I need to Buy.

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
I'm buying stuff. Here's a rundown of the sure things:

Two Shure SM57s
One Shure PG48-XLR

That's all I'm really solid on as for having 2 mics for catching a cab and the one microphone for vocals. Here's stuff I'm not so sure on listed below, and questions about brands:

5150- I hear a lot of talk about this cab or stack, whatever it is... What's all the hubub? It didn't have a very good rating on Musician's Friend. I realize you can't always trust reviews, but when hundreds of people create a user rating so low, that can be a bit unnerving about a product, eh? :erk:

Rig / Head/Cab - I'm looking for a "rig" (including head and cab) that sounds great, but there's no way for me to get out and try products. I am probably either going to buy online, or take the trek an hour away to Guitar Center to test them out. I've looked at the descriptions of Marshall half stacks, Peavey, Line 6, etc... but how do I decide on what to get? I don't want to regret my decision..

Mixing Board - I also need a mixing board that is capable of allowing multiple inputs for those two SM57s I've got there. That way, when I get the rig, I can record two tracks at once with the rhythm. I don't know much about these. Of course I want something that will work and sound great, but I don't want to go into poverty and live on the streets from the purchase!

So yeah... Can you guys help me out at all on this stuff?:zombie:

The two SM57's seems like a good choice for guitar. For vocals I'd rather use a SM58/SM7 anyday. 5150's are a great amp, no idea about the user rating on MF but it's wrong. If I were you I'd get a 5150 and a Mesa cab. But I don't know what kind of music you play. Do you need a mixing board or a interface to record to your DAW? If you need an interface take a look at the RME Fireface800. As far as mixing boards go there's a lot of varibles depending on what you need so I'd need more info.

Yeah, that's just you. :D

I'd be playing progressive metal, and black metal. Two very differing styles... I'd need a rig that was able. :) Also some melo-death and thrash. :p

So you said a 5150 head and a Mesa cab? I'll look it up, but can you give more info as to the choice? (like, why you choose that)

As for the mixing board, I basically need something that can process the multiple inputs. I don't want to get something cheap that I will need to upgrade in the near future. :zipit:

Yeah, that's just you. :D

I'd be playing progressive metal, and black metal. Two very differing styles... I'd need a rig that was able. :) Also some melo-death and thrash. :p

So you said a 5150 head and a Mesa cab? I'll look it up, but can you give more info as to the choice? (like, why you choose that)

As for the mixing board, I basically need something that can process the multiple inputs. I don't want to get something cheap that I will need to upgrade in the near future. :zipit:
For prog or black metal I think I would go Engl

I didn't realize this stuff would cost so much for each thing... I've got $2300 total, and each thing costs that much.... -_- Isn't there some secret gem that is great and doesn't break the bank? o.o

Can my computer even USE Firewire? How do I find that out? I'd probably have to get some kind of expansion card before I could even use that Firewire thing you posted, although it did look like a great choice. Also the EVH 5150 looks like a good choice as well. I need to get a job! :(

The 5150 (original) IS the "secret" gem, bar none - the average price on eBay is $600, so forget about an Engl unless you wanna put all $2,300 to it, and Marshall is mostly poop for metal. Mesa cabs are great because they use everyone's favorite Celestion Vintage 30 speakers and are excellently constructed, and there are bajillions on ebay. As for interfaces, RME Fireface 400 would be my recommendation.

$2300 total...well you can do okay with that. Just buy a PodXT for guitars. A SM58 for vocals. A Firestudio as your interface and spend the rest on a computer I guess. And use Reaper as your DAW because it's free. This will do okay...but you gotta realize, you've picked an expensive hobby. And yes, you do need to get a job.

Do NOT spend big bucks on the computer. Your mics, POD/amp/whatever, and interface(s) will be with you MUCH longer and you shouldn't need much processing power anyway.

If you're interested in a quick build, shoot me a PM with a budget and a list of features you'll need and I'll help you put one together.

Jeff

Are you sure about the price on that 5150? I found it on Musician's Friend and it is $3,099... I'm not interested in buying used or through eBay.

Would I be able to connect the firewire thing to my computers, or would I need some kind of adapter?

You're looking at the EVH 5150 III; the 5150 we're talking about is Peavey, and is now called the 6505 (so that's what you'll wanna search for) if you REALLY wanna spend the extra $500 to have it new. As for firewire, just get a pic of what a firewire cable looks like, and look around your computer for a socket that would fit it (it's also called 1394, so that's what it might be labeled as); if you don't have it, you can just get a PCI card that'll give you 3 FW ports for like $40.

I found it on Musician's Friend and it is $3,099... I'm not interested in buying used or through eBay.

If you lose that attitude you can get a lot more out of your money. You just have to talk with the sellers pre-buy and make sure everything is on the up and up. The best deals are on the forums and recently added buy it now auctions. Also, I've never had a problem that I wasn't able to resolve.

Used recording gear and instruments are plentiful can be a great value. In practice, I've probably been able to afford 2x as much gear thanks to the saturated used market, not to mention some extremely cool and useful items that aren't in production anymore.

I don't think you'll be finding a new block letter 5150 anytime soon.

Well when I hear used, I usually think "Scratched discs, defective wiring, faulty parts", etc.... So naturally when it comes to something so expensive and important, I need to be uber careful... I don't even buy used CDs. :(

As for the 5150 (or should I start calling it the 6505?) was on "sale" at GuitarCenter for a tiny bit, but probably only because it was a display model. They have the Peavey 6505 Plus 120W Guitar Amp Head on Musician's Friend. I played the thing at Guitar Center, and it was awesome; hot damn was it loud! I turned up the presence all the way, dropped the mids and low end, and raised the high all the way. That was crunchy as heck, and as a matter of fact, probably way too grim for anything I'll be playing. So I'm pretty solid on picking that up, thanks for your help with making that choice guys! :)

Secondly is the cab. Now this is much more hard to decide on. They said the 6505 cab was low quality and they don't carry it. I've read a lot of reviews that also mention the preamp tubes being low quality, so... I tried a Marshall cab to begin with, which was pretty cool. Then I tried a B-52 AT-412 480W 4x12 Mono/Stereo Guitar Cabinet which ripped my pants off pretty much. After that, I tried a 1960 Marshall cab, and wasn't too interested in plugging into a Line6 cab.... As a whole, I think my sights fell on the B-52.... What do you guys know about this cab? It's $399 which is what I would consider somewhat cheap for a cab, so let me know what's wrong with it or what is right with it, please? :)

Things are going good so far with my shopping adventure thanks to your helps. :p

Ehhh on the B-52
Everyone I've played has sounded really shitty.Maybe Its just the ones I've been playing.
If you want a 4x12 I'd reckon Mesa if you have the cash, 1960B Marshall, Or a Randall XL cab. All these cabs are rather expensive but they are totally worth it in my eyes, seeing as the cab is half of the battle.Just my thoughts though use the two fleshy things on the sides of your head though . They will guide you grasshopper.

My vote for a bargain cab would be a Carvin Legacy, cuz you definitely want Celestion Vintage 30 speakers and that B-52 definitely does not have 'em (but some B-52 cabs do, I think)

I turned up the presence all the way, dropped the mids and low end, and raised the high all the way.
:p

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA my ears ARE BLEEDING lol.

proud 5150 block letter owner here (yes i know it makes no difference internally)
and mine sounds great
i paid £100 for mine.
shop around and buy second hand matey!!