1. Number Of The Beast (snore)
  2. The Trooper
  3. Die With Your Boots On (AWESOME!!!!)
  4. The World's Wildest Dream (new)
  5. The Wickerman (snore)
  6. Brave New World (snore)
  7. Revelations (AMAZING! They should play "Powerslave" too)
  8. The Clansman (blayze)
  9. 22 Acacia Avenue (pretty cool choice)
  10. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  11. Fear Of The Dark (overrated)
  12. The Clairvoyant (pretty cool song, though i prefer just about everything else on that album)
  13. Heaven Can Wait (worst song on my favorite Maiden album)
  14. Iron Maiden (I loathe this song)
  15. Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter (I REALLY loathe this song)
  16. 2 Minutes To Midnight (I sorta loathe this song)
  17. Run To The Hills (this song rules)
pretty lame set... but with a couple cool suprises...

Papa Josh is right... although "Wasted Years" is one of the best Maiden songs... it doesn't come off well live

At least they didn't play that silly "Wrathchild" tune.

Hmmm.... I disagree and I agree, here's my quick rundown:

Number of the Beast (Awesome!! and a great way to kick it off, vote yes)

The Trooper (What no comment? Here's mine: awesome!! vote yes)

Die With Your Boots On (Awesome!! Oh Yeah! vote yes)

The World's Wildest Dream (Probably smart to only play 1 new track since the album is far from being released yet and hardly anyone knows the songs, vote yes since I'd be curious to hear one new one)

The Wickerman (Very good underrated rocker! vote yes)

Brave New World (UGH! What a horrible choice for a set that's not supposed to focus on any one album and be more of a "best of" type set. I mean, even if they wanted to include another BNW track, they easily could've thrown in something much stronger like Ghost of the Navigator or something. vote no)

Revelations (Awesome!! vote yes)

The Clansman (I really feel they should leave out the Blayze material, but this song is still pretty good, vote no)

22 Acacia Avenue (Awesome!! vote yes)

Hallowed by thy Name (Awesome!! vote yes)

Fear of the Dark (Good song, but shouldn't really be in this set. My favorite song from the lackluster Fear of the Dark album is Afraid to Shoot Strangers, which I feel is one of Maiden's strongest, most underrated songs ever. vote no)

The Clairvoyant (One of my favorites from Seventh Son, vote yes)

Heaven Can Wait (Enjoyable enough sing along, very good but not great. vote yes)

Iron Maiden (If this song were titled something else and had a different chorus, it would not be a staple of their live shows. Not horrible or anything, but I've never been a huge fan of it and am sick of hearing it live. vote no)

Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter (Come on!! This choice sucks!! End of Story. Vote no)

2 Minutes to Midnight (Awesome!! Vote yes)

Run to the Hills (Awesome!! Vote yes)

So, overall that's 12 yes and 5 no, sounds like a pretty damn good set to me.

Er... Holy pigshit! I'll like, look forward to that or something!

Papa Josh said:
Harris is the best songwriter for Maiden, certainly the most consistent... and to be honest Wasted years doesn't always sound that good live...

Agreed about Harris, though I also agree with Erik that some of his "epics" leave something to be desired, though I happen to like "Alexander The Great" quite a bit. As for "Wasted Years," I'd take my chances as I've never seen it played live.

Aces, Powerslave, 22 Acacia, Children of the Damned... all are on Live After Death... why hear shit I can throw on the stereo live at anytime?

Um, no. That argument only works if you don't like leaving the fucking house. It's a Maiden show, and those songs rule. They belong.

Go with the more obscure stuff!

Again, it's a Maiden show, which is more about being a live metal institution (IMO of course) than about playing "obscure stuff." At least, to me.

Dark One said:
Hmmm.... I disagree and I agree, here's my quick rundown:

Number of the Beast (Awesome!! and a great way to kick it off, vote yes)

The Trooper (What no comment? Here's mine: awesome!! vote yes)

Die With Your Boots On (Awesome!! Oh Yeah! vote yes)

The World's Wildest Dream (Probably smart to only play 1 new track since the album is far from being released yet and hardly anyone knows the songs, vote yes since I'd be curious to hear one new one)

The Wickerman (Very good underrated rocker! vote yes)

Brave New World (UGH! What a horrible choice for a set that's not supposed to focus on any one album and be more of a "best of" type set. I mean, even if they wanted to include another BNW track, they easily could've thrown in something much stronger like Ghost of the Navigator or something. vote no)

Revelations (Awesome!! vote yes)

The Clansman (I really feel they should leave out the Blayze material, but this song is still pretty good, vote no)

22 Acacia Avenue (Awesome!! vote yes)

Hallowed by thy Name (Awesome!! vote yes)

Fear of the Dark (Good song, but shouldn't really be in this set. My favorite song from the lackluster Fear of the Dark album is Afraid to Shoot Strangers, which I feel is one of Maiden's strongest, most underrated songs ever. vote no)

The Clairvoyant (One of my favorites from Seventh Son, vote yes)

Heaven Can Wait (Enjoyable enough sing along, very good but not great. vote yes)

Iron Maiden (If this song were titled something else and had a different chorus, it would not be a staple of their live shows. Not horrible or anything, but I've never been a huge fan of it and am sick of hearing it live. vote no)

Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter (Come on!! This choice sucks!! End of Story. Vote no)

2 Minutes to Midnight (Awesome!! Vote yes)

Run to the Hills (Awesome!! Vote yes)

So, overall that's 12 yes and 5 no, sounds like a pretty damn good set to me.

Er... Holy pigshit! I'll like, look forward to that or something!

Heh, heh, good rundown, and I agree with most! I probably would've come up with 13 yes and 4 no, I think. Thumps up from me too, ya?!

markgugs said:
Again, it's a Maiden show, which is more about being a live metal institution (IMO of course) than about playing "obscure stuff." At least, to me.

I disagree, myself. The hits have been done many a time and are on many a live album for us to hear. With a catalogue as broad as Maiden's, a dip into obscure gems would be very welcome in order to keep us on our toes :)

I'm not sure if or where I might have said this (but I think I did, so that counts :) ), so I'll reiterate:

"Obscure gems" are fine, as long as they're Maiden classics that simply haven't gotten the live attention. Otherwise, they're just obscure and I have no use for them. For example, I don't exactly want to see them break out "Gangland."

I dunno, mate...after hearing Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter last night I reckon they could probably make Gangland sound class now ^_^

The new song is real cool, btw :)

Dude, "Bring Your Daughter..." is an abominable song no matter how you slice it. "Gangland" is eh at best, though I'm sure you figured I was kidding with that one...

All I'm saying is that I'd still much rather hear "Hallowed..." than some semi-ok obscure song they don't play live often or ever.

I still say, Flash Of The Blade, Back In The Village, Sea Of Madness, Alexander The Great and The Prophecy are worth digging out to fit the "obscure gem that needs digging out" category. I would say The Edge of Darkness and Como Estais Amigos (don'y know if I already have cos it's been so long since I read this thread :erk: ) but they'd be better with Blaze doing 'em, y'know...

Ayeka said:
I still say, Flash Of The Blade, Back In The Village, Sea Of Madness, Alexander The Great and The Prophecy are worth digging out to fit the "obscure gem that needs digging out" category.

The Prophecy is my second favorite song from Seventh Son (after Infinite Dreams). Those acoustic guitars in the outro are soooo medieval.

1. Number Of The Beast (maybe an acoustic version! :) )
2. The Trooper (Nice)
3. Die With Your Boots On (Great Tune)
4. The World's Wildest Dream (no comment)
5. The Wickerman (don't care for it)
6. Brave New World (see #5)
7. Revelations (ho-hum)
8. The Clansman (not to bad)
9. 22 Acacia Avenue (ho ho ho get me a :) )
10. Hallowed Be Thy Name (OK)
11. Fear Of The Dark (don't care)
12. The Clairvoyant (ok tune)
13. Heaven Can Wait (boring)
14. Iron Maiden (they could have done better from their earlier albums)
15. Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter (suck)
16. 2 Minutes To Midnight (not my favorite but not my worst)
17. Run To The Hills (cool tune)

What I would add, Flight of Icarus probably my favorite IM tune, Alexander the Great maybe my second favorite, Remember Tomorrow...although I am satisfied with the Opeth version :), Wrathchild and probably their cover version of Jethro Tull's Crossed Eye Mary...I love that one! Cheers, Antonio