I need your help

Anyway to stay on topic. When I think of fantasy I think of the battle scenes in the LOTR movies :lol:

epic.jpg

I actually had a museum/art gallery studies course during the first semester of the bachelors program I just graduated from. We had to do a project in it where we had to come with our own ideas for an art show that focused on a particular theme or art style/medium. Being personally interested in fantasy art myself, I chose it as my theme. But I chose it not only out of self interest, but because I felt that it is a small genre of art that is greatly unappreciated and misunderstood.

For the project everyone had to take their theme ideas and create a very intricate portfolio which detailed every aspect of the planning of the show, just as a real gallery curator would. Anyway, I feel the title of my show does a good job of describing what I think of as fantasy art; Fantasy: Between Abstraction and Reality. I can appreciate both abstract and reality based art; however, what I love so much about fantasy art is that it is a good balance of both of these types of art. Fantasy themes are generally thought of as only consisting of things such as dragons, wizards, and elves; however, I feel they can be anything that consists of a world/setting that has qualities which resemble reality yet obviously contain abstract/magical qualities. For example, one of the artworks I used in my portfolio was a landscape scene of a boy on top of a plateau looking up at the sky (person of reality in a realistic landscape). In the sky is a huge wooden ship flying away (surreal/magical quality). I was a little nervous in the theme I chose because my instructor was one of those snooty uptight types who really only like highly abstract art; however, the artworks I chose truly piqued her interest and my presentation ended up being the most unique in the class as a lot of people half assed the project, while the others chose mostly ideas that were not unique or had been done before. BTW, not to brag but I got an A :p

Anyway, sorry for rambling; likewise, I am interested in seeing how your fantasy art turns out. I am especially interested that you said you were concentrating on doing landscapes because they are my favorite type of fantasy themed artwork. I especially like the work of that guy who does the cover art for the Ayreon albums such as Flight of the Migrator, Into the Electric Castle, and 01011001. Also, most of the art in my project were landscapes. If I could remember them without hunting for my portfolio, I would tell you the names of the artists I used so that you could check them out for maybe some inspiration. Anyway, good luck for now.