I need some bass help here

Scavengerofsorrow98

New Metal Member
Mar 24, 2003
Visit site
I have been playing bass for about 2 years. I have dreams of being to play like steve digiorgio and alex webster but i am finding myself not improving. I get a little faster bit by bit but i am affraid that at this rate i will never reach the talent of Steve DiGiorgio or Alex Webster, any advice for me here?

Give up.

Or stop freaking out and keep practicing.
Try figuring out harder material.Maybe Steve's mini solo from "The Philosopher" or that little bass part in "Hammer Smashed Face".
The important thing is whether or not the bitches dig you.

Try figuring out harder material.Maybe Steve's mini solo from "The Philosopher" or that little bass part in "Hammer Smashed Face".

I play bass for 6 months and can do then both LOL. :D Well, I still have to pick Hammer Smashed Face, but I can do Philoshopher all the way by finger picking.

Try tapping the Philosopher solo, sounds great!

An advice? Hmmmmmm... Get the PowerTab or GuitarPro, download some fucking fast/hard to play songs, turn of the bass line and play along with the program. It surely helps a lot. Start playing slow, always :p

Hook up with the coolest mother fucker you can find to teach you.
That's what I did.
Seventeen years ago in Jackson, NJ, I took lessons from this dude John.
At the time he was playing in Zakk Wylde's pre-Ozzy band, "Zyrus" and ,eventually went on to play with future "Overkill" guitarist, Dave Linsk.
That dude taught me alot in 2 years. After I learned the basics, I started playing along to my two favorite "Live" albums: RUSH "Exit...Stage Left" and IRON MAIDEN "Live after Death" every day after school and developed my ear.
Nowadays I can play anything I hear on the radio and I have no trouble finding people to jam with.
But it all started by hooking up with the right teacher to start me along my path.
Stay focused and you'll accomplish anything.
Have a great journey!!!

"I get a little faster bit by bit but i am affraid that at this rate i will never reach the talent of Steve DiGiorgio or Alex Webster, any advice for me here?"

sorry if this was already posted - Steve used to have a great speed tutorial on his page, I dunno if it's still there.
and you can practice this anywhere with just your fingers.

[two cents]

with your right hand tap a steady pattern with your 3, or even 4 fingers.

1 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 1......

do it straight and steady, then mix it up and give it triplet accents, or whatever kind of accents you want. Just start slow and make sure you do it steady!!!
do it to a metronome if you have access to one. As your fingers build dexterity and coordination you can fucking Flyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

If you do it right, and after enough time you will play faster than you can with a pick.

[/two cents]