Just got a new acoustic...what should I play?

TRA

Just another nobody
Feb 17, 2009
I haven't played an acoustic guitar in years, and I picked one up last night. Any free resources for learning cool acoustic specific songs/techniques?

What are you favorite things to play?

I love Zakk Wylde's "Book Of Shadows" album. (Nice acoustic songs with some electric playing here and there).
Richie Kotzen's "Acoustic Cuts" album is great too.
Just buy those CD's and start learing some of those songs by ear.

On youtube you can find many acoustic songs performed by Richie Kotzen. (If you want to see his exact fingerings).

check out "Blackbird" (Beatles)....once you manage the picking it's a real sweet tune.

Hey there Delilah
What's it like in New York City?
I'm a thousand miles away
But girl, tonight you look so pretty
Yes you do
Times Square can't shine as bright as you
I swear it's true

Check out Pat Metheney's 'One Quiet Night' - you won't likely have an easy time with those songs because he was playing a baritone (tuned to A or something like that) but it's a good idea of what you can do with an acoustic.

Jeff

do some acoustic gorguts covers
the art of sombre ecstasy on acoustic, rofl

TBH im not.I like their music, but i just can't find what's the big deal about them.Bottom line,it's all a matter of taste.Like Manowar.Others love em,others hate em:)

why not adapting songs and writing your own acoustic versions...??

in the style of Sonata Arctica's cover of Fade to Black where they completely change the middle section where metallica up the tempo, they change it to acoustic...

totally EPIC!!

regarding acoustics, any suggestions from anyone here for a decent recording quality acoustic that won't tear a hole in my wallet??

or if there already a thread on this topic, could anyone point me in that direction??