I think Charlie has competition??

I've been pimping Derek Roddy forever. I wouldn't say he is competition - he's a completely different school of drummer - but he is fucking amazing, hands down. Only people like Lord Galvatron would argue with me on that one :)

Derek is up there with Rich Christy. He has it all - the speed, the heart, and fills that will make you cum. Twice.

He's all double bass. That crappy intro is gay. He has to prove to me that he can do a little better with his hands because from looking at that solo it looks like he was one of those guys who just thinks double bass is everything. PUT A LITTLE MORE DYNAMICS IN THERE BUDDY.

Sandler was more entertaining :headbang:
During Roddy's solo I got up and went to stand in line to take a piss and buy a beer. Then I remembered, I was in my apt and, I don't drink anymore. Not that he's not a great drummer but , if I wanna hear some dude bang on his drum kit alone for 5 minutes (or 20 minutes) I'll go to the closest rock club and, watch some local band set up.

Thrillho said:
I've been pimping Derek Roddy forever. I wouldn't say he is competition - he's a completely different school of drummer - but he is fucking amazing, hands down. Only people like Lord Galvatron would argue with me on that one :)

Derek is up there with Rich Christy. He has it all - the speed, the heart, and fills that will make you cum. Twice.

I have met Derek at a Hate Eternal show, he is actually very technical and really knows his s tuff. His past albums are amazing, and seeing him live is just a thrill. The genre he plays in is all about double bass technique, but he has the skills, I have seen the dude warm up. VERY fast and talented, and a real nice dude.

MetalThrasher442 said:
He's all double bass. That crappy intro is gay.

He's not all double bass. check out http://www.derekroddy.com .
Theres some videos where he plays technical stuff without fast double bass.
And some from the recording of the lastest Hate Eternal record.

MetalThrasher442 said:
He has to prove to me that he can do a little better with his hands because from looking at that solo it looks like he was one of those guys who just thinks double bass is everything. PUT A LITTLE MORE DYNAMICS IN THERE BUDDY

Are you fuckin' kidding me? To say "do a little better with his hands" about anyone who plays blast beats is just plain stupid.

Look. I love extreme metal. They have some brilliant drummers (though for my money both Daray from Vader and Niles new drummer are better than Derek Roddy), but super technicality doesn't always win out. Sometimes I listen to some double bass blast beating son of a bitch and think, "shit, i wish he'd shut the fuck up and just mark time". Mind you, other times I listen to bands (especially those that have videos on tv) and think "why do you think you are a drummer?

The undisputed master of the drum solo is Mickey Dee (Motorhead) by the way. He actually manages to play a drum solo in his love concerts that remain interesting to non musicans. Alas, he has gay hair. (j/k)

I will give him alot of credit, he did alot of double bass and fill work before it ever became en vogue. Motorheads songs are timeless. For what its worth, they dont teach double bass anything in highschool or the colleges that I know of. Its all hand and time keeping, odd time, and double time. But, yes, a technical drummer does not a good drummer make, same with guitar. You can fly down the fretboard with sweep arpeggios all day, and Stevie Ray Vaugh will blow you away with 2 notes, possibly one.

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
But, yes, a technical drummer does not a good drummer make, same with guitar. You can fly down the fretboard with sweep arpeggios all day, and Stevie Ray Vaugh will blow you away with 2 notes, possibly one.

Blues is basically the first stuff you learn on guitar. Thus, people who do mostly blues solos (read: SRV, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and such) can't be really compared to guys like Malmsteen or others who play a technically far more demanding and complex music that takes a whole lot more time to be mastered (i.e. shredding, neo-classical sweep-picking, etc.). Much of the "blow away" factor, in my book, depends on the tone and the phrasing... some guys have it, some don't, be it neo-classical sweepers or the blues soloists. Just because they cringe their face and put "emotion" in some notes, doesn't mean that they're better guitarists...

Thrillho said:

yep. Richard Christy is awesome. Gene Hoglan is another one that comes to mind and in extreme metal, you also have to think Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy)..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3040224703638632433&q=flo+mounier

mentalmeltdown said:
Blues is basically the first stuff you learn on guitar. Thus, people who do mostly blues solos (read: SRV, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and such) can't be really compared to guys like Malmsteen or others who play a technically far more demanding and complex music that takes a whole lot more time to be mastered (i.e. shredding, neo-classical sweep-picking, etc.). Much of the "blow away" factor, in my book, depends on the tone and the phrasing... some guys have it, some don't, be it neo-classical sweepers or the blues soloists. Just because they cringe their face and put "emotion" in some notes, doesn't mean that they're better guitarists...

Some of those blues guitarists are just as technically brilliant as guys like Malmsteen. Don't forget guys like Tony Iommi and Jimmy Page play mostly blues licks in their solos. Check out anything off of the "Black Sabbath" album. It's basically blues with a wicked tone. In my opinion, guys like Malmsteen might be brilliant guitarists, but they don't have the songwriting skills to match. Yngwie bores the hell outta me and I love guitar albums!

And, if you have doubts of any of SRV's skill, check out "Tin Pan Alley" for some sweep picking and arpeggios. "Riviera Paradise" has some brilliant guitar work that any guitarist would be proud to have written and played. I highly recommend the "Live at the El Mocambo" DVD for some great playing as well.

All that being said, for anyone who loves great guitar check out a guy that goes by the name Bumblefoot (otherwise known as Ron Thal). He's a little on the weird side (Zappa must have influenced him), but he's got some great CDs out.

Exothrax said:
He's not all double bass. check out http://www.derekroddy.com .
Theres some videos where he plays technical stuff without fast double bass.
And some from the recording of the lastest Hate Eternal record.

Are you fuckin' kidding me? To say "do a little better with his hands" about anyone who plays blast beats is just plain stupid.

Woah Mr. 54 posts. I was in a bad mood. Man all I had to judge him by was that solo. Your defending a guy you don't even know.

Canucklehead said:
Some of those blues guitarists are just as technically brilliant as guys like Malmsteen. Don't forget guys like Tony Iommi and Jimmy Page play mostly blues licks in their solos. Check out anything off of the "Black Sabbath" album. It's basically blues with a wicked tone. In my opinion, guys like Malmsteen might be brilliant guitarists, but they don't have the songwriting skills to match. Yngwie bores the hell outta me and I love guitar albums!

And, if you have doubts of any of SRV's skill, check out "Tin Pan Alley" for some sweep picking and arpeggios. "Riviera Paradise" has some brilliant guitar work that any guitarist would be proud to have written and played. I highly recommend the "Live at the El Mocambo" DVD for some great playing as well.

While Malmsteen can play a lot of blues/SRV stuff, i'm not sure SRV or many of them blues wunderkinds can (or could in SRV's case :( ) play Malmsteen's stuff. You can't compare the sweep picking and arpeggios that Malmsteen does with those of SRV. You just can't! SRV is a great guitarist - probably the best there was in guitar-based blues, but you can't compare him with Malmsteen when it comes to sheer technical ability (speed, picking, modal playing, etc..).

Malmsteen bores the hell outta me and, I play guitar. I can't imagine he offers anything to a non-player. Once you've played the sweeping arpeggio 1000 miles an hour who cares if you can now do it 1001 miles an hour. Ritchie Blackmore should have sued him for stealing his persona. That guy could crank out the solo on "Highway Star" and wrote the most memorable riff in rock guitar "Smoke on the Water" proving technique and simple guitar playing should go hand in hand.

mentalmeltdown said:
While Malmsteen can play a lot of blues/SRV stuff, i'm not sure SRV or many of them blues wunderkinds can (or could in SRV's case :( ) play Malmsteen's stuff. You can't compare the sweep picking and arpeggios that Malmsteen does with those of SRV. You just can't! SRV is a great guitarist - probably the best there was in guitar-based blues, but you can't compare him with Malmsteen when it comes to sheer technical ability (speed, picking, modal playing, etc..).

I have no doubt that SRV or a lot of those blues guitarists could pull off a lot (if not all) of what Malmsteen plays. It's fast, but it's all patterns. A friend of mine is a Malmsteen freak and could play the stuff when he was 17 or 18. Give a guy with natural talent (SRV, Shepherd, etc.) a chance and he could probably play it too. Personally, I wasn't impressed with Malmsteen's blues playing. He absolutely ruins "Little Wing" and "Voodoo Chile" on the G3 disc. He doesn't know how to play slowly. Everything he does is at 1000 notes a minute.

BTW, it's nice to argue with someone who doesn't insult my intelligence or taste!! :headbang:

mentalmeltdown said:
You can't compare the sweep picking and arpeggios that Malmsteen does with those of SRV. You just can't! SRV is a great guitarist - probably the best there was in guitar-based blues, but you can't compare him with Malmsteen when it comes to sheer technical ability (speed, picking, modal playing, etc..).

Well, actually, you can. It is an age old argument for guitarists. There is as much theory in blues as there is in speed neo-crap guitar playing. It takes just as much talent and knowledge to pull a SRV or Eric C. or what have you's as it does shred. Shred just sounds better because of the million notes per measure. But in a small regard you are right Mentalmeltdown. It is all within the genre too. Malmsteen cannot "play" blues. He can probably make a sound or tone similar, but he doesnt have that "part" it is not his style. SRV probably could sweep and play the neo classical stuff, but the quality would not be that of Malmsteen or Vai. Meh, I am biased because I hate Mr, Malmsteen, not becaues of his playing, but because of his ego AND his playing. Can I sweep? No. Can I do what he does? No, I have my own thang that I do. Oh well. MY two cent worth here.