Anyone else who just dislikes acoustic/folk guitars ?

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Am I the only one ?

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I just don't really understand how so many people would like this instrument ! I think it just lacks everything that is nice from a classical guitar, or an electric guitar. The only good thing about it is it projects its sounds louder and further than a classical guitar. Except that, I just hate the feeling of such hard strings (don't call me pussy, I like the feeling of good bass strings for example even though I don't have the fingers to stands them for a long time) which are the reason why it is so hard to play any melody on those without plucking incorrectly a note (you might disagree with me, but even someone like Paco de Lucia who can play fast on them don't sound very acurate like someone would be able to be on an electric and it just BUGS me when a note is missed. When I listen to classical guitar virtuoso, I can feel all the single nuances in their playing and rarely hear any annoying "mistake"). And no, even someone used to it sound bad to my ear, while they can be pretty fine on another type of guitar. I would sound even worse myself since I don't know how to play with it, but I'm not comparing myself to them at all. It's so difficult to sound consistent with them that it gets into the way in my opinion, and makes difficult subtlety in the playing, while classical guitar being more mellow and ergonomic (in my own humble opinion) allows way more expression.

On top of that, I just don't like the sound of them most of the time. It's like they only sound good in the hands of gipsy guitarists playing gipsy jazz (again : to me). I would still add a layer of them on my own music here and there, but that's about it. Of course it works very well for chord strumming, but I rarely ever ever like acoustic songs with just strummed chords, unless they are simply entertaining/funny songs but that's another thing. To a point where when someone asks me to play some "cool" songs on a classical or acoustic I just barely know any and I suck so much at it ! Plus, I don't have any pleasure learning "Wonderwall" by oasis ! I'm not saying that's all the instrument can do obviously, but it bugs me that people always expect a guitarist to be able to strum this kind of classics on an acoustic guitar.

Am I the only one who just happens to not like it while I adore electric and classical guitar or most classical instruments ? I'll probably buy one sometime just to have one and be able to record a layer of it or just for the sake of it, but I just have no pleasure with one of them !

And as much as I praise people like andy mcknee with their technicity and virtuosity with those, and I can get a Wow factor for something impressive and for the dedication it must have taken... This kind of songs just sound boring to my ears and lack something, like there is zero harmony, just notes from the same scale being played in a sort of random fashion (I know it is not random, but still most of the time this type of playing results in songs that are - to me - poor harmonically and I find myself endlessly trying to catch something in the harmony that would attract my attention). It's completely subjective of course, I can understand people who happen to love this and practice it and create music like it. I'm just saying i'm surprised how much I dislike this instrument and surely I'm not the only one ? And strangely, I love more exotic versions of acoustic guitars, like the portuguese guitar (4/5 double stringed), or the bouzouki, because it feels like they bring more to the music, to me.

holy wall o' text, batman.

I dunno, I think you just don't like the type of music that's often played on them. Listen to Fleet Foxes or old American folk music from appalachia. I think they can sound really beautiful, but they are frequently used in shitty pop ballads. I hate the sound of nylon strings a lot of the time so I guess it's to each his own.

I hate playing folk/acoustic guitars and I often screw up when i try it lol But i really like listening to a well played one...

The only acoustic I've ever owned in over 20 years of guitar playing is a nylon sting classical. Never cared for the steel/bronze acoustics.

I never used to be into acoustic stuff, but I've really started to depart from metal recently cause I'm really just sick of hearing the same thing over and over, and the acoustic is such a beautiful sounding instrument once you sit down and play with it. Of course, it also helps if you have a good one. Cheap acoustics sound like ass. I'm using a 60's Yamaha and 60's Gibson that belonged to my grandfather back in the day. They sound glorious :p

Like I said, I appreciate and all, to the point where I watch the whole video and like it, but that's it, I just don't like it so much ! I hear too much of the same open strings again and again ! This kind of playing/music has just never given me any chills !

This, I like but again, one out of 100 "artists" sound that good IMO

Maybe I'm crazy !

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I actually do myself the same reflexion sometimes. Like I said carefully 50 times (at least) in my first post, it's very subjective, I just wanted to know if someone share my thougts ! But I don't know, I don't mind hearing the same drone note over and over, but here it's more like constant droning of several notes with the same color resonating sympathically (whatever the word is ?) because of each other, and just the way an acoustic guitar note sounds, the way the strings respond to the fingers (bends almost ALWAYS sound crap on those to my hear).

By the way, I rarely listen to metal anymore unless it's quite varied or is one of the very few bands I'm really crazy about ! Also, I don't mind it as much when it's assumed. A motorhead song sounding like a motorhead song doesn't bug me at all !