Wolves in The Throne Room

http://www.darkthrone.no/news/index.php

This is their official site, I'm pretty sure the band knows how to write their own name properly, to be honest. Not to mention that the handwritten letters from the 1990's clearly show the band calling themselves Darkthrone. Thanks for trying, though.

Oh, and Nazxul especially doesn't sound like Darkthrone, so I'm just going to assume you haven't actually heard their music.

Blackmail, you know I was trying to say that Naxzul sounds similar to Darkthrone but offer something totally different but still within that raw, Darkthrone-esque style of BM.

And Dog Of War, I was showing bands that who's sound is based and/or similar to the second wave bands. They all are interesting bands that do something much different than the those bands that makes them different and not a "band x" clone. Saying "spastically incoherent and full of unnecessary passages" is wrong because they do not switch their passages out-of-nowhere in spastic form, they do so in a coherent and calculated fashion. The passages are not unnecessary because you did not write the music, and they are not spastic or badly fitting to the point where they need to be noted as unnecessary. If it is not your cup of tea than fine, but calling them a "indie/hipster/cunt" black metal band that does understand the genre alongside their fans is stupid. I have heard more than enough black metal to know what sounds good, what fits with the genre and what is unnecessary within the music. Maybe more so than you since you seem to know nothing about how the music expands and develops beyond a select few second wave bands.

Blackmail, you know I was trying to say that Naxzul sounds similar to Darkthrone but offer something totally different but still within that raw, Darkthrone-esque style of BM.

I was talking to the other guy, actually. Honestly, to even compare that raw and minimalistic Darkthrone style to a band like Nazxul and say that Nazxul doesn't do anything that Darkthrone didn't is especially laughable considering the entirely different musical approach and playing style.

hey wow how bout not listening to a band you don't give a shit about. Stick with Burzum, Ildjarn and Darkthrone and the rest of us will listen to whatever the fuck we want. mmk?

and for those bothering to argue with the latest troll: ignore function

The problem isn't that what Wolves in the Throne Room do has been done before, the problem is that it has been done better: why should I waste time or money on their records?

To be honest, if you don't like their music, nobody is forcing you to enjoy it or buy it, so you're really just looking to start trouble and make really unfounded comments about how every band in black metal is a clone of Burzum and Darkthrone.

I was talking to the other guy, actually. Honestly, to even compare that raw and minimalistic Darkthrone style to a band like Nazxul and say that Nazxul doesn't do anything that Darkthrone didn't is especially laughable considering the entirely different musical approach and playing style.

I love Nazxul. I was saying that by his idea that those bands all bring something interesting but are not clones of those bands. I am going to have to edit my post.

And write it with upside down crosses, so what, exactly does that have to do with anything?

If I had an inverted cross key on my keyboard, I'd stick it in :p Seriously, though, they use upside down crosses in all the places lower-case Ts would go in standard English, so that would seem to suggest that mere mortals should probably interpret them as... lower case Ts.

Let's refresh your memory, shall we? Pay attention to the bold passage, you'll note that it differs substantially from your mendacious mischaracterisation of what I actually wrote. The issue here is quality, not novelty. The problem isn't that what Wolves in the Throne Room do has been done before, the problem is that it has been done better: why should I waste time or money on their records?

I understand what you're saying just fine. The issue here isn't a "better" or "worse" recording of identical material, though. I don't know about you, but I don't listen to metal for the deep philosophical statements it makes (Spoiler: there aren't any). Wolves' music isn't any more or less valid than Burzum's; it's just influenced by Burzum. On the grand totem of metal worth, Burzum is a classic, and they are just a pretty likable little group who made a fun recording. However, most people don't ONLY listen to the classics, so it's asinine to dismiss Two Hunters because you liked Hvis Lyset Tar Oss more.

Seems to me that you're operating under some seriously alien logic.

Well not really. I just get the nagging feeling he's only heard of these bands on wikipedia or something.

Like I said way earlier, I'm not even a huge fan of this band, but it's funny to see the lengths people will go to in order to say bad things about them.

I don't know if Wolves has "huge fans," most people I talk to are like "Oh hey, Two Hunters was pretty cool!"

Their name rules, though.

I got into them before they released their first record. I am semi-huge fan. Their first record is nothing special, Two Hunters is though.

The metal scene "drowns in mediocrity" because people don't only listen to the classics? If by "drowns in mediocrity" you mean "keeps producing music," then yes...

Also, the idea of "setting standards" for art is pretty awful for reasons I shouldn't have to explain.

And once again, nobody is demeaning the classics here. We all agree Burzum was better than Wolves. Thing is, that doesn't automatically make Wolves suck, since they play DIFFERENT MUSIC. I think the reason your viewpoint is so skewed is because you are looking at albums as statements, and confusing "influenced by" with "essentially identical to."

As I mentioned before, I get the feeling that you just listened to a couple classic Norwegian albums, and then someone told you WITTR sounded kind of like Burzum and you dived headlong into this thread armed with high-minded sentiment.

Are you always this dishonest, or does that only happen when you feel threatened?

When commenting on the scene drowning in mediocrity, you highlighted "However, most people don't ONLY listen to the classics, so it's asinine to dismiss Two Hunters because you liked Hvis Lyset Tar Oss more." I was responding both to your typed statement and to your highlighting. And that last bit ... I'm not arguing with you because I love WITTR (they're aight), I'm arguing with you because your criticism is odd. Hence, not exactly "threatened."

I mean, suggesting that people not validate phony art with their money is totally dreadful, for reasons you really don't need to get into (translation: for reasons you know to be something less than convincingly legitimate).

Um, I didn't really want to type up a diatribe on why censorship is bad. If you reaaaaally want me to, I guess I could. 'cause that's what "standards" in art equate to. Obviously if you don't like something, don't spend your cash on it... but for the most part, the metal scene is already bogged down with downloading and such, and I wouldn't be too picky about where metalheads' money is going when they choose to legitimately purchase music.

I've been on board with black metal for the better part of 20 years. I've seen bands like this come and go.

Cool. It's also great to hear that you frequent a record store, most metal "fans" these days rely on downloading, as I mentioned. I hope you can understand why I would be skeptical, though, given some of the stranger comparisons you made (still not seein' the Darkthrone thing...).

It's also clear, at least to me, that they put a lot more thought into crafting individual fragments of song than they did into stitching the fragments together in a fashion that makes sense as something more than pure aesthetic. This isn't terribly surprising, given that the musicians involved come, not from a background in metal, but from one rooted in the punk and indie scenes in Washington state. Their formative experiences have been with musics that place no premium on structure or structural coherence, and it shows.

I agree with you on this, actually, but after hearing a lot of nondescript ambient material, I sort of enjoy having engaging areas even if the overall effect isn't seamless.

And you still haven't answered the original question:

What do Wolves in the Throne Room bring to the table that hasn't been done better by others?

Come ooooon, now you're just being deliberately obtuse. We've discussed this several times! Their sound is Burzum influenced but it's very clearly (as you pointed out) the product of a different musical background, hence it sounds different- it's not better than Burzum, but it's another collection of competently executed material, and there's nothing wrong with that. Not every record can be a classic, doesn't mean they aren't worth listening to.

Please enlighten me and and mention some Black Metal bands who are doing something nobody else has.

Yeah actually I'd be interested to hear what modern bands you like, sounds like you have high standards. Some of the French bands, perhaps?