I need some new "heavy" music

VillageSmithy

New Metal Member
Sep 23, 2012
I know "heavy" is in the ear of the beholder and there seems to be a huge variance in what people think is heavy, but given my favorite "heavy" CDs and songs below, what bands/albums fit my definition of "heavy"?

I'm not looking for monotonous (Hatebreed), sludgy (Crowbar), chaotic (Deicide, most Cannibal Corpse), Black Metal, or Cookie Monster vocals (Six Feet Under)(non-Cookie Monster guttural vocals are OK). I like songs that have hooks and rhythm changes, something you can pump your fist to, with powerful rhythm guitar and drums.

Heaviest Albums:
  • Cataract - With Triumph Comes Loss
  • Cataract - Cataract
  • Cataract - Killing the Eternal
  • Exhorder - The Law
  • Slayer - God Hates Us All
  • Full Blown Chaos - Wake the Demons

Next Tier Heaviest:
  • Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
  • Misery Index - Heirs to Thievery
  • Full Blown Chaos - Within the Grasp of Titans
  • Chimaira - Resurrection

Heavy Doom:
  • Trouble - Psalm 9
  • Trouble - The Skull
  • Candlemass - Nightfall
  • Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror
  • Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium

Heaviest Songs:
  • The Carrion Call - Misery Index
  • Nothing's Left - Cataract
  • Choke Down - Cataract
  • Breeze of the Kings - Cataract
  • Crystal Clear - Overkill
  • Into The Void (Sabbath cover) - Exhorder
  • Seven Faces - Slayer
  • Horrorscope - Overkill
  • Inhuman - Carnal Forge
  • Evisceration Plague - Cannibal Corpse
  • Procreation of the Wicked - Celtic Frost

cephalotripsy - intracranial butchery
guillotined - ruthless executions
anything from Pyaemia & Aposepsy & Severed savior

:D :D

I recommend digging into the many death metal rec threads in this subforum. Mountains of good recommendations archived.

Thanks, I've been through a lot of death metal recs already, but I'm not really into most modern death metal unless it's generally mid-tempo and has a groove ... and in my listening experience, those seem to be few and far between.

I'm basically looking for thrash that's heavy on its own (Slayer), thrash that slows down and crunches (Suicidal Angels), doom that's heavy on it's own (Trouble), or any other genre that's generally mid-tempo and has big chunky (but not raspy) guitar tone and pounding mid-tempo drums.

Two prime examples would be:

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=482tDopNzoc"]Evisceration Plague - Cannibal Corpse[/ame]
[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFsRMuFOXHw"]The Carrion Call - Misery Index[/ame]

SUFFOCATION!!!!!!

Now that's getting closer. A friend played Efficy of the Forgotten for me years ago. I remember it sounding too muddy for my taste, but the newer stuff has a much clearer production. The guitar rhythms have a good groove, but the drums are a bit chaotic.

Actually, while listening to Suffocation on YouTube, Skinless' Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead popped up on the side menu. Now that's some brutally heavy mid-tempo stuff. A touch more chaotic than I wish, but so damn heavy I had to buy it.

Thanks.

And thanks to everyone else for the recommendations so far. Keep 'em coming.

I've just found the level of brutality and groove I'm looking for.

Last edited by a moderator: