I Want To Mix Your Songs!

friendforafoe

FFaF Guitarist/Producer
Oct 2, 2009
Washington DC
www.facebook.com
Hey Everybody,

Well as you can see from the title, I'm offering to produce, mix, and master some music for you guys ... FOR FREE!

Basically myself and my buddy Ben, who owns and runs Thinking Imagery (who designed Periphery's, Animals As Leaders, Casey Sabol, Haunted Shores, my page, and many other band-related websites) are starting up a studio and we need some songs to showcase for the website (being created as we speak)! So I'm offering to work some magic on your songs for free (one song per person/band) so we can use them as showcase demos. We're mostly geared toward the metal/rock/hardcore/progressive crowd, but any style is welcome (pop, experimental, jazz, blues, etc etc)! You'll keep all rights to your songs as we're not trying to swindle you at all! We just need a foot in the door to get this business going and hopefully you can make that happen.

With these being showcase songs, they need to be the best of the best with some tight playing and good recording volumes. I'll need the following from you (I do use Nuendo/Cubase so keep that in mind!):

1) Song's tempo, time signature, positions of tempo flags (if any), what bit rate and sampling rate you recorded at (i.e. 16bit @ 44.100kHz)

2) Separated instrument tracks (dry/with no post-effects added) consolidated to zero (i.e. all bass takes as one track the length of the song, left channel guitar is separate, etc etc). You can also send DI'ed guitars if need be and I can re-amp them ... just let me know what sort of tone you're shooting for!

3) Separated vocal tracks (main vox separated from harmonies, individual harmonies separated etc etc) ... We definitely prefer songs with vocals recorded!

4) If you're using Drumkit From Hell Superior, EZDrummer, or Superior Drummer 2.0, send me the midi files and the drum maps. If you're using a different program (Beatcraft, etc) or have live drums, send the broken down files and I can retrigger the drums

5) Any sort of added production suggestions of how you want the song to sound (i.e. just a straight up mix or if you want some sort of effects thrown in on top, or if you're giving free reign to see what we come up with) or any band you're trying to sound like mix-wise (I can't make you sound like them, but I know what to shoot for!) .

6) An Mp3 of the song (if you have it) as is to get a feel of the structure

That should be just about everything I'll need from you. I recommend saving all the files into one folder along with a notepad document of the song details, winrar or zip it, upload it to a file sharing site then post on here. Remember, one song per person and the best of the best (probably 10 total) will be used as showcase songs. Keep it versatile as we don't want just a bunch of Meshuggah-clones (I love Meshuggah just as much as the next person, but we're trying to show diversity lol)! If you're happy with the results, then we can discuss future business/pricing etc, but take advantage of this free opportunity now!

For examples of my mixing, head to http://www.myspace.com/friendforafoe2

Holler At Your Collar Ballers :headbang:,
Chris

Join the club, bro! =D

It's a nice offer and everything but there are probably 20 dudes here who would do the same thing, it's just not advertised.

Usually what happens is a band posts the raw files for one of their songs and a 'mix challenge' commences... The band chooses their favorite mix and that person is usually hired to do the rest of the CD.

I myself, much prefer that method. This way we all learn and get to hear how different our mixes turn out!

Good luck, dude.

Thanks for the heads up man ... I'm noticing that myself as far as people trying to get some working files ... it's understandable I suppose! I'm new here so I'm still learnin the ropes lol.

Separate wave would be the best bet for thorough mixing...

You're going to post songs that you didn't actually record as samples on your studio website? Isn't that like false advertising?

Just because you can mix doesn't mean you know how to track, and having a song that is well tracked is a large percent of the battle.

Just my 2 cents. Go record some bands for free and use those as samples on your site.

I wish I could record some bands for free ... I'm stationed in the Middle East right now and there aren't too many bands out here where I'm at. The only thing I can do right now is mix and master for free (one for practice, two it keeps my morale up lol) via internet-based file swaps until I get back stateside in December. Right now we can only offer mixing and mastering vice tracking until we get established (or I get back home as mentioned). I mean we'll be putting my stuff and his band's stuff up online, but we'd like to show more diversity using different people/bands. It's even possible we could just record different genres of music ourselves, but the process to mix for my stuff is almost in template form (save minor tweaks etc to the mix). I love mixing other people's music and the additional challenges of it. Also I would only use these tracks for demoing purposes with the respective person's consent ... it wasn't my intention to falsely advertise so sorry about that. I agree with you though, but my options are unfortunately limited :-/