I met Duff McKagan!!!!!

It was so awesome!! I've been a Duff fan since 1992 when I saw him in the video for November Rain. Here's what happened - Me, Chloe and Fiona all met up in Glasgow about half 1 ish on the day of the show. Once we’d met up we headed straight for our hostel to dump our bags and get ready for the show. Duff was doing a signing at Sound Control at 2pm and we wanted to see how big the queue was. We had to walk past it to get to our hostel anyway. As we were walking, Fiona spotted one of her mates in the queue who was going to let us join them. Result!! We dump our stuff and head back to join them. We waited for about 3/4 of an hour before getting into the shop but great banter was had by all which helped relieve the nerves that were building up in my stomach as we got closer and closer to the front. Eventually we get there and Fiona and Chloe go first and got their stuff signed. I go up and shake his hand saying it was so nice to meet him then asked him to sign my copies of Libertad, Contraband and his solo album Believe In Me. I’d brought a silver pen for the VR albums as they’re black but he had a white pen there too so asked me which I’d rather he used. I just said whatever one is fine and he said "Hey, I like the way you said that! ’Whatever!’ " smiled and signed them all. I asked him about his other solo album Beautiful Disease and if it was ever going to be officially released. He said that the only way they could release it now is to re-record it and then I said about Loaded recording some of the songs. He said he wished they’d just release it digitally "just to get the fucking thing out." He then posed for a photo with us all. As we left I said that we’d see him at the gig (and I bet he didn’t believe me but he was so wrong!). He was absolutely lovely and seemed to genuinely want to talk to us. After that we headed straight to the Academy which was about five minutes walk from the signing. We got there about 3pm and then the endless wait began. The Academy always has a cool sign outside announcing who’s playing and I like to take photos of it everytime I go. Well at this point we were seeing "Elvet Revolver" as the wind had blown the V off. It got magically replaced at one point so I did get a picture of the full name. As they’d let us join them in the signing queue, we had to return the favour and let Fiona’s friends in beside us. Just after we got there it started pissing with rain (it is Glasgow after all!!) but it stopped quite quickly only to be replaced with icy winds. I don’t think I have even been so cold in my life before!!!! Several trips to the amazing Mr T’s (fast food place) later, the wait was finally over. We finally get in and past security (who search my bag more thoroughly than usual) and we walk as fast as possible to the barrier. Katy, Fiona and Chloe had got there before me as I’d got held back with my bag but they’d saved a space for me. A quick toilet stop and we were ready to rock, all four of us on the barrier! Support was Year Long Disaster. I’d listened to their stuff on MySpace and it sounded not bad but live they were pretty boring. After they went off I wanted to speak to the security guard to make sure it was ok to have our banner out. He asked to see it then helped us get it set up along the barrier. I thought it best to ask first than risk getting it taken off us (especially since it’s not mine). So finally their intro music starts and it’s "Straight Outta Compton" which is an *ahem* interesting choice to say the least! The band are onstage but it’s still dark and we could see Duff squinting in the dark trying to read our banner!! Then they start Let It Roll, Duff clearly sees the banner now and keeps smiling at us - it was so awesome!!!!! Scott must have had 4 tops on cos he started off with a leather jacket, then stripped to a grandad style tank top, then a black long sleeved top and eventually to a grey long sleeved top. He kept swaggering along the front of the stage and several times jumped down and was walking along the flight cases in front of the stage. They did alot of covers - three Guns N’ Roses (Patience, It’s So Easy and Mr Brownstone) and three Stone Temple Pilots (Vasoline, Interstate Love Song and Sex Type Thing). Before Fall To Pieces, Scott said something like, "You’re witnessing something special. This is Velvet Revolver’s last tour" and then they went into the song. We were all kinda in shock at that and wasn’t sure if he was serious or not. It took AGES for them to come out for the encore. Matt was sitting at his drums and everyone kept chanting for a solo but eventually they came out and Duff kicked off It’s So Easy - with him on vocals! I was thinking that Scott must have fucked off but he came on not long after and they sang it together - it sounded awesome. At one point Duff came over to our side and was right in front of us so me and Katy held the banner right up and he smiled at us. He must have thought it was so cool to see it so far away from where he first saw it (Boston and New York). The gig was excellent even if Scott’s announcement did put a slight dampner on things. It was so cool to be on the barrier with my friends who all love Duff as much as I do. Highlights of the gig for me were Let It Roll, Patience, Interstate Love Song, The Last Fight and It’s So Easy.

Me and my friends with Duff!

weee014.jpg

Photos and video!
http://good-times.webshots.com/albu...n=refreshPhotos&albumID=562853211&security=aH

that'd be cool to hear slash do stp - i bet it kicked ass huh. at namm last year we saw the average white band do interstate love song which sounded great with a horn section.

that'd be cool to hear slash do stp - i bet it kicked ass huh. at namm last year we saw the average white band do interstate love song which sounded great with a horn section.

Hell yes it did!! I've seen them do Sex Type Thing and Vasoline before but Insterstate Love Song is one of my favourite STP songs and he did a fab job!! There's a video of that at the end of my VR folder posted above. :D

In regards to the last ever VR tour.....

Theres an intereting article on Kerrang

http://www2.kerrang.com/2008/03/velvet_revolver_to_splitup.html

Seems Scott weilland has turned on Matt Sorum......seems like Scott wants out.

I read that the day after the show. Axl tantrum anyone??? :erk:

Thanks for sharing Jenna! Sounds like you had a great time! :)

Thank you Wanda!! I did!! (apart from the endless four hour wait outside!)

Great stories, as always, Jenna! Have you ever considered music journalism in your future? You have a wonderful way of making the reader feel like they were right there with you! :cool:

Aww, thanks Aja!! It's not something I've ever considered to be honest. I'd probably have to go to see too many shit bands if I did do it!! :lol:

Aww, thanks Aja!! It's not something I've ever considered to be honest. I'd probably have to go to see too many shit bands if I did do it!! :lol:

Yahbut think of all the fun writing shit reviews?

"Stepping in a pile of dog crap on the way home from this show was an improvement on the evening."

"I use the term "performance" in only the most liberal, broad context and it is still a stretch for what I witnessed tonight."

"My editor must hate me."

Jim

Yahbut think of all the fun writing shit reviews?

"Stepping in a pile of dog crap on the way home from this show was an improvement on the evening."

"I use the term "performance" in only the most liberal, broad context and it is still a stretch for what I witnessed tonight."

"My editor must hate me."

Jim

Hahaha, I love the first one!! :lol: :lol:

You come from such a pure place for the music, Jenna, that I'm sure it brings out their best! So do you have a short list of artists you would yet like to meet?

:D

The one person I would give anything to meet would be James Hetfield. He's the one that started it all for me back when I was just 7. He's the one that inspired me to play guitar and his lyrics have gotten me through some tough times. I would be so unbelievably nervous but just to shake his hand and thank him would be enough. I would love to meet all of Metallica but meeting James would just be incredible.

I can think of five right off the top of my head... ::smirks::

Yeah, those five English guys who's band I like a little bit would be cool! ;) Also five American ladies who's band I kinda dig too. ;)

:D

The one person I would give anything to meet would be James Hetfield. He's the one that started it all for me back when I was just 7. He's the one that inspired me to play guitar and his lyrics have gotten me through some tough times. I would be so unbelievably nervous but just to shake his hand and thank him would be enough. I would love to meet all of Metallica but meeting James would just be incredible.

Yeah, those five English guys who's band I like a little bit would be cool! ;) Also five American ladies who's band I kinda dig too. ;)

I've Met Janick twice now, both times totally unsuspected. Once in my local pub and once at a local recording studio in his home town Hartlepool.

He's just a normal everyday bloke, I know people who knew him years ago before he became famous (I assume jouned Gillan) and they say he's no different now.

He still lives in Teesside, I wont go into further detail as it would be unfair.