"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

I have to compare the change of sound to motor sport.

F1 changed from V10 to V8, that was like Bodom evolving from FTR to Blooddrunk.

But with I Worship Chaos it's like how F1 changed to V6. It sounds lower tone, but it's slower and weaker and less exciting. In the music volume is the same but in a way it's like being more quiet as the music draws less attention now, in my opinion.

I'm sorry but I have to make that comparison, I'm sure Janne and Alexi will understand. I wish the thrill came back, just like the thrill of V10 engines with the intergalactic metro blasting across the tarmac like a missile. Just go back to D and drop C tuning and create the heaviness with the music instead of pitch. I think it has become too much about Alexi's guitar, while the rest of the instruments could be used more in the creation of an interesting song. Especially drums, but never forgetting what can be done with the keyboards.

I know exactly what you're talking about since I'm into F1 myself. However it might be a bad comparison for a non F1-nerd.

I know exactly what you're talking about since I'm into F1 myself. However it might be a bad comparison for a non F1-nerd.

Or someone who hasn't been watching it actively for a long time. My dad has always watched it, and I've occasionally watched races with him, but I haven't really been actively watching them until Kimi came back in 2012.

Man when you watch vids of the old days with the V10, it was crazy... I've been driving the playstation F1 simulators since 2000 and I know with my virtual skills and fitness I could jump into today's F1 car and do laps only 12-15 seconds off the pace, but go back to 2005 cars and the powers are fucking scary I would have to break so early... Like with F1 as with COB every fan knows what should be different, it's come down to a mortal level, and not living up to what it could be. Another interesting metaphora: F1 is ruined also by terrible new tracks... but with Bodom it's not just about sound - you can make a perfect song for every soundworld they've created, but it's more about, well, making an 'epic track'... Epicness or atmosphere in songs are of course not something you can lay a mathematical formula for, it really comes down to spirituality, not just capitalizing on all instruments... but there really is more power in COB, they just need to look at all their most epic moments in the music and think what are they doing there. It should be like sex between Satan and a futuristic robot.

Well the dust has definitely settled at this point and sadly I don't listen to this album at all anymore. Really the only good song is song is suicide bomber. This is the first time I'm actually dissapointed by a COB album, because I still listen to the rest of them on occasion. Shame.. oh well, better luck next time.

I agree Suicide Bomber holds the feeling together the best, that's why it feels classic especially when the slow beautiful section starts. There's a great idea in almost every song, but the songs are too stretched, which takes away intensity for someone used to listen to older Bodom. Something a notch too superficial about the whole spirit. It's like Alexi would actually want to do rock music but it has to be COB'ish and the blend is weird. My idea was they'd do 8 songs with 3:00 minutes duration, to make everything compact and intense, and build tension with atmospheric horror passages between every song. That would be radical and really cool. It's the occasional epic moments that draw us into this music, and to me short songs like SNBN and HOB actually feel longer than IWC songs which are much longer. Well I guess then I would complain the songs are too short, but that would still be hellovalot cooler.

It's a tough one to pick songs for concerts. Morrigan most likely will be the only one to make future setlists. IWC and I Hurt are good songs to get the moshpit going, but both have that function and are rather similar in structure. If it were up to me, I'd have them play Widdershins, Horns, and Morrigan and would probably add Widdershing to future setlists.

Welp. I haven't listened to IWC in a month simply because it is so disappointing and I have dozens of better things to listen to. That being said, has anyone heard any news about a US tour? So I can start contemplating if I want to go and see classics replaced with mediocre new songs or not.

Same, I gave it 3-4 whole listens but always felt it wouldn't grow on me. It has a few cool ideas but sadly it's got more disappointing moments. As someone said earlier, better luck next time.

I've been a fan of CoB since 2006-2007 but haven't been able to see them live yet. This year in December will be the first time when they come to Sweden. So I'm really excited about that even if the setlist might be a letdown.

I heard that Jeff Hanneman secretly wrote the new album before he died. Any negative comments are metal heresy.

I also heard that Kristen Mulderig is the secret Belgian love child of Jeff and an international terrorist whom is now dead.

Same, I gave it 3-4 whole listens but always felt it wouldn't grow on me. It has a few cool ideas but sadly it's got more disappointing moments. As someone said earlier, better luck next time.

I've been a fan of CoB since 2006-2007 but haven't been able to see them live yet. This year in December will be the first time when they come to Sweden. So I'm really excited about that even if the setlist might be a letdown.

Exactly. I have the same reaction and feeling on the album. I I listened to it 12-15 times within 3 weeks and it never grew on me. The highlights are few and far between. Its boring, simplistic and uninspired. 2 steps back from Halo. Ha yeah thats about all anyone who actually listens to other great Melodic Death bands can say

Ahh well it'll be a new Live experience seeing them for the first time. Thats cool dude. Its definitely worth it. IWC songs aside. They are still great Live and will likely only play 3 IWC songs. I've seen them 3 times. Debating on whether or not ita worth all the money. Ticket, beer, food, merchandise money, travel money etc

Man nowadays I wonder how Alexi was able to create such epic masterpieces like FTR, Hatebreeder, HDCR. This feel for msuic and that talent can't disappear that easy.
I mean seriously his comment on not beeing that melodic in the old days was that other bands did same things later. I mean, what the fuck. It's like I'd say i can't
eat pizza anymore because there are other people who eat pizza, too. That's just bullshit. For me it's just a excuse that he lost it. His magic. No one would trade his genius
for fucking mediocre 08/15. Arcane can say what he want, but musicially-wise, that's just boring.

I think he stored his magic in his RRs I can feel I'm getting better and better since I start to use mine daily ;)

Btw, as I'm listening to TON songs I would immediately buy a bass guitar.

Ahh well it'll be a new Live experience seeing them for the first time. Thats cool dude. Its definitely worth it. IWC songs aside. They are still great Live and will likely only play 3 IWC songs. I've seen them 3 times. Debating on whether or not ita worth all the money. Ticket, beer, food, merchandise money, travel money etc

Yeah, it's gonna be cool! I would have liked to see Roope too though.

Came to think of the interview Alexi did for some German thing, where he said something about ''his inner teenager''. Well, the teenager version of Alexi composed the epic album Something Wild and he was probably still a teenager when he composed alot of the songs on Hatebreeder. That music is mature, the music on IWC is not.

I think he stored his magic in his RRs I can feel I'm getting better and better since I start to use mine daily ;)

It would be so much cooler if he used Jackson guitars still. Jackson really lost out on that one when they didn't provide him with new guitars. Surely they would have been able to make them in time if they gave them priority?

Always had this theory that Alexi's guitar tone affected his writing. His tone with this jacksons was so creamy and smooth, it begs for lead playing. Now he's going for the more low end sound that makes you wanna just chugga chugga. Ever since I upgraded from a line 6 practice amp to a real tube amp I find myself doing heavy rhythm all the time when I jam.

Always had this theory that Alexi's guitar tone affected his writing. His tone with this jacksons was so creamy and smooth, it begs for lead playing. Now he's going for the more low end sound that makes you wanna just chugga chugga. Ever since I upgraded from a line 6 practice amp to a real tube amp I find myself doing heavy rhythm all the time when I jam.

Lol I have a Spider IV 75 watt and I just noodle most of the time, Morrigan's intro sounds really good in Drop C BTW. I've also heard people talk mad shit about his pickup the ALX, maybe they should just make him a new pickup?

I stop listening IWC every 2 days, and when i listen to it again it sounds greater. I still enjoy the album. Defenitily better than HOB because i like all IWC songs unlike HOB.
New top 3 :

1- My bodom
2- SuicideBomber
3- Widdershin

All For Nothing and Suicide Bomber are good. Prayer For The Afflicted is good but too repetitive. Some of the others have a good part or two in them but are overall somewhat lame.

All For Nothing and Suicide Bomber are good. Prayer For The Afflicted is good but too repetitive. Some of the others have a good part or two in them but are overall somewhat lame.

I like All For Nothing but its solo/ending is like listenting to the instruments come down from heroin.