I think I just *got* Periphery

I think wether or not anyone is a fan of any particular band , there are only a few bands who have really developed a style/sound of their own . Meshuggah
definitely have this and they have clearly influenced many , when I first heard Sikth (although not a fan of the vocals) I thought they sounded quite unique at the time . A lot of the kids listening to bands like Periphery seem to have a relatively poor understanding of what went before , therefore it goads others when they see a new band being put on a pedal stool behind a wave of hype .

new band being put on a pedal stool
1268605670034.jpg

You'd better be joking

I hate to be the guy who says, "Their old stuff was better," especially in response to a debut album, but I didn't dig the album as much as the old Soundclick clips. That said, I do like the album. It sounds great, even though the vocals and production sound aren't really my cup of tea. They're also really fun live. I saw them with Fear Factory, and they dominated that stage.

Eh, I like Periphery's album just as much as SikTh's albums.
One band (SikTh) focused more on wacky elements, avant-garde-ish stuff at times, whereas Periphery focuses a little more on the traditional progressive metal side of things (such as the long composition of Racecar for example) while clearly also drawing influence from many experimental/tech acts like Meshuggah etc.
It's just different music really, and I can appreciate both for what they are

Hmm where to start.

I pre ordered the periphery cd. Going off the couple years i had been listening to bulb/misha/periphery I figured I would support him.

After getting it I was a little disappointed. Programmed drums STILL, and a singer I had never heard before. I would have loved to hear this album with Travis Orbin on drums (youtube him if you dont know) and Casey Sabol on Vocals. Casey was the same style but just made it sound better in my opinion.

Now, when I got the pre-ordered disk it came with a 2nd cd consisting of all instrumental tracks. You guys should try to get a listen to those when you get a chance.

As far as the whole Meshuggah / Sikth thing...In the guitar work and no-fear of putting clean vocals wherever you want. There is a lot of Sikth influence. But, to say Periphery is Sikth 2.0 is more than a far shot. With the Meshuggah side I hear the attempted head-fucks on the rhythm, its just in a shorter scale of time. Periphery rhythms have an A.D.D. feel as opposed to Meshuggah's trance type of feeling.

That's just my 2 cents.