I want a new guitar setup. Advice?

The EMG-707 is not very clear to begin with IMO. The 81-7 should be much tighter in the low end. I plan on switching the bridge pickup in my HellRaiser C7 for an 81-7 very soon...will do a comparison test when I do :)

~006

Yeah it really sucks! Even though I would have chosen the Savage over a DR it would have been nice to have them both :) Well, if I ever go to US I will for sure try to pickup a used DR :)

Get a Mesa Boogie Road King, ENGL Powerball(with a limiter pedal, NS-2) as it hisses a lot, Peavy 5150 (with a graphic EQ, DBX noise suppressor, gate, and a BBE sonic maximizer), Krank Revolution head, and I heard Framus makes a good head(never played one though). You should be good to go with one of those setups and a Mesa boogie 4x12 with Celestion vintage 30's. Just think of what bands tone you like and study their gear. Anyways good luck..

Well the Road King is essentially a Rectifier with tons of bells and whistles, and while I love mine, he did say he wanted a tight amp ;) I personally really don't like the Framus Cobra at all, it's a fizz/harsh monster (dunno about the Dragon but I doubt it's any better, since it's the cheaper one). And no Sonic Maximizer, please :)

I just compared the prices of Engl with musiciansfriend.com and thomann (which is the cheapest place to buy a new Engl in Sweden that I know of) and the price is pretty much the same. That's really unfair, since a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier would cost me about $3,300. What's the price for a new DR in US?

Where are you buying/looking for your music gear..damn..I could buy a Dual Rec for $1500, possibly less..

Get a Mesa Boogie Road King, ENGL Powerball(with a limiter pedal, NS-2) as it hisses a lot, Peavy 5150 (with a graphic EQ, DBX noise suppressor, gate, and a BBE sonic maximizer), Krank Revolution head, and I heard Framus makes a good head(never played one though). You should be good to go with one of those setups and a Mesa boogie 4x12 with Celestion vintage 30's. Just think of what bands tone you like and study their gear. Anyways good luck..

BBE = Mid scoopage in a REALLY BAD way.

Where are you buying/looking for your music gear..damn..I could buy a Dual Rec for $1500, possibly less..

He's talking about prices in Europe, not in the US.

BBE = Mid scoopage in a REALLY BAD way.

If you use it in extreme moderation, it can be cool. Maybe to give an impulse a little more character or something. I never use one when I'm actually playing through speakers, though.

I kind of feel like the Nebula program I made of the BBE 882i (and the 882i itself) tightens the low end up with my JMP1. I don't use much of it, and I never seriously use it in a tone, but it may have its merits.

Yeah, I guess it's okay in moderation, it just always seems to suck mids and boost highs and lows in a non-musical digital unpleasant way to me.

Yeah, I guess it's okay in moderation, it just always seems to suck mids and boost highs and lows in a non-musical digital unpleasant way to me.

It's definitely for the consumer's listening experience, and not for sweetening a midrange or anything. Truly, they're intended for livening up a PA system. So you can really bump that AC/DC, or whatever it is these kids are listening to these days.

FAO AeternusEternus, are you still running your EMGs on a single 9v battery??

have you tried running two in series (18v overall)?? gives you some headroom, might give you more of an idea of what you can do with the tone...??

anyone feel free to online-slap me if i'm just talking shit...

Nah dude, the 18v mod is pretty common (and commonly praised) - I should really get around to giving it a try...

If there was, it was before my time, cuz I have yet to hear one and really want to! :erk: Guess it's all up to me... :D