I need opinions on amps!

Yelgath

New Metal Member
Jul 16, 2011
What's up guys. I don't want to make yet another "what amp should I get" thread, I just want some opinions and pointers on stuff to check out and bands that use the amp - I'm always up to check out new bands.

I want something that can get a good tone, but can get nasty when needed. The Mark V is hands down the best tone that I've listened to.. The problem is that it's almost TOO good. It can do metal but it still has that pure organic sound and you instantly know it's a Mark regardless of the settings dialed in.. A Mark always sounds like a Mark, and I'm just not into that for my overall style. I need something with a good soloing tone when it needs it, but it needs to get NASTY when the situation calls for it.

Some info: I like a lot of Scandinavian metal, I like Alexi from CoB's tone, I think Paul from Cradle of Filth's tone is pretty good. I've checked out Engl amps and I'm not sure about them yet, and the price in the US is pretty steep.

If you are talking about dropping some serious coin on an amp there is no substitute for trying them out in person. Most stores won't have a problem letting you do this.

If you are talking about dropping some serious coin on an amp there is no substitute for trying them out in person. Most stores won't have a problem letting you do this.

I'd concur with that, but the vast majority of stores around here have only Marshall/Fender and a few other amps. I don't mind Marshall, but I'm not sure that's what I want. And to even find a Boogie in a store around here is near impossible. I personally know the sound and feel of Marshall, Fender, and Boogie amps (own or have owned all three), but I've never even seen an Engl or Diezel etc. in person unless it was being used by a foreign band at a concert I was at. That's why I'm asking for bands that use the amp; so I can check out a potential sound from it.

Engl amps are high dollar
The Invader, Savage, and Smolinsky are the only ones that I have listened to on youtube. Sound badass.

Alexi uses a Lee Jackson preamp.

There are so many high dollar badass amps out there. Just gotta throw down some cash.
Do you want just an amp head, or would you want to get into rack stuff?

If you want to go cheap but awesome check out the Marshall 8100/8200. Chuck from Death used the 8100. The 8200 from what I recall has more power.
Dying Fetus uses the Ampeg Vh140c. Solid state, but it's badass. Loud and sounds great. I'd know, I have one.

Engl amps are high dollar
The Invader, Savage, and Smolinsky are the only ones that I have listened to on youtube. Sound badass.

That was what I thought also. I really like the sound of the Savage, and it's not too much more than a Mark V.

Alexi uses a Lee Jackson preamp.
I know he does, and as I said I do like his tone.. But I'm not really trying to copy him or anyone else. Plus how many 80's Lee Jacksons do you see around these days?

There are so many high dollar badass amps out there. Just gotta throw down some cash.
Do you want just an amp head, or would you want to get into rack stuff?

I'd get into rack stuff if I thought it sounded like what I was looking for. Right now I've mainly checked out heads though.

In all honesty, my opinion is give a good guitarist any high end amp and he'll tweak it and make it sound true to his sound. Going on about Alexi, he used just an Engl SE on his pickup demo, he's used a Kerry King Marshall I believe, he even used a Blackstar some on their latest album I think... It all sounded like him though. That's my problem with the Mark V is it's hard as hell to do that with a Mark V because it always is so organic and tasty.

So basically I think I'd be happy with any high end amp.. I'm really just looking for something that's catered specifically to the type of stuff I like. Again, any opinions and suggestions on bands to check out are very welcome.

It sounds like the best thing for you would be a Marshall, though I'm personally not a big fan of 'em. But they surely can sound "NASTY", while having a great organic lead sound. If you want really high distortion sounds, I would recommend Engl and Randall, lately also fall in love with Hughes n Kettner. The Engl has great versatility, while the HnK Switchblade is the best for handling, especially needed live.
But it's always hard to talk about this objectivly and to describe sounds in words.

I use a 6505+ with a rack BBE Sonic Maximizer 882 (two channel) in the amp loop.
I use BOTH channels on the BBE & it creates a brutal, powerful tone. I also rec using a MXR Smart Gate in front of the amp head. I had a BOSS Noise Reducer but it wasnt good for this amp head.