i really should have learned my lesson by now

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
that whenever my roomate tells me: "oh watch the tape of the new simpsons episode, it is exceptional." it is complete and utter shit. but yet there i was up till 1am watching what i was told was an amazing treehouse of horror that in reality barely made me laugh and depressed me even more. :(

The Homer as death thing bugged me b/c "coincidentally" the Cartoon Network had just aired the episode of the Family Guy where Peter Griffin becomes death (after the reaper started chasing him and tripped, twisting his ankle) so it was like "WTG? Now the show that was ripping off the Simpsons is being ripped off by the Simp... ah hell. Fuck them all."

Well, the thing with it for me now is that there's no real character development. Homer is Homer and stuff happens to Homer. Same with everyone else. They're close to being those $0.50 ripoff dolls I used to see at the flea market

kleo706 said:
Well, the thing with it for me now is that there's no real character development. Homer is Homer and stuff happens to Homer. Same with everyone else. They're close to being those $0.50 ripoff dolls I used to see at the flea market
F'real! I'm so glad somebody else gives as much thought to this stuff as I do. I'm one of the few people I know who actually lieks the first season, mainly because there seems to be some thought given to the characters and how they interact with each other. The show at this point has become The Wacky Adventures of Five Personalities You're Familiar With By Now.

Another thing that bugged me was I was reading a brief blurb about the new season and they had nothing much to say about plot. It was like "SPECIAL CELEBRITY GUEST!!! IN EVERY EPISODE!!!! EXCEPT THIS ONE!!!" About the last thing they need is new "characters" whose development is entirely external from the show. I mean yeah the Britney Spears emceeing with Kent Brockman was cute but Kid Rock, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.? What sort of actual statement in keeping with the spirit established through the good years of the show does it all make? Sure, they wink at how out of ideas they are when the Simpsons go to Delaware but getting a celeb for every episode rather than a you know COMPETENT writer ARRRRRRGH

Anyone else frightened by the fact that they're bringing back Homer's mom? Her first appearance was, IMO, a good episode. Homer AND Grandpa really showed some growth and Lisa seemed to make much more sense afterwards. Now... I half expect a Fast and Furious car chase rip off with the special guest voices from Tom Wopat, the Blonde Duke, and Burt Renoylds with a Jackie Gleason impersonator helping chief Wiggum...

The episode wasn't very good I have to admit. I have not seen a truly funny Simpsons episode in a long while

I have to disagree with Family Guy though, it was the funniest show on TV for all its run. My roommate bought the DVDs and watching them reminded me how funny that series was.

Anybody watched Arrested Development? Now here is a sitcom that shows a lot of promises but probably will fail horribly in the ratings because its way too intelligent for the average american. It reminded me a lot of the way Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson write their characters in their movies...

Well, I wasn't really dissing family guy. It's just that when the show started, there was a lot of sneering about how it was a Simpsons rip off. Very different styles of humour though, IMO.

As for A.D. . . . I had to talk to someone about the NJ metal fest while it was on. Oopsie!

I always thought that Family guy was the biggest satire of american pop culture that tv ever produced. Even though there are tons of shows that do this (ex:SNL) no other show did it with the wit Family Guy had. The Simpsons were at their best in joking about he american way of life, by the same token having some character development, and not trying to plug this pop star and that other show in there for the sake of of very limited laughs...

It took me a while to see how brilliant Family Guy is, at first I was all like 'Simpsons ripoff piece of shit'. It's actually incredibly funny.

New Simpsons is terrible. A while ago, Homer stopped being the real Homer, and turned into a parody of Homer. The new episodes all have terrible plots that rehash and beat to death old ideas, and all of the characters have long since become obsolete when it comes to teh funny, what with the shitty writing and all. Myself and my friend decided that when the writers ran out of funny gags they started overemphasizing the eccentricities and traits of the characters, so by now they have all burnt out completely.

Homer is dead. Case in point: The episode when he couldn't decide whether he was gay or not. Worst. Episode. Ever.

speaking of the celebrity guest shots on the simpsons, last night they showed the Rock Fantasy Camp one with Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Tom Petty, Lenny Kravitz, Elvis Costello, and Brian Setzer. that does annoy me- it seems like hype for sake of hype. same thing happened with the drew carey show for a while.