I like this place, but the lag....SUCK!

So has Deron ever publicly acknowledged this problem because this has been going on for weeks now. I'm just curious what is going on and whether it is actually being fixed or not.

It's been going on to varying degrees for ages. I started a thread in the feedback section about it in Jan/Feb I think. Deron seems reluctant to say anything about it besides "no big threads because it slows the forum down". Surely it's fixable.

ive never seen sig length be a problem. so, you can throw that idea out. it has more todo with the server i think
~gR~

Signatures shouldn't be a problem because the images in them are located on remote servers and not on UM. So they wouldn't cause any additional server load. Though they do cause it to take longer to load a thread completely for clients, which is why I always have signatures turned off in my forum preferences (also because most people go totally overboard with them by putting in huge images which makes it take forever to scroll through a thread).

Who the hell actually keeps sigs visible in the threads? Most of them are annoying as fuck, and make the forum essentially unreadable. Occasionally I'll check someone's sig in their user profile if I want to see their last.fm lists or something, but overall it's a worthless feature and probably should be removed from the site.

It would be cooler just to have a customizable page in the profile where people could write shit about themselves and post whatever pictures they want. Add a few extra text fields for favorite bands, albums, genres, etc., and you'd pretty much remove the occurrence of all those retarded "favorite ________" threads on the forums. Just think about it.

I guess I should post this in the feedback forum.

Who the hell actually keeps sigs visible in the threads? Most of them are annoying as fuck, and make the forum essentially unreadable. Occasionally I'll check someone's sig in their user profile if I want to see their last.fm lists or something, but overall it's a worthless feature and probably should be removed from the site.

It would be cooler just to have a customizable page in the profile where people could write shit about themselves and post whatever pictures they want. Add a few extra text fields for favorite bands, albums, genres, etc., and you'd pretty much remove the occurrence of all those retarded "favorite ________" threads on the forums. Just think about it.

I guess I should post this in the feedback forum.

Do you like my sig?

:lol: :lol:

I agree... I came from encyclopdia metallum's forum, were they had no pics and no avators.

we could do without sig-pics.

Like? If you remove pics you get rid of last FM and I do not approve.

Wanna fight about it you stupid cunt?

_39786115_bottle203.jpg

I'll fuck you up! You want some? LET'S FUCKING GO!!! :heh:

Fuck that shit, leave it how it is. I like it this way. This way every post is a giant clusterfuck of pointless images that get pretty old after seeing them 8 billion times, you get a feel for the person, you can express shit that you can't express in a post. Keep the damn sigs!

Fixed. :)

I'm pretty sure avatars do just fine at conveying a sense of individuality for a post. And yes, the last.fm lists are nice, but having more customizable user pages would fix that.