I need some fresh blood! erh.. Music!

ScytheTorched

New Metal Member
Apr 3, 2003
Barteland, Norway
Visit site
I'm really into both Symphony X and Children of Bodom, but the time has come to broaden my horizon! And I need some help!

Heres what Im looking for:

- A good, heavy neoclassic style
- Wild solos (guitar, keys, bass, duels ... whatever)
- Sweep & tap licks
- Pref. a good blend of scream/clean vocals

Basiclly im looking for a mix of syx and cob!
Anyone know any bands that fit that description? Gimmie Gimmie!

-h

I think the band that does the best job with both clean and screaming vocals is Opeth. Their not really as technically melodic as COB, but they do have some killer melodies, and most of their songs clock in over 6 minutes!

Ever check out Cacophony? Marty Friedman/Jason Becker band from the 80s. They only have 2 albums but they completely tear it up.

Adagio is another one, although the singer doesnt scream like Alexi Laiho, they are very dark, neoclassical, orchestral, heavy, and their guitarist (Stephan Forte) is a MONSTER (especially at sweeping and tapping, since you asked :D)

Yngvai X said:
Ever check out Cacophony? Marty Friedman/Jason Becker band from the 80s. They only have 2 albums but they completely tear it up.

Adagio is another one, although the singer doesnt scream like Alexi Laiho, they are very dark, neoclassical, orchestral, heavy, and their guitarist (Stephan Forte) is a MONSTER (especially at sweeping and tapping, since you asked :D)

Agreed. Also check out Darkane, pick up the album Rusted Angel or Insanity.

I'd suggest you to forget a bit about neoclassic hairy stuff and check the best prog metal bands of nowadays (i include MUST HAVE albums):

Opeth - Deliverance (death vocals, mixed with soft ones, kickass riffing and licks)
Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle (I couldn't describe this album..it is just..perfect)
Devin Townsend - Terria (one of the best metal albums ever)
Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element Part I (maybe my fave album of all the time)
Ark - ARk Or Burn The SUn (both albums own, Jorn Lande, John Macaluso, Tore Ostby...should I say more?)
Angra - Rebirth (power metal with brazilians touches...Edu Falashi is gonna be one of the best singers around)

:headbang:

SiRo said:
I'd suggest you to forget a bit about neoclassic hairy stuff and check the best prog metal bands of nowadays (i include MUST HAVE albums):

Opeth - Deliverance (death vocals, mixed with soft ones, kickass riffing and licks)
Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle (I couldn't describe this album..it is just..perfect)
Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element Part I (maybe my fave album of all the time)
Ark - ARk Or Burn The SUn (both albums own, Jorn Lande, John Macaluso, Tore Ostby...should I say more?)
Angra - Rebirth (power metal with brazilians touches...Edu Falashi is gonna be one of the best singers around)

Actually, out of those bands Angra does have some cool neoclassical shred parts (Kiko Louriero is a fuckin great guitarist). And yes, I'd suggest Rebirth and also Angels Cry (theres a different singer on Angels Cry tho).

SiRo said:

Opeth - maybe
Ayreon - you call *this* METALL ? ? Where? Isis and Osiris? Tunnel of Light? Across the Rainbow Bridge? :rolleyes: Maybe Valley of the Queens!!
Devin Tonwsend - never heard
Pain of Salvation - TPEPI - bores me to death :zzz:
Ark - :devil: :headbang:
Angra - Rebirth - tell me please, what is the difference between that album and all other in that genre?? Typical , boring power metall

are you questioning if my suggestions are metal?

ok, Opeth, it is. Please.

Ayreon? check this album: FLight Of The Migrator and Star one / Space Metal. That's METAL. and in ITEC there is metal man, soft, but metal. Deal with it.

IF POS bore you, I pity you. maybe you should check other albums like Entropia or OHBTCL.

GO ahead with DEvin Townsend, he will blow your mind.

Angra is OK IMO.

Angel Dust is a great suggestion. Pick up their "Enlighten the Darkness" album. Pure class.

I would also like to second all of Siro's suggestions (except "Into the Electric Castle", which blows). Great albums all around.

I would also add:

Evergrey - "Recreation Day"
Wolverine - "The Window Purpose"
Labyrinth - "Return to Heaven Denied"

SiRo said:
are you questioning if my suggestions are metal?

ok, Opeth, it is. Please.

Ayreon? check this album: FLight Of The Migrator and Star one / Space Metal. That's METAL. and in ITEC there is metal man, soft, but metal. Deal with it.

IF POS bore you, I pity you. maybe you should check other albums like Entropia or OHBTCL.

GO ahead with DEvin Townsend, he will blow your mind.

Angra is OK IMO.
I'm sorry, syrosexy, but I'm questioning yoursuggestions in *prog* metal.
Why did you decide that I haven't heard Flight of the Migrator, Star One, Entropia and One Hour Behind(of Before? don't remember :)) The Concrete Lake, and I like them. And I don't need your pity.

And ITEC is not metal. I gave you a small list of songs, tell me which one of them is metall, please?

I recently checked out this Swedish band called Dark Tranquillity (yes, two L's). they are absolutely amazing. i've always been a die-hard symphony x fan, and DT really hits the spot.

Dark Tranquillity is melodic death metal and isn't very classical, though. they're kind of a mix of Sonata Arctica and Quo Vadis. still, i highly highly suggest checking out their newest cd Damage Done. the highlights IMHO are Final Resistance, Cathode Ray Sunshine, The Treason Wall.

www.darktranquillity.com has more info.

-pm

Post #8 by Grom
Angra - Rebirth - tell me please, what is the difference between that album and all other in that genre?? Typical , boring power metall

No their not!!!!!! They are cool dude. Listen to that solo in Running Alone (kiko's the man!!!)
I hate their old vocalist (Andre Matos) But Edu rules!!

The difference is the brazilian influences, the vocals (thank god its not the old one), the solo's, the songs, the melodies,......

Has anyone heard the song "Carrey On". Its with the old singer (Damn). But in the middle solo section they play some wierd shit. Its like power metal mixed with jazz or something. Any one heard it?

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Has anyone heard the song "Carrey On". Its with the old singer (Damn). But in the middle solo section they play some wierd shit. Its like power metal mixed with jazz or something. Any one heard it?

Of course, thats one of their best songs ;)

And when the live album comes out you'll have a version of that song with Edu singing instead of Matos :)

Goddamn I hate Opeth. I suggest checking them out if you like really slow really boring really long songs. The only Opeth song that doesn't suck is Demon of the Fall and actually that song is pretty goddamn owning.