I need a goal in guitar playing, aka "cool hard songs to play"

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hi dudes,

I was watching the on-stage video of thomas haake (meshuggah's drummer) playing Bleed, thinking this would be my goal if ever I have a drumkit at home one day (and BTW, his snare sounds so good on this vid). Then I was thinking "it's like the master of puppets of extreme metal drummers" (even if the difficulty is not the same).

And then I realized I was not playing guitar anymore because I have no particular song or set of song I would like to play and that is really harder than what I can achieve with some intense but effective work. When I started guitar playing, there were some SOAD songs, then some metallica, in flames or COB songs I digged and were sort of what I was aiming in guitar playing. I still can't really play the hardest COB songs especially most solos but still it's not like it's too far from what I would achieve if I worked on it seriously. And so, it's not so much a challenge anymore and I don't try to play them.

So, my question is : do you have really cool songs in mind that are really difficult to play rythmically, and which possibly involve a cool and hard solo (but not necessarily something uber-shreddistic). It has to be cool, really cool songs cause I cannot just "work" on my guitar.

To sum it up, I need cool songs to have pleasure again just playing the guitar and not thinking about its production, and that are a challenge to play, which would led me taking this ESP SV standard or this Dean ML I have and that don't play that much anymore.

Also, this thread can be a list of songs you digged learning and that improved your playing, it may be helpful for other people, dunno.

I'm on a quest to learn the whole Epitaph album by Necrophagist, ever since I got the tabbook for my birthday last year.
That shit is challenging on so many levels it's ridiculous, I basically spend months on learning a song and getting it clean. Obviously that really helps improving my playing, and the feeling of achievement when I'm finally able to play a song along to the CD is awesome.

Let's see whether I finish that quest before Necrophagist put out their next album. :D

Dude if you can play the whole album you should record it on video, necrophagist is still out of my league :lol:. I mean I could play some parts but it's so hard to play those leads that clean !

One thing I would have loved to do is play most songs from Nevermore's This Godless Endeavour, but I don't own a 7 string and can't afford one. The balance between awesome riffing and awesome leads is nice and there aren't unplayable. It's just loomis play them so well.

Hum I'm thinking of BTBAM "ants of the sky". One of my favourite songs ever, and BTBAM sure includes everything from jazz chords to fast chugga riffing...

I highly recommend Angra's "Nova Era".

The tapping intro to the solo has a pretty tricky rhythm to master and the main solo is not only awesome but has lots of alternate picking and some pretty damn fast string skipping at the end...

I'm working on it at the minute and I'd have to say it's one of the hardest solos I've ever attempted. Fatal Tragedy by DT got the better of me (for now!) so that's back on the list after.

Well, it won´t cover the "cool songs" factor, but this info was taken from Paul Gilbert's website and might help you

Q: What advice do you have for an up and coming guitar player?

A: Practice all the time. Learn one new thing every day. And try to learn these songs:

1. "Circumstances" by Rush (from the album "Hemispheres")
2. "Mother Mary" by UFO (from "Strangers in the Night")
3. "Little Dreamer" by Van Halen (from "Van Halen")
4. "If I Fell" by The Beatles (from "A Hard Day's Night")
5. "Riff Raff" by AC/DC (from "If You Want Blood You've Got It")
6. "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" by The Ramones (from "Rocket to Russia")
7. "Gettin' Betta" by Pat Travers (from "Live! Go For What You Know")
8. "Day of the Eagle" by Robin Trower (from "Bridge of Sighs")
9. "Majestic" by Journey (from "Evolution")
10. "No Matter What" by Badfinger (from "The Very Best of Badfinger")

After that, you should be ready for anything!

I don't have a 7 string. I already learned some parts, like the chorus riff of Born, cause it's just one of the most awesome metal riffs ever and it doesn't involve the low string a lot. But I just can't afford another guitar.

Textures - Stream of Consciousness
Meshuggah - Soul Burn
Bumblefoot - Guitars Still Suck (crazy song :lol:)
SRV - Rude Mood

Megadeth - Tornado of Souls
Megadeth - Holy Wars
Ozzy - Crazy Train
Pantera - Art of Shredding

Those are some songs with tough rhythm playing and good solos.

Megadeth - Tornado of Souls
Megadeth - Holy Wars
Ozzy - Crazy Train
Pantera - Art of Shredding

Those are some songs with tough rhythm playing and good solos.

I don't think I've ever seen ANYONE play those Marty Friedman solos 100 per cent accurately.
Everyone can play the notes, but I've never seen anyone perfectly capture the same feel and nail all those little nuances.
Nonetheless, sick songs to learn, Tornado of Souls is probably the best Megadeth song ever.

Hum I'm thinking of BTBAM "ants of the sky". One of my favourite songs ever, and BTBAM sure includes everything from jazz chords to fast chugga riffing...

If you've got a guitar in C# standard, fuck yeah go for it. The whole album of Colors has months worth of stuff you could practice.

'Miasma' and 'What A Horrible Night to Have a Curse' by The Black Dahlia Murder.
These songs are very helpful with developing rhythm speed and stamina, if you're interested in working on those areas. It's best to practice them with a metronome, and not just tremolo pick as fast as you can trying to chase the beat. If you aim to get every sixteenth note on time, you'll find it pretty hard at first!

The solos are not hard, and actually feel like you're taking a break from the rest of the song. Actually, the solos aren't that cool either. TBDM solos are only cool on the newest album.