I know, it's not my first thread about it....ENGL e645 compressor

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
but I fucking HATE the Powerball!

damn...guitarist comes in and insist on using it...ch4 gain on 6, treb and bass on max, mid on 12:00.

they want a kinda metalcore-tone....
strings on the guitars are "relatively new" he said (for me 4 hours is "old" in a recording session"....his had been on the guitar for 3 weeks!
he insisted on using them though "I don't like the sound of new strings".

so I have to deal with untight playing, 3 week old strings and the worst amp that's ever been built,,,,
damnit!

WORST AMP EVER!

Why not doing a blind A/B comparison with an amp YOU think sounds better?
If he can name his Powerball and thinks it sounds better then let him play. If not it´s your choice. :heh:

I never let guitarists do the setting on the amp! YOU are responsible for the sound. The band is responsible for the playing. If it sucks completely in the mix then why not reamp it? :lol:

BTW, if the guitarist isn´t able to play very tight it might be a good idea to have some mud in the sound to hide his mistakes...

Why not doing a blind A/B comparison with an amp YOU think sounds better?
If he can name his Powerball and thinks it sounds better then let him play. If not it´s your choice. :heh:

I never let guitarists do the setting on the amp! YOU are responsible for the sound. The band is responsible for the playing. If it sucks completely in the mix then why not reamp it? :lol:

BTW, if the guitarist isn´t able to play very tight it might be a good idea to have some mud in the sound to hide his mistakes...

yup, that's what I proposed....he said "the PB HAS to be in the mix, cause I'm Engl Endorser"....

I'll still reamp through better amps and let him do the blind-test.

and yup, I'll be going for a muddier Sound...as much as it pains me.

and...dammit...3 weeks old strings? WTF!!??!!

yup, that's what I proposed....he said "the PB HAS to be in the mix, cause I'm Engl Endorser"....

I'll still reamp through better amps and let him do the blind-test.

and yup, I'll be going for a muddier Sound...as much as it pains me.

Hey, at least he let you take a DI track! And what's this crap about the Engl having to be in the mix cuz he's an endorsee, as if Engl would seriously be able to tell whether or not it was in there! :rolleyes: Sounds like pride and denial on his part to me.

I mean...I'm using ENGL Cabs. so there will be ENGL in the mix (that's what I told him)...
I might just blend it in for overdubs or something.

did I mention that I'd rather record a valvestate than a PB?
I would!

personally i think the powerball sounds pretty awesome when set right...obviously that wasn't the case in your scenario

that being said, the powerball obviously isn't too high on my list of amps to own, as i don't already have one :D

:lol: Tell us how you really think Lasse.

haha, you have no idea ;)

so, cooled down a bit today after having edited the drums a bit...

I think playingwise this will turn out really nice tbh, really good drummer!

I will try some more moderate settings on the PB next week to get a cleaner/tighter tone. (tbh...I would be happy if I could find a good/usable tone and use that amp...just to have a unique sound for this band)
I found out that th PB sits really better w/o a boost, now I just have to figure out a way how to get rid of the fizz....it's a never ending struggle with that amp! :)

most of the guitartracks are actually ok...was just difficult to judge yesterday with the muddy PB-tone....just one or two parts need to be fixed slightly, but that can be done ;).

Song is coming out pretty cool so far, drums are fine....
I'm sure we'll find a tone that pleases the band and me in the end.....like we always do ;)

if it makes ya feel any better, i'm working with a guy that wants to use his boss multifx pedal into a crate gt1200 for an upcoming recording, because it's "his" sound

i'm not gonna drop the bad news just yet...but he's using a boosted cobra or mark III, maybe even the ampeg ss150 i've got on the way...like it or not!

Lasse, you have had a chance to dial in a PB however you wanted, right? So your experience isn't just with shitty people using their shitty settings?

haha, you have no idea ;)

so, cooled down a bit today after having edited the drums a bit...

I think playingwise this will turn out really nice tbh, really good drummer!

I will try some more moderate settings on the PB next week to get a cleaner/tighter tone. (tbh...I would be happy if I could find a good/usable tone and use that amp...just to have a unique sound for this band)
I found out that th PB sits really better w/o a boost, now I just have to figure out a way how to get rid of the fizz....it's a never ending struggle with that amp! :)

most of the guitartracks are actually ok...was just difficult to judge yesterday with the muddy PB-tone....just one or two parts need to be fixed slightly, but that can be done ;).

Song is coming out pretty cool so far, drums are fine....
I'm sure we'll find a tone that pleases the band and me in the end.....like we always do ;)

Some tips that might help to dial in a better sound than that on a pb.

Don't use a mid booster like a tubescreamer, in fact don't use a booster...

NO EMG 81's

go really high on the mids, like 4 o clock

back down the bass (especially for recording) to 1 o clock or less

use the 3rd instead of the 4th channel.

If volume's an issue, a lot of power from the preamp, less from the poweramp

don't use the noisegate of the pb

Put a set of JJ's...

and when a powerball sounds muddy... tell the guitarplayer to practise more.

Some tips that might help to dial in a better sound than that on a pb.

Don't use a mid booster like a tubescreamer, in fact don't use a booster...

NO EMG 81's

go really high on the mids, like 4 o clock

back down the bass (especially for recording) to 1 o clock or less

use the 3rd instead of the 4th channel.

If volume's an issue, a lot of power from the preamp, less from the poweramp

don't use the noisegate of the pb

Put a set of JJ's...

and when a powerball sounds muddy... tell the guitarplayer to practise more.

Damn you, I kept watching the damn animated gif in your sig for ages lol.