I must be new here

Carnivorouschrysalis

Chuck Finley
May 19, 2012
hey, I'm a newfag here, but I'm not going to bother you with anything right off the bat. I just want so say that a friend referred me here. He said that this was a great place to learn about audio mastering techniques and things of that nature. I have high hopes, and I'm looking forward to learning everything I can, so I can become a better audio engineer and make the best quality of music possible.

cheers.

thanks! :D

Like I said, I really look forward to learning as much as I can, as well as contributing what little I do know. Music and Recording are my passions.

The fact that you mention learning about "audio mastering and things of that nature" already tells me you've got a lot of reading to do
What do you mention if you want people to get the impression that you do know what you're talking about? "How do drums? ¯\(°_o)/¯"? :D

lol, anyways, yes, I will start doing a lot of reading. I already have some of the basics down for mastering, aka how to use compressors, EQ's, gates, reverb plugins, and things like that. But, I want to know more so I can improve myself.

Also, I would like opinions of my work, and anything I can do differently to improve. Here is a link to one of my songs. Input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's some intense fuzzing in your guitar tone dude. I'm having the same problem kind of (not that bad tho :p ) and I've temporarly fixed it by turning down the gain a bit and EQ'ing out some high frequencies. It's still far from perfect though, so maybe someone else has better suggestions

There it goes again. That's not mastering, that's mixing, that's what I meant with my first comment, the fact that you don't know what is what means you need to read more. No offense intended, we've all been there and there's nothing wrong with it.

But that mix is not bad at all, I think it just needs some better balance, guitars and vocals are way above the rest, and the drums could use some humanization work, snare needs more body and presence. But quite good if you're just starting out, definitely works for demo/preproduction purposes without a problem

sorry i cant check your song now btw will do that later! in the meantime have fun reading! ive been reading since i joined and it looks like i wont be done anytime soon :eek:

If you are really serious, I would suggest that you read some audio mixing books. I would highly recommend Mixing Audio by Roey Izhaki. I have just started reading it (page 45) and so far everything has been awesome and informative. Goodluck!

If you are already familiar with the concepts of Eq, compression, saturation etc. you can get Ermz's e-book, an excellent guide with practical information on mixing rock and metal. But he doesn't explain those basic concepts so make sure you already know them. Besides that, there are many books that can help and are definitely a good idea to check out, in fact I'm sure there's more than one thread about books, use the special Sneap google search to find them and all you need (it's in one of the stickies in the main forum, I'm on my phone so I can't link you to it cause I don't have the link here)

I'm finding out the addictive qualities of this forum already XD

And i've always found that a little humility can go a long way.