I wanna transcend godamnit...

This thread isn't really working because you've heard everything anyway!

I was going to say In the Woods.. Omnio too.

NAD said:
Future Sound of London - Lifeforms

Actually anything by these dudes would work (except The Isness :yuk: ), Lifeforms is just my favorite. 90 minutes of simply incredible ambient that reaches well beyond the realm of electronic music. You want a copy?

Hell yeah, Lifeforms is a masterpiece :) Dead Cities is another superb release, but I agree, all of their stuff is cool. The Isness is one of the few I don't have.

Ulver's Lyckantropen works in a similar way for me, as do a few Delerium albums in the electonica/dance world. Non-electronic recommendations will require further thought ;)

try these if you haven't (if that's possible, haha)

Golden Dawn - The Art of Dreaming
Breach - try some of their later stuff like It's Me God, Kollapse, Venom, and Godbox
Red Harvest - Hybreed

I think Perdition City is the best Ulver album to use as an aid for expanding consciousness, though the soundtracks are good to drift off to, and have some scray moments of their own, especially on Svidd Neger. Mithras sounds like Morbid Angel flying through an asteroid belt at times. And you don't have to be on drugs or a student of mysticism to understand Tales, but it helps...

Yeah, get everything Ulver (you probably already have them), especially the Silence EPs, both are a total mindfuck.

I'm not sure what Gruntsplatter would do to you. Ask NAD, or see his lengthy review. :loco:

If you like Yob, then check out Sleep, but to be honest, it's a short lived affair for the smoker....

...of course, if you have no problem with electronica, try finding some really dirty underground ambient trance. The beat patterns are designed to make one fly, if you know what I mean. They only serve one purpose for one particular audience.

And in the same respect, if you're ever in Amsterdam, just head straight to Global Chillage. :cool:

Ah fer fuck's sake, I forgot all about Gruntsplatter! And all that time I spent writing about it... :loco:

I'll burn you a copy of that as well, but if you like it I would suggest picking it up post haste, I believe it was limited to 1000 copies (my promo copy is a CD-R even, I should do him the honor by purchasing an official copy).

EDIT: http://www.vendlus.com/store.html Limited to 100 copies, not 1000. o_O

Demonspell said:
I'd also recommend downloading just about anything on the Eibon records site (and they have tons of full-length samples), if you require dark and strange permutations of what we usually refer to as music to achieve your goal...
Reutoff are fucking amazing for starters.

I'd also like to mention Godspeed You! Black Emperor in this thread. I somehow forgot about em.

I need to stop listening to so many different fucking bands.

Isis - "Oceanic" would be a fine choice. It's appropriately titled, as it does remind me of the ocean... the way the music just moves like water.. gently back and forth... with the occassional crashing wave.

I'd also suggest: The Blue Nile - "Hats"

Scald's Headworm is Awesome! I just finally got a hold of it last week and it realy took me by surprise. After it grows on you it really takes hold.

fuck; thanks man
we need encouragment these days

try some esoteric 'metaphotogenisis' (probably got that wrong :oops: )
eibon are re-releasing that

coph nia are pretty damn depressing, messes with your haed a bit
theyre on nurot I think

Esoteric are great. I have all except for the newest one. I was actually just listening to them 2 nights ago while in bed and my mind was definitely waaandering.

Hey Paul. You're welcome man. Keep up the amazing work.

I forgot about Neurot Records.

"Mark Ryden - Blood"

He's an artist that focuses on whacked out shit with all emphasis on blood. Two musicians from New York, Stan Ridgway & Pietra Wexstun, put together a CD of music that 'accompanies' this guys artwork. In other words, they were inspired by his work.

Haunting is an understatement. It's melancholic, sad, romantic, creepy, psychotic, and at times, awkward to listen to. This is not metal. The musical structures are not metal based either, but the instrumentation gets the message across via mellotrons, harpsicords, tubular bells, piano, guitar, etc.

Anyway, if you want to transcend and end up in a place that's in 'no mans land' - desolation let's say - then this is worthwhile. Of course, it's not background music if you're smoking. Dim lights, headphones, this shit will take you to Alice's nightmare wonderland in black, white, and red psychadelia. You know the score.

bloodshowmusic.jpg

Let me know if you want a CD-R, BSW.

BloodStainedWalls said:
Holy shit! I have absolutely nothing to say but: SOLD!

Please do send a copy my way. Now I'm fucking excited. :)
Yep no worries. I figured that I was better off digging around the periphery of my metal collection...just PM me your mailing address.

I'll also keep digging some stuff up....

Ever heard of Rajna? They're on Holy Records, the same label that put out the Orphaned Land releases before they moved to CM and became a prog band. (By the way, I assume you have Orphaned Land's El Norra Alila?)

Anyway, Rajna...ah yes, "The Heady Wine of Praise". This is ambient, doomy, and very ethnic sounding. In other words, lots of eastern instruments and female chanting vocals. Again, this shit will take you out there man. Very influenced by Dead Can Dance, who of course Agalloch worship.

And get this, the music was recorded in a fucking Tibetan Monastery on a icy mountain top.

heady_wine_of_praise1.jpg