I just turned down another band!

Cat5Messiah

Violator of Sheep
Jan 21, 2003
Seattle/Tacoma (Browns Point), WA
www.myspace.com
So when I still worked at Guitar Center, I had this customer from a band who wanted some cheap ass mics. Long story short, they needed another guitarist and were looking to audition some. I impressed them the first time I went over there because I knew like one song and was playing on a piece of shit guitar with five year old strings. I just improvised the whole practice.

Afterwards, I hung out and we talked about video games and shit. We hit it off quite well. Second time around was an actual audition. I had my gear so it sounded a lot better. But this time, I knew more of the songs. I impressed the shit out of them.

If you've heard my songs, you would know that my style is far from simplistic. This band isn't neccessarily my style but the music isn't bad. They're a Eastern Goth Metal band that almost implements Techno-style beats. They do use a drum machine.

But thinking about it, I mainly wanted to join for the groupies. :lol: I would grow tired of the simplicity of the music and/or the playing. They do shows all over the country but it probably wouldn't work out.

Here's an E-Mail Robert sent to me after they auditioned the other dude:
Well, this is an interesting development we did not expect. Nathan showed up knowing nearing the entire set perfectly, and played it slightly better then our old guitar player!

Of course, the dude still lives in Edmonds – which would suck for us, since we’d have to start practicing in Seattle.

So here is the question: do you still want to do a second audition? In order to pull this off at this point, you probably need to know about 8 songs perfectly, and it’d have to happen in about a week, since we don’t have much more time then that wait.

It’s up to you, if you could at least match Nathan, we’d give you the slot, since you live a lot closer – but you’ll have to be a lot more prepared then you were in your first audition. Its up to you, let us know if you still want to try.

So, here is my response back:

Sorry about the delayed response man, I had some family shit I had to take care of.

Basically, this is how I feel on the situation. I don't mind learning the songs the way they are originally and wouldn't want to make any changes to them but at the same time, I'm a different type of guitarist than maybe Rob and Nathan are. I can understand that you want the songs exactly how they were played before since that's what the fans know but at the same time, the songs were written by a different guitarist.

My technique and style is far different than other peoples'. After thinking about it, I don't think I would be the right person to have to play the songs note for note. Not being able to add my own twist and implementing my style of playing to change the sound (not the structure) a bit may be a problem because of the fact that I do it without thinking. I've been playing for almost fifteen years so it's a little difficult to change my style and my reflexes when it comes to playing. If I was to learn all of the songs and got in the band, we would do a show and I, by the way I play, may implement my own style into the songs which could cause problems. I don't want to do that to you guys nor myself.

If I had to be a clone, so to speak, of Rob, I feel that I would be unhappy. Unhappiness would cause problems. It wouldn't be about the music. You guys are a good group of people and I in no way would want to "fuck you over" by acting like I would play the songs exactly how they were played before, do a show and play it my own way. I'm original with my playing and if you were to hear some of my instrumentals that I wrote and recorded a few years back you would realize that my style and songwriting is far from simplistic. My writing is usually complex with odd time signatures and abstract parts. My song Paradox is almost 14 minutes and Conundrum (Part II of Paradox) is about 14 minutes as well. That's 28 minutes of one song. That's one problem I have with my other band. When Rob writes a song, he writes a short (4 minute) song and I usually write songs at least 6 minutes and that's when I'm trying to not write a long song.

So unfortunetly, I don't think a second audition would be neccessary considering the fact that I don't want to lie to you guys and act like I'll play the songs exactly the way Rob did. It's just not me.

Take care you guys and keep in touch! Good Luck!
-Steve

So my question is;

Would you have done the same?

NP: Byzantine - Salem, Ark.

i'll tell you what i would have done, i definitively would have come to the forum and brag about it, is what i would have done; it's not everyday you get to play out the 101 rules of progressive metal.

edit: HOLY SHIT i just realized Loreena in my sig has the longest neck i've seen in a human being.

EagleFlyFree said:
edit: HOLY SHIT i just realized Loreena in my sig has the longest neck i've seen in a human being.

:lol:

Edit: Robert already sent me a response:
Okay, cool. Well, thanks for being so honest, its better to know things now,
then find that out later!

Good luck with your music in the future, you're a great guy, and a talented
guitar player, so I'm sure you'll have no problem hooking up with the right
proiject.

NP: Nightwish - Ghost Love Score

EagleFlyFree said:
haha nice.

@SSJ4SephirothX
Not saying to much comign from me, but I'd probably do the same. If you wont be happy with the band/people, the music will suffer.

EagleFlyFree said:
i'll tell you what i would have done, i definitively would have come to the forum and brag about it, is what i would have done; it's not everyday you get to play out the 101 rules of progressive metal.

:lol: :lol:

I have an aunt that lives in Edmonds.

You have to go where your heart leads you, wherever and whatever it is that your heart wants to do. That is why when our bassist left to play guitar in his own band, we all understood that is where his heart was and we have no hard feelings(except for the fact that he always said he never got to write may parts, but never wrote any parts when we asked him to..:lol: i never got that )