I think I just *got* Periphery

I don't get all the hate of the mix.
It may be a little more plastic sounding than most of his demos (which somehow manage to sound strangely organic, like an unfamiliar alien life form or something) but it's so insanely rhythmic and punchy and physical, the drums literally massage your body.

^^ Not a fair comparison, Gaslight Anthem is sick as FUCK. 59 Sound was one of my favorite records of 2008, and American Slang is damn good, too.

I didn't mean it as an A/B musical comparison, I should have worded that better, my bad. I meant it more as a re-listenability factor: the majority of us had already heard multiple versions of the songs, so once the "real" CD came out, I'd hazard that those who were familiar with the songs really didn't spend a lot of time listening to the "official" release (myself included).

I didn't mean it as an A/B musical comparison, I should have worded that better, my bad. I meant it more as a re-listenability factor: the majority of us had already heard multiple versions of the songs, so once the "real" CD came out, I'd hazard that those who were familiar with the songs really didn't spend a lot of time listening to the "official" release (myself included).

I don't think I meant my comment as seriously as you took it - I just really like TGA. (they've got good intials... see below! :lol: )

I don't get all the hate of the mix.
It may be a little more plastic sounding than most of his demos (which somehow manage to sound strangely organic, like an unfamiliar alien life form or something) but it's so insanely rhythmic and punchy and physical, the drums literally massage your body.

I don't either.
I can think of A LOT of mixes that sound far worse than this.
Could the mix be better? Of course, but I don't think that makes it a bad mix by any stretch of the imagination.
As you said, really brings out the rhythmic nature of the music.

Never really heard this band so just had a listen as they seem to be creating a stir . Sounds like what Sikth Messuggah etc have been doing for years also not very original as they borrow from these influences a bit too heavily imo . Vocals are not really to my taste but I can see how a younger fans will dig the whole package . On the whole well executed , don't know what all the fuss is about .

Thank god he didn't - every live video I've seen so far as been quite painful to watch, and even some of the recorded lines are quite cringeworthy.

This is true. His audition piece to us was quite flattering though.

While I am not a huge fan of the *djent-ty* stuff. I gave this a chance cause Misha is such a nice guy. For what it is I really think its great. Not a huge fan of the singer.

Got to see them live with Fear Factory a few months ago and they were great. Really just proves to me that some bands you just have to see live to appreciate the music, Minus the singer of course :p

I actually think Periphery are much better than Sikth, and I hear some Meshuggah in there... but they're more melodic than Meshuggah and come across way less 'we're being evil coz evil is cool' type of vibe.

Fear Factory now there is a singer who can't stay in tune ! The Sikth comparison was really more to do with riffing than anything . It just seems
that there is a tendency from some to suggest Periphery are more ground
breaking than perhaps they are .

Lulz @ Jeff's response.

The singer of periphery sometimes hits these notes that just completely clash with the melodies. Sometimes he can beeping, others I get a lump in my throat, Lulz. Not to disrespect at all, just how I hear it as well.

Fear Factory now there is a singer who can't stay in tune !

I have to find the photo, they were using a Helicon to keep him in tune ....lol I was right next to the board all night and the unit was on Bypass till FF came on ...lol

I do have to say the current FF lineup was monstrous live, but Periphery was way better. The energy they put off was great. I really dont like their vocalist but they sounded AMAZING. Looked like Misha was using a Line 6 head live at that show. The old red ones with a rack on top. I dont think he was on the Axe-FX yet.

I actually think Periphery are much better than Sikth, and I hear some Meshuggah in there... but they're more melodic than Meshuggah and come across way less 'we're being evil coz evil is cool' type of vibe.

Nah man,

To me, Periphery just sounds like Meshuggah watered down so that the scene-kids won't feel like they're missing out on the br00tal djent trend.

Watering down Meshuggah by adding some actual musical content. :lol:

Have to agree with Drew, I honestly can't listen to Sikth.

Meshuggah either but for different reasons, it's just too dry, one monotonal riff per 4 minutes never made a masterpiece album to me, but to each his own.