Single vs Dual rectifier

s34nsm411 said:
the difference with having 50 extra watts is headroom, with metal tones you want the distortion comming from the preamp. poweramp distortion makes it sound flubby, not tight and articulate sounding. make sure you turn off the rectifiers and switch to diodes also (for metal)

REALLY? Can anyone else contest to this i have both my mesa's on Rectifier tube setting. but if you think it sounds better for metal using the diodes i will try it tonight:kickass:

musickey said:
REALLY? Can anyone else contest to this i have both my mesa's on Rectifier tube setting. but if you think it sounds better for metal using the diodes i will try it tonight:kickass:

I had a 3-channel Triple Recto awhile back, I didn't have it that long though as it was traded for a Mark IV...so I don't remember much about the tube recto in THAT amp......

...but...

...I did own a VHT 50/CL Pittbull (best head I have EVER played) and it had a switchable rectifier. Solid state diodes or the 5U4 recto tube. Playing with the tube recto is going to give you just a bit more sag, where the SS recto will be just a touch tighter.

stringysbigrig.jpg

God I miss that lil' baby. :cry:

I just did an album with TYR (Napalm Records), who brought 2 Triple Recto heads, and comparable with my Dual Recto, their heads were much more bright - close to annoying. They had this sizzle (kazoo?) to their tone, that I couldn't get rid of. It was very pronounced on the Modern setting, which I normally don't use.

I'd tell your friend that he should go and buy a 2nd hand Dual Recto (never heard a single). It can play "Spongy or Bold" (I believe it's 75w or 100w, right?), and sounds great. But maybe he should consider something that fits his style perfectly. There are so many amps out there - try some different ones. Marshall, Randall, Engl - whatever. See what tone you like.