I think the excuse of "those songs are too technical to play live" is bullshit

Clay-Man

Anders pre-2003
May 18, 2008
I'm not the best technical guitar player and I can play shit like 90% of Colony's harmony guitars on 1 single guitar.

If I can do stuff like that then I see no excuse about not being able to play the old songs. There's songs they play live that sound flat because instead of designating separate guitar parts to the guitarists, they both play rhythm.

Really? Why would you do that, that's the whole reason you have 2 guitarists.

When you get a dual lead thing going just let the bassist handle the rhythm.

These excuses are poor and irrelevant. It's just laziness really.

I don't mean to be a dick, but it's obviously bullshit.

Yeah, we've been over this in good detail in the official SC thread :D it is an absolute bullshit excuse. If they don't want to play the older songs then fine, I just wish they'd be honest about why.

You only have to listen to bootlegs from 1998/1999 to hear how incredible the older songs sound live. If they could do it then, as much less experienced musicians, why would they not be able to do it now? It makes no sense. It's a silly reason to give and makes them look cowardly by failing to tell the truth.

The other main excuse they give is that "the crowd don't move" ... which may be true, I don't know, but are they suggesting the crowd moves more for 8 minutes of The Chosen Pessimist? Were the crowd dead in the videos we've seen of Resin, The Hive, Colony, etc? No. Another cowardly excuse to avoid telling the truth.

Tbh you could even do both. Like get the $$$ from the shows and create music you value highly as an artist. No1 cares if your cds are not sold in this era. Yes-yes, I know, "but SC is shit too", but that was not my point now.

I'm not the best technical guitar player and I can play shit like 90% of Colony's harmony guitars on 1 single guitar.

If I can do stuff like that then I see no excuse about not being able to play the old songs. There's songs they play live that sound flat because instead of designating separate guitar parts to the guitarists, they both play rhythm.

Really? Why would you do that, that's the whole reason you have 2 guitarists.

When you get a dual lead thing going just let the bassist handle the rhythm.

These excuses are poor and irrelevant. It's just laziness really.

I don't mean to be a dick, but it's obviously bullshit.

Yeah, I'm not a capable guitar player but I (we) can play like 80% of early-mid IF stuff live with no problems. There are some rare moments when you have to cut off rhythm guitar or one melody line, but that's it. Normal situation when you do studio stuff live (Just think how much stuff they have to exclude when doing modern day IF songs live).

One of few stupid excuses N'Flamez use these days.

To make things worse, they have hours and hours of recorded audio and video material to prove they are talking nonsense.

Yeah, I'm not a capable guitar player but I (we) can play like 80% of early-mid IF stuff live with no problems. There are some rare moments when you have to cut off rhythm guitar or one melody line, but that's it. Normal situation when you do studio stuff live (Just think how much stuff they have to exclude when doing modern day IF songs live).

This. The only time they lack guitars is dual harmonies which does not sound as bad as they think. Again, let Peter cover for the rhythm during those parts.

It's one of the reasons why I get mad about them not playing the clean parts of Colony, because it's one of the key parts that makes that song sound epic, and yet not a single guitar player can play that part? Really? You fucking serious? I can play every single note on one guitar live easy.
All you have to do is play them in thirds, and I know Bjorn is capable of doing that, he does it for some of the songs.

The hardest shit to play is honestly like 80% of Come Clarity songs because of how fast and compact the playing is, which is probably why we don't hear many Come Clarity songs live anymore besides the essential hits.

I know damn well that Bjorn is a better guitar player than me though, no doubt in my mind, but the earlier In Flames guitar stuff is honestly not hard to play at all, it's just very melodic.

It's one of the reasons why I get mad about them not playing the clean parts of Colony, because it's one of the key parts that makes that song sound epic, and yet not a single guitar player can play that part? Really? You fucking serious?

This!

Fuck, they are so lazy live.

Colony, some OFTW melodies... What is the point of having two decent guitar players when they just stand there and chug basic rhythm?