I think i am gonna buy a Dual REC! (but which one!?!)

CatharsisStudios

trcksngsrpbngs
Jun 25, 2008
so i am thinking about the 3 channel dual rec. lets get some opinions...

i am getting tired of my 5150 ;\ and i think its time to move on, so what do i need to look for? seriously

GOT YA MARCUS
jk man.
no but really i need to get some new tonage

are you in the US? Our studio has one for sale. That's not a solid solid price , I'm sure he could work out a deal with ya if he had to ship it. IF you want it shipped. I personally wouldnt, too much bouncing around. But the offers there my friend.

Mesa Dual Rectifier - $1200
New Tubes, biased and serviced last week

Well Ryan, I'm still not sure if you're serious or not, but I'll be doing my comparison between the 2 ch., 3 ch., and Roadster in the next week or two - however, my experience with my 2 ch. and every clip I've heard of it through a Recto cab is it's definitely raw and aggressive, but also has a 6k fizz that's really trying (listen to the beginning of "Medicated Nation," it's especially obvious there IMO), whereas the newer Recto tones like "Demigod" are a lot slicker with perhaps a bit less rawness and more processed sounding, but that dreadful fizz is tamed. But rather than selling my amp on this speculation, I'll test it out back to back and make clips with the other variants of Dual Rec, making my decisions the scientific way! :headbang:

How about you put your tampongs back on the shelf and get a goddamn Triple Rectifier, you wuss.

Actually I have no idea, since I haven't played one, I just though it would be fun to say that. Sorry. :(

I think the hi-gain on the 2ch sounds the tightest - but the flexibility of the 3ch is wonderful - especially if you use more than just clean/heavy or crunch/heavy. I never did like the multiple 1/4" jacks for the footswitches on the 2ch, too many cables running out the back.

(there are only 2 jacks, wishtheend :D) And I got a custom footswitch made for mine with a 7-pin DIN cable on one end and a split into two 1/4" TS cables on the other end!

And the triple seems exceedingly pointless to me, my Dual is already SO FUCKING LOUD, and a triple just means more money to have to spend when tube replacing time comes along!

(there are only 2 jacks, wishtheend :D) And I got a custom footswitch made for mine with a 7-pin DIN cable on one end and a split into two 1/4" TS cables on the other end!
Oh I know :lol: but 1 midi cable > 2 trs cables PLUS the addition of the boost is quite nice.

But I agree, the triple is overkill. No one is ever pushing the amp loud enough to really juice the tubes anyways.

3 channel is cheaper and it DOES sound lezz fizzy
I don't give a shit if a tons of people say the opposite

How is a 3 channel cheaper? Usually they go for more than the twos, unless its a rackmount one, which are a little more rare.

Also, have you owned both/had the opportunity to play both at the same time? I suppose our dear Marcus will help us out with this one.

He might mean cheaper as far as construction goes, and I have heard they went for more streamlined and speedy production techniques (ribbon-cables and such) when they went to the 3 channels - whatever, not like it affects the sound!

I meant cheaper since people think the 2 channel is the holy grail of tone, so they charge more for an used 2 channel more than a 3 channel.
At least over here usually happens, something like :
"This is the 2 channel version, not the crap 3 channel version, totally muddy and one dimensional"
Lol

Yeah, I always see that too on ebay, and don't even get me started on the low serial #/early revision ones! :rolleyes: