I was just wondering...

enitharmon

chemical mysteries
Sep 27, 2001
Berlin and sometimes Athens
Since so many people are on line at the moment perhaps you could answer me a question:

Why are there no black (or political correct colored for our american friends here) metal musicians? I only know one, the drummer of Agent Steel (and Phil Lynnot if you want).

Don't take me wrong I am not trying to start a racistic thread, I was just wandering.

Lajon - Sevendust

The entire Living Color band

A member of POD

Vocalist for Stuck Mojo (at least in 1997 when I saw them live with Type O)

But to answer your question, there are some black metal musicians out there, just not that many of them. Sort of reminds me hockey. There probably is not one explanation. In any event, Lajon owns on the new Sevendust disc...check it out.

DavE

Originally posted by Poison God
Lajon - Sevendust

The entire Living Color band

A member of POD

Vocalist for Stuck Mojo (at least in 1997 when I saw them live with Type O)

But to answer your question, there are some black metal musicians out there, just not that many of them. Sort of reminds me hockey. There probably is not one explanation. In any event, Lajon owns on the new Sevendust disc...check it out.

DavE
Black Metal Musicians?? You mean Dimmu Borgir / CoF / Mortuary Drape / and all Black metal bands are consistent of black ppl?
Ah! Now i see why they call it Black Metal! Of course how could i not understand! Stupid Me (Faith don't kill me for being stupid)! That is the cause for the make up i guess. they want to look like white ppl. yeah! it all shows now. A Michael Jackson type of thing:lol: :lol: :tickled: :tickled:

Anyway back to the serious metalized now:
The bassist of Steel Prophet is completely black, from what i know (actually Their guitarist is a bit dark as well!).

And the bands you mentioned aren't pure metal. They are metal mix with smthing else. I don't like it, but this is not the subject here.

I guess it is all a matter of culture and different perception about what music really is. I mean have you seen many white hiphopers, or rappers???

Originally posted by Nevermorian
There aren't many female Metal-musicians, too (except this strange Band called "Kittie")
Well more than black:

Vixen,
Meanstreak,
Doro,
The Great Kat,
SchoolGirl,
Lita Ford,
Juta (of Velvet Viper/Zed Jago)
Sinergy - the singer

and ofcourse, last but in no way least.....:::::
METALLICA hahaha

Originally posted by metalized
I mean have you seen many white hiphopers, or rappers???

Well, one has made it to the top (Eminem). And here in Germany are many white hippopers and rappers.
But I think there are not enough white jazz or blues musicians as well.

What do you think, should musicians try to play music that it does not belong to their culture?

Originally posted by enitharmon

Well, one has made it to the top (Eminem). And here in Germany are many white hippopers and rappers.

What do you think, should musicians try to play music that it does not belong to their culture?
yes but one koukos doesn't bring the spring...

Originally posted by enitharmon

well doesn't the drumming section of all metal bands come from the ancient tribes of Africa? They ARE black, right????:lol: :lol:

Black:
Guitarist from Hirax
Drummer from Alas (or maybe it was the bass player)
guitarist for Suicidal Tendencies (at least, I think he was)
and those that have already been mentioned.

Women:
Bassist from White Zombie
Dawn from Rain Fell Within
Tarja from Nightwish
Christina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil
Anneke from The Gathering
the singer of Fear of God (I believe her name is Dawn Crosby or something like that)
Floor Jansen from After Forever
the singer of Alas
and on and on and on

Now, what I want to know is why there aren't any black women :lol: Shall we list some more minorities?

Oriental:
the whole band Sigh
I think the guitarist for Death Angel is
John Myung from Dream Theater

Latino:
most of Death Angel
I think that Megadeth's new drummer is (the guy from Suicidal Tendencies)

Okay, so that list isn't really that overwhelming, but at least it shows there is diversity in metal.

A moment of Honesty: Nevermore is my second favorite... I do like In Flames more, but I have nothing in common with the poeple on that board... (I won't even TELL you about the time I had on the Blind Guardian board...)