I need some help recording.

zeppelin

pǝƃuɐq ǝq ɹo ƃuɐq
Jun 8, 2004
Johannesburg - South Africa
I've connected the record player through the "mic", I can also do it through "line in", then it sounds a bit duller but don't pic up as much static.
My question is what sort of software do you guys use(assuming you've done it) to record vinyl into mp3, I've downloaded "AR Wizard 3" but it's only a trail and you can't do any editing afterwards. Do I do it through the mic or through "line in" ? And finally, can I put some sort of filters on get rid of static?
I'd appreciate any assistance in this matter :)

I have done it with cassettes but I just use the built in Sound recorder and I always used the mic .... I really dont know how to get rid of the static but I bet Carnut or Greeno could help you! :D

zeppelin said:
I've connected the record player through the "mic", I can also do it through "line in", then it sounds a bit duller but don't pic up as much static.

Unless the turntable itself has a pre-amp on it you should hook it up through a receiver that has a phono input and use the pre-amp that the receiver has. That could explain the dullness you're getting. I would also guess that the "line in" input would be the best choice. If you don't have a receiver that has a phono input then you can buy a pre-amp that's made specifically for what you're trying to do. I think they run about $40 US. You could probably pick up an old receiver that has a phono input for much less at a garage sale or pawn shop.

zeppelin said:
My question is what sort of software do you guys use(assuming you've done it) to record vinyl into mp3, I've downloaded "AR Wizard 3" but it's only a trail and you can't do any editing afterwards. Do I do it through the mic or through "line in" ? And finally, can I put some sort of filters on get rid of static?
I'd appreciate any assistance in this matter :)

There is some pretty nifty software available that's either freeware or shareware. My boss uses an old computer just for transferring his vinyl to CD. I'll email him and ask him about the software he uses and post that up later.

Personally I wouldn't record them directly to mp3. It's going to be a fair amount of work to record them. Why not get the best quality first and then do the conversion to mp3 afterwards.

One other thing. A quick Google of "vinyl to cd" came back with a ton of tutorials. The first one in the list seems to be fairly comprehensive:

http://www.ganymede.hemscott.net/tutorial.htm

I use the mic in line and gives very decent quality. The programm I use for recording is called "Cool Edit 96". Easy to work and it has a nice noise filter..AND it's freeware !!
you can DL it here;
http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/cool_edit_96.shtml
It gives normal wav files that you can convert to MP3 with CDex, Freerip, or any other converting (free) software.

If you have it I will give some tips for use.

Thanks alot! Ofcoarse!, it has to go through the amplifier first, thanks for that one Wheezer, how stupid am I?(don't answer)
So I've got that sorted out, I've also downloaded a programme called "PolderbitS Sound Recorder" its a 14 day trail with unlimited recording so thats doing the thing for now. I'll download "Cool Edit" as well, I'll ask if there's something I don't understand, thanks Carnut.

carnut said:
I use the mic in line and gives very decent quality. The programm I use for recording is called "Cool Edit 96". Easy to work and it has a nice noise filter..AND it's freeware !!
you can DL it here;
http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/cool_edit_96.shtml
It gives normal wav files that you can convert to MP3 with CDex, Freerip, or any other converting (free) software.

If you have it I will give some tips for use.

Cool Edit Pro is indeed the best I have seen to record music form output sources. After you recorded the session, you can edit it, trim it, ajust it and after you save it as wav (like Carnut said) transform into MP3.

I always use the line in or line out for my transfers, the mic jack distort too much the sound due to the impedance IMO.

Wheezer said:
Personally I wouldn't record them directly to mp3. It's going to be a fair amount of work to record them. Why not get the best quality first and then do the conversion to mp3 afterwards.
[/URL]

Listen to the Wheezer!!!! :) Record them as WAV files then do whatever later on.

I've personally done about 75 to 100 records and I can't say enough good things about Cool Edit Pro. I've tried a couple other programs and none of them come close to Cool Edit. It has a "pop" filter for vinyl and a "hiss" filter for tapes.... plus a million other cool little features!

Greeno said:
By the way Zep..... what record are you going to transfer to cd?

Hey buddy. I ahve a question for you. Do you know the US 70s band Wiggy Bits? I am looking for their album and can't seem to find it anywere.

If you have it can you drop me a PM? :wave:

Greeno said:
By the way Zep..... what record are you going to transfer to cd?

Well so far I've done Budgie - Never turn your back on a friend; Robert Plant - Pictures at eleven, Robert plant - Manic Nirvana.
I still have a crapload of stuff that I'd like to record, Rare Earth, Grand Funk, Hendrix and the rest of the Plants.
I'm using Cool Edit now, it is indeed better than the others especially the filtering, everything is going well so far :)

Hawk said:
Hey buddy. I ahve a question for you. Do you know the US 70s band Wiggy Bits? I am looking for their album and can't seem to find it anywere.

I've heard you guys talk about them here on the board before but I've not heard them. A friend of mine has the vinyl and wants me to put it on cd for him but we've just not got around to it. I'll let you know when I get it done for him (providing he has not sold the vinyl to someone) :)

zeppelin said:
Well so far I've done Budgie - Never turn your back on a friend; Robert Plant - Pictures at eleven, Robert plant - Manic Nirvana.
I still have a crapload of stuff that I'd like to record, Rare Earth, Grand Funk, Hendrix and the rest of the Plants.
I'm using Cool Edit now, it is indeed better than the others especially the filtering, everything is going well so far :)

Right on! I'm glad Cool Edit is working for you. I'm using it right now, working on some old Metalshop radio shows from the 80's. It is without a doubt one of the most used programs on my PC.

zeppelin said:
Thanks alot! Ofcoarse!, it has to go through the amplifier first, thanks for that one Wheezer, how stupid am I?(don't answer)

That's not stupid. It's a featured part in a lot of the tutorials I've read so it's something that a ton of people have overlooked. That could mean you're average in that respect. :D

zeppelin said:
I'll download "Cool Edit" as well, I'll ask if there's something I don't understand, thanks Carnut.

Cool Edit sounds like what the boss uses. I didn't get a response from him yet. At the very least it sounds very similar.

I think Wyvern is right about the line in vs. mic. The mic input is amplified a little bit while the line in is not. That makes it easier to clip or distort the signal.

Sounds like you're well on your way. Good luck!

Greeno said:
I've heard you guys talk about them here on the board before but I've not heard them. A friend of mine has the vinyl and wants me to put it on cd for him but we've just not got around to it. I'll let you know when I get it done for him (providing he has not sold the vinyl to someone) :)

That would be very cool of you! but better get that album fast because its a collectors item. And thus very hard to get.

Wheezer said:
I think Wyvern is right about the line in vs. mic. The mic input is amplified a little bit while the line in is not. That makes it easier to clip or distort the signal.

Of course I'm right, I don't know shit about music but I do about recording :tickled: Being doing that for over 25 years thanks to my father (RIP) guidance and being born in ancient era ;)

Open reel, 8-track, vinyl, cassettes, CDs, and God knows how many different sound systems in my lifetime. I miss some of those gadgets :cry:

Still I want to do one more task to convert VHS to MPEG, I have to find a way to put the output of the VCR into an input in the computer...hmmm

Greeno said:
I'm using it right now, working on some old Metalshop radio shows from the 80's.

Ooooh, Metalshop! I loved that show. I used to have to wait for the local radio station to go off the air before I could get the station that broadcast it from over the hill. The local always ended their broadcast with a barbershop quartet version of the national anthem. That almost always bled into "Metalshop! The only show with teeth!" Nice contrast.

Wyvern said:
Of course I'm right, I don't know shit about music but I do about recording :tickled: Being doing that for over 25 years thanks to my father (RIP) guidance and being born in ancient era ;)

Hahaha! I think I'd disagree with you about what you know about music though. :D How fortunate for you and your father to be able to share that. That's pretty cool. My father and I share an interest in airplanes -- mostly WWII era.

Wyvern said:
Still I want to do one more task to convert VHS to MPEG, I have to find a way to put the output of the VCR into an input in the computer...hmmm

I've been thinking a bit about that myself. I've got a bit of stuff that I'd like to move over onto DVD. I haven't a clue about who makes the best cards for that. I don't know that it would matter a whole lot. They're probably all made at the same factory in China anyway. ;)

Wheezer said:
Hahaha! I think I'd disagree with you about what you know about music though. :D How fortunate for you and your father to be able to share that. That's pretty cool. My father and I share an interest in airplanes -- mostly WWII era.

Awsome! WWII airplanes are so cool. I used to build models when I was younger but lost the interest afterwards (sad because it's a great hobby to test patience).

Did you know that Wyvern is also a model of a WWII RAF fighter? http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/baugher_other/wyvrn-01.html (not a very good one tho :lol: )
westland_wyvern.jpg

westland_wyvern_2.jpg

I picked up a used turntable with a pre-amp built in off Ebay (@$20) and its patched into my "Line in" on the computer. I use an older program called Audiograbber (FREE!):Spin: which allows you to record to wave file then convert to MP3 if you want. It doesn't have much for reducing pops and hiss... but thats part of the magic of vinyl. IMO

By the way for any of you who are from the era of records. Remember how when a record would skip it really wasn't noticeable because thats just the way it was. But now with CD's if it skips we get pissed! LOL

Wyvern said:
Awsome! WWII airplanes are so cool. I used to build models when I was younger but lost the interest afterwards (sad because it's a great hobby to test patience).

Did you know that Wyvern is also a model of a WWII RAF fighter? (not a very good one tho :lol: )

:D No I didn't know that. Pretty cool just the same.

I work right next to an airport and for some reason there are a few businesses here that restore antique aircraft. The hangar directly across the street has a Japanese Zero being restored. They also had a P51 Mustang there last Summer. I got a few pics of it. Just last Friday a two-seater Spitfire stopped in for a while and then did a couple of flybys. He comes in fairly regularly and I got a picture of it earlier in the year. And a few Summers ago a Fairey Firefly spent quite a bit of time here. It won its class the Osh Kosh airshow that year. Here's a link to the pics I got:

http://www.pbase.com/wieser537/spit