i think i am gonna buy some flour today and try to make bread this weekend

I had a period where I made bread every other day or so for a few months. My parents had one of those cool breadmaker machines, so clearly this is no reflection of any cooking skeelz I might have, but the shit was GOOD. Rye and pizza bread were my favourites.

my mom has one of those machines. it's really neat how it does alllll the kneading and stuff?
i was thinking of making yeast free sourdough bread. the thing is, the oven in my apartment SUCKS! smoke always comes pouring out of it for no apparent reason and i can never tell what temperature it is.

Yeah! It even times the rising and everything just right. Amazing, this tecknollergy stuff.

Does yeast-free sourdough come out like matzo? Or do the fermentations give it some rise?

well you make a sourdough starter by fermenting some small amount of dough for a few days, and then using that. it rises almost exactly the same as yeasted bread, but doesn't taste cakey and weird.

i haven't ever made sourdough bread, but i like making regular bread. just last weekend i made some- my gf's sister stopped at the store for us and picked up the yeast. however, being unaware of the usual cooking of bread, she bought refrigerated yeast instead of the dry active yeast. i hadn't ever seen it before- it came in a little square, was moist, and had a very odd texture.

but regular bread isn't too terrible to make- just mix the water and yeast and some salt/sugar and then start adding flour until it feels right. then, let it rise once in a big bowl for a couple hrs and then knead into a loaf and throw it in the oven for like 40 minutes real high. it may come out doughy, but i kinda like it that way.
maybe use some egg white/water/oil mixture to give it a shine on the crust toward the last 10 minutes of baking it.

I'm under the impression that the difficulty of breadmaking is just what you describe: there's a lot of "you have to know" just how much of what to put in it, how long to let it rise and bake, etc....total trial-and-error to learn, I guess...?

Originally posted by xfer
I'm under the impression that the difficulty of breadmaking is just what you describe: there's a lot of "you have to know" just how much of what to put in it, how long to let it rise and bake, etc....total trial-and-error to learn, I guess...?
nah, it's not even that difficult- recipes are all pretty easy to follow. that's all from the recipe i used, i just don't know the quantities off hand. it probably does help to do trial and error to learn, but it's not that bad.

yea, most bread cookbooks will tell you... a few loaves will come out crappy here and there.. but it's not as hard as people make it out to be. also, with yeast it's pretty damn easy, especially if you use baking sodas (i can't eat those!)

basic bread ain't hard - it's when you start adding other things that it starts to have the potential to come out weird. I can make a decent olive oil bread.

oh, you can't eat yeast? (sorry, i totally missed that point)
hm. that makes this more difficult...

i sometimes make a flatbread kind of thing- it's just like flour, salt, and water mixed together and rolled flat. then you can drizzle some olive oil for taste and bake it. it's more crunchy than loaf bread, but it's good for throwing a vegetable stir fry kind of pizza thing together.

well, i know a pretty famous french macrobiotic baker from MA who sent me a recipe that he says would be easy enough for me! normally honestly i freeze his bread and take it here with me! or get some if i am desperate, from whole foods.
it's a little harder, but once you get fermentation down it's easier.