I Saw An Anathema CD In The Store...

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
...and I've heard some pretty good things about them. Like their style...a melodic, majestic style of metal, and that metal is the type of metal I truly enjoy. Stuff like Opeth, Katatonia, Daylight Dies, November's Doom, and a majority of melodic death metal and the Gothenburg sound.

How would you Anathema fans describe the music of Anathema? And would you recommend anyone to buy any Anathema CD?

Thank you!

I noticed you at the Katatonia site too....

Anathema are nothing like the bands you've mentioned. They're more like a polished kind of Katatonia (!), especially the last 4 albums or so. Don't worry, you'll love them. (Although this is obviously a ridiculous comparison. I meant that they focus more on atmospherics than rocking out these days.)

Go and immediately buy either: 'Alternative 4' (1998), if you want pure fucking sorrow (piano, clean vocals, aching melodies), or 'The Silent Enigma' (1995) if you want heavier stuff (doom riffs, semi-growled vocals, epic atmosphere). The former is one of the best albums created by any band, ever.

Overlord Purple Rainbow said:
I also saw a CD from a band called Amorphis. Are they similar? I'm gussing not, but they had a compilation CD with a DVD, so it looked really good... :D
it is very good! no they arent really similar, tho it depends how you see similarities, but i'd say no, tho they come from the same startingpoint: doom metal (amorphis used to be a bit faster).

requiem said:
I noticed you at the Katatonia site too....

Anathema are nothing like the bands you've mentioned. They're more like a polished kind of Katatonia (!), especially the last 4 albums or so. Don't worry, you'll love them. (Although this is obviously a ridiculous comparison. I meant that they focus more on atmospherics than rocking out these days.)

Go and immediately buy either: 'Alternative 4' (1998), if you want pure fucking sorrow (piano, clean vocals, aching melodies), or 'The Silent Enigma' (1995) if you want heavier stuff (doom riffs, semi-growled vocals, epic atmosphere). The former is one of the best albums created by any band, ever.
this sounds like a metal supermarket.

i'd go from present to past, by then you'd be up for the future.
so that's
A natural disaster
A fine day to exit
Judgement
Alternative 4
Eternity
The silent enigma
Pentecost III
Serenades/Crestfallen
old stuff
The Next One

Rainbow: You're the same guy that pops on bg board every now and then? That's the first time I hear you talk about something else than nutella and stuff. :lol:

just a note that we here at the anathema forum castrate anyone who posts and does not own alternative 4.

if you haven't purchased the album yet, we suggest that you soon do so to avoid further trouble.

thank you for your attention and we hope you enjoy browsing this lovely forum.