i know you all probably hate this but... critique my mix!

s34nsm411

May 3, 2004
local band i recorded today, havent done vox yet

heres a pre-final version i whipped up tonight, hows it sound? i think theres way too much high end but my ears are so dead from mixing all day its not even funny

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=522744
abacabb betamix

edit: now with vocals, this is like the first time ive properly recorded vocals, so im not really sure what im doing quite yet but how do the vox sound?

I can see why your ears would be tired. That's some heavy shit. :loco: Sounds pretty awesome to me. All-pro. However, it sounds nothing like Phil Collins.:D

I think it sounds great too man nice job. I agree with you on the highend though, a very little bit too much maybe but other than that it's real sick. Kinda reminds me of some Testament The Gathering era...real nice.

While the instruments sound great, I think the drums are being drowned out a bit. Maybee try droping the bass and guitars a tad lower in the mix.
Sounding very fucking brutal though, nice work.

sounds great man!!! good work the music reminds me a bit of Cephalic Carnage wich is one of my favorite bands:headbang:
Whats the name of the band?

musickey said:
sounds great man!!! good work the music reminds me a bit of Cephalic Carnage wich is one of my favorite bands:headbang:
Whats the name of the band?

theyre called abacabb, which is the blood code from mortal combat on sega

their lead guitarist was really good, he recorded both his tracks first try one take for the whole song including the tapping part and everything

s34nsm411 said:
theyre called abacabb, which is the blood code from mortal combat on sega

their lead guitarist was really good, he recorded both his tracks first try one take for the whole song including the tapping part and everything

Very impressive! Keep me updated with progress i would love to hear more:headbang:

And i like the guitar sound how did you get it?

musickey said:
Very impressive! Keep me updated with progress i would love to hear more:headbang:

And i like the guitar sound how did you get it?

i just updated the soundclick file. added in some basshits, mainly before the tapping part and before a few heavy breakdown parts, if you have a sub it really makes it kick!

as for the guitars, we used a peavey 6505 for the 100l/100r tracks, and a mesa triple rec two channel version for the 80l/80r tracks, ive got the waves ssl channel strip on for some of the eqing, and filtered out everything below 60 and above 10.5k. i also did an eq match to i believe inflames bulletride with the firium plugin which made it sound pretty present and good

theyre comming back over the next couple days to do another song too, and im also going to have to make the lead guy redo the tapping part on the mesa amp, since when we tracked it he did one take out of each amp for the 100l 80l mix, but now i want to mix the tapping down the middle with the chugging on the outer tracks and it sounds funny moving the 100l 6505 track to the middle and the 80r mesa chug track to the left

i searched through the forum - i found that you'r using DFHS with sneap gogs
do you use any compression and EQ exactly on kick, snare, OH etc?
what reverb are you using - you wrote that you use it on all the drums?
(i mean not only on this record and in others your tracks (as i lay dying for example))

vocals sounds good to me

fistula said:
i searched through the forum - i found that you'r using DFHS with sneap gogs
do you use any compression and EQ exactly on kick, snare, OH etc?
what reverb are you using - you wrote that you use it on all the drums?
(i mean not only on this record and in others your tracks (as i lay dying for example))

vocals sounds good to me

well on this track i used pure dfhs, the sneap samples sounded too clicky for this style of music

for the bass kick i used the parkway drive style kick someone explained here, which was to use the premier kick with the default kick multiband compression setting in cubase and i also equed out some of the high end, the snare is compressed with slightly more compression than the sonar of metal file and the same eq settings as the sonar of metal file but translated to waves q4

the reverb is waves ir1

and all that is pretty much the same on the as i lay dying track except it has the sneap gogs mixed in like 50%