Acoustic metal?

I think it's an interesting concept, but if you were to play some "acoustic metal," I doubt people would recognize it for what it is.

I think, if it's not even recognizable as metal, then it probably isn't metal.

Acoustic metal.

Well, it's my first metal effort of any sort (let alone acoustic metal), so it's fairly juvenile. But you can get a very good idea of the direction I'm talking about. Every sound is acoustic except for a bit of feedback from the mic on one or two songs. Check out Not Through Learning pt2, it's probably the best example. This album is kind of metal/post-rock/noise, oh and there are 3 folk songs on it ('cause that style's so easy for me). My next one will be pure metal.

No offense, but this sucks balls. Maybe if you made it electric, all instrumental, and made the songs 3 seconds long?

Sendspace/filefactory/megaupload/rapidshare/etc are your friends.

To be honest im queit turned off to the idea of posting my music on the internet entirely but for the sole purpose of this thread I will do it.

Acoustic metal.

Well, it's my first metal effort of any sort (let alone acoustic metal), so it's fairly juvenile. But you can get a very good idea of the direction I'm talking about. Every sound is acoustic except for a bit of feedback from the mic on one or two songs. Check out Not Through Learning pt2, it's probably the best example. This album is kind of metal/post-rock/noise, oh and there are 3 folk songs on it ('cause that style's so easy for me). My next one will be pure metal.

I think there's a lot of potential for acoustic metal. The acoustic guitar is fucking ace and modern music only taps a tiny little bit of its potential. It can play hard music that is typically given only to the electric guitar. Acoustic and electric guitars aren't all that different. My example of some very fierce, fluid and 'electric' acoustic guitar music is Bob Dylan's self-titled debut album. I mean, it's a folk-blues album from 1962. But it's harsh. Not heavy, but very intense.

When I started getting into metal one of the first things I looked for was acoustic metal but Impaled Northern Moonforest was all I could find. I don't consider a band like Agalloch or Opeth to have much to do with acoustic metal -- they're just bands that include non-metal acoustic parts.

Wow. WTF. Ill post something in 3-4 days... check back!

I like the idea of acoustic metal. actually, I've been playing for ages and had many rehearsals unplugged too, with my friends that are all old metal players and sometimes we had really brutal acoustic jam sessions. I still have some records on tapes... hehe... records on tapes sound ridiculous nowadays, but anyway. the whole fkn box of tapes... I know I better get my ass up to convert them to digital format but have too little time for this. but I know that acoustic metal is possible, very possible.
recently in one of my bands we experimented with different instruments too. we played metal with brass and winds, with violins, with tambourines, accordion and other instruments. so I think it's very possible to play it with acoustic guitar. lately I heard like one of my friends, a very old and skilled black metal musician played acoustic for his album. this sounded really neat. I wouldn't mind to play such things myself, I like experiments a lot.

ords on tapes... hehe... records on tapes sound ridiculous nowadays, but anyway. the whole fkn box of tapes... I know I better get my ass up to convert them to digital format but have too little time for this.

Thats why I havent posted anything yet, dont know how to transfer from tape to digital + to lazy to record into audacity. Can you tell me how to do it?

Haha, grandpas guitars. I love acoustic metal. Like Opeth's Damnation album. This is the kind of music me and my friend Tasha are writing. I don't really know what to call it. There is nothing else out there like slow Opeth. You can hardly call it metal though. My boyfriend says the things I write sound like "witch metal". It's just dark sounding acoustic stuff. I'd like to see more of this around, so props to you.

Now I shall self advertise our Opeth cover...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZJ_Yc5t3A

Thats why I havent posted anything yet, dont know how to transfer from tape to digital + to lazy to record into audacity. Can you tell me how to do it?

I use Ardour myself, but whatever software is used I doubt there's any other way of converting tape records but recording via simple line-in from tape recorder. and then a long time to cut the records to pieces, cleaning up noise, etc. that's exactly what distracts me from that process so badly.

I dream of buying acoustic bass. like to play bass solo lines with vocal. and if I had a decent acoustic bass I could make some kind of acoustic metal too. my fretless Carvin bass has piezo pickups as well, so it may sound a bit like double bass. but double bass is too huge to me, I guess - so I think about getting acoustic bass like Carvin.