Need some new stuff

MrPickle

New Metal Member
Nov 22, 2008
Could you guys help me get some new stuff please.

I like amazing guitar solos, and songs that you could listen to 100 times in a row without getting bored.

I like things like Necrophagist, Lamb of God, and the start of Before the Break of Dawn by As Bloods Runs Black, The odd bit of Arch Enemy and Beneath The Massacre. Just generally amazing guitars and drums. I don't really like the really really heavy screaming, Beneath the Massacre is the heaviest screaming I can tolerate.

I can't really explain exactly what I like, I'll listen to pretty much anything with amazing, skill full instrument playing.

Try to keep clear of all the metalcore stuff please :)

Do you not mind growls?

Sounds like you like polished guitar melodies, sweeping solos, double bass, thrashing riffs, and the odd blast-beat, but with a nice clean production.

The Black Dahlia Murder - Unhallowed - Very much with the blast-beats, melodies, heavy riffs, etc

The Faceless - Akeldama - A poor man's Black Dahlia Murder, but with lots of sweeping

Kreator - Enemy of God - brings it with the double bass, thrashing riffs, and polished melodies

Dark Empire - Humanity Dethroned - Lacking on the polished production side, but not too bad, awesome technical thrash/power metal

Death - The Sound of Perseverance - One of my favorite albums for guitar - amazing solos. From listening to this you can just hear the endless hours of playing that went into writing this album. A godlike performance, imo. Might be too much screaming for you.

Behemoth - Demigod - Godlike drumming, very technical performance overall.

Also Kalmah and Children of Bodom might appeal to you.

And then on the rougher production side there's Cynic, Atheist, older Death, and shitloads of other brilliant death metal bands.

Last edited by a moderator:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utqWrkVEQvI&feature=related[/ame]

Atheist.

The vocals aren't very extreme. Superb guitar playing and drumming. And almost perfect bass playing.

pretty fucking accurate description of the non-wanking sections tbh
the song I posted is actually one of maybe 2 on the album that's not a mash-up of TBDM worship and wankery. The last song is not only blatantly ripped off from them musically but lyrically it's pretty reminiscent of Closed Casket Requiem. And I mean, come on. Unhallowed was blatant AtG worship. So they're copying the copycats. What does that make them?

I don't mind growling, thanks for the suggestions. A few good ones.

I like the guitars in Dark Empire but I don't really like the singing, same goes for Kreator.

weird b/c kreator and dark empire have pretty different vocalists...
Well. Now I know what you're looking for guitar-wise. You should really try to get over the screams thing, there's a shitload of great stuff you're missing out on.

Also, what about those other ones?

Tell us what you think of these:
In Flames - Jotun (from the album Whoracle)

Dark Tranquility - Punish My Heaven (From the album The Gallery)

Nile - Execration Text (From the album In Their Darkened Shrines)

Amon Amarth - Asator (From the album With Oden On Our Side)

(Less technical, but very well composed badassery and Fredrick Anderson is pretty much a fucking beast on drums)

Maybe this is more your thing?

Vital Remains - Dechristianize
There's a lot of this - raw, intense death metal with beastly guitar playing. I just dunno if the rawness is a big turn-off for you, as all the stuff you mentioned has a fairly clean sound.

I'll go through them all one by one

The Black Dahlia Murder - I really liked these, pretty much hit the nail on the head.

The Faceless - I had listened to these before and couldn't remember their name, I like them.

Behemoth - I quite like these, not to fond of the vocals but I could grow to like it.

In Flames - Quite like these

Dark Tranquility - I really like the guitars, I can grow to like the vocals.

Nile - Nice guitars but I don't really like the vocals.

Amon Amarth - A friend let me borrow one of their CDs and it took me a while to like it, but eventually I did.

Vital Remains - Don't like them all that much, just seems a bit hectic.

The reason I don't like Athiest is because they sound a bit unstructured, a tad random. Maybe it's just the song you gave me.

I guess that I like, well structured, polished stuff with great guitar playing.

The reason I don't like Athiest is because they sound a bit unstructured, a tad random. Maybe it's just the song you gave me.

That's because it's supposed to be chaotic like that, yet still be well put together. With all of the time signature changes and shit.

The Black Dahlia Murder - I really liked these, pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Right. They have three albums out and the Faceless have one, so that's 4 for you.

Behemoth - I quite like these, not to fond of the vocals but I could grow to like it.
Okay, Demigod and The Apostasy are excellent albums. Their older stuff is great but in a different style, more black metal.

Slaves Shall Serve (From Demigod)

Be Without Fear (From The Apostasy)

In Flames - Quite like these
Okay, that's Whoracle. It has his deepest vocal performance, the other albums with Anders are more raspy and the last four are generally alternating singing and screaming. I would recommend Whoracle, Colony, Clayman, and The Jester Race, though.

Artifacts of the Black Rain (from The Jester Race)

Embody The Invisible (From Colony)

Only For The Weak (From Clayman)

Dark Tranquility - I really like the guitars, I can grow to like the vocals.
Sweet. That's my favorite album tbh. The Gallery is great. Also you could try their later stuff, like Fiction.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAhxcgfGmUs&feature=related[/ame]
Nothing To No One (From Fiction)
And if you like that try Soilwork (who are more growly)

Nerve (From Stabbing The Drama)
That's the only album I have from them, word is their other stuff is better...

Nile - Nice guitars but I don't really like the vocals.
Too deep? I think both guitarists alternate vocals and the other guy isn't as deep. Challenge your ears, man. It's good stuff.

Amon Amarth - A friend let me borrow one of their CDs and it took me a while to like it, but eventually I did.
Werd. Which album, btw?

This is Death In Fire, from Versus the World. Live footage from the bonus dvd to their latest Twilight of the Thunder God. Sounds better than on album. Only thing is Johan doesn't sing the last line of each verse. But the tapping part is immensely fucking epic.
Vital Remains - Don't like them all that much, just seems a bit hectic.
Too bad. You did get to the sweeping part, though, right? It's about 2:30 in. If you didn't, do so. Trust me, it's worth it.

That's the sort of thing you have to listen to a lot before you really get it. I always give prog metal albums a couple spins before trying to form an opinion. Lets the material sink in, you know?

I mean, but VR qualify for that. You seem to demand a really clean production as well. My guess is that will pass. But there's plenty of good stuff out there that's well produced.

The Faceless is far better than the BDM.

The Black Dahlia Murder write well-composed, interesting songs. The Faceless blatantly rip off the Black Dahlia Murder, and yet still all their songs wind up as mish-mashes of wankery, breakdowns, and TBDM worship that gets really irritating. Pestilence is an amazing song, but it's the only one I listen to.