"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

Jonas. I completely agree on the horror quotes and how they help set up atmosphere for the tracks. Would be really cool if there was one at the start of the album like the old days. And yes the last few have been pretty lackluster. Hellhounds being the best of the last 3 but still nothing extraordinary.

I haven't listened to the new Cradle single because Ive stopped listening to them for some time. Has anyone heard the new Stratovarius single?!

I listened to it an hour or so ago. Sounds like Cain's Offering's new album to me, which is not a bad thing necessarily. Quite different from what they've been doing previously.

I listened to it an hour or so ago. Sounds like Cain's Offering's new album to me, which is not a bad thing necessarily. Quite different from what they've been doing previously.

Ya know I had the same thought as well. Which is one draw back of having a Strato and a Cains album released in the same year. Also Jens being on Stormcrow doesn't help either. Was hoping Mikko Harkin would of stayed because him and Jani had some of that Silence era feel going on Gather the Faithful.

It is a bit different for Strato. And keeps the modern sound going which I think is really cool

Ya know I had the same thought as well. Which is one draw back of having a Strato and a Cains album released in the same year. Also Jens being on Stormcrow doesn't help either. Was hoping Mikko Harkin would of stayed because him and Jani had some of that Silence era feel going on Gather the Faithful.

It is a bit different for Strato. And keeps the modern sound going which I think is really cool
I like both Shine In The Dark and Lost Without A Trace, but I guess there will be much more epic stuff on the album. Both seem slightly sub-Nemesis-level to me when it comes to lyrics and melodies. Was slightly underwhelmed from Stormcrow because of the same reasons, but what I've read and heard about the other songs from Eternal so far, I'm sure there'll be much more to expect :D Very much looking forward to it, love Strato's new direction. Sorry to say that, but they're much more interesting now than Tolkki's last efforts.

I like both Shine In The Dark and Lost Without A Trace, but I guess there will be much more epic stuff on the album. Both seem slightly sub-Nemesis-level to me when it comes to lyrics and melodies. Was slightly underwhelmed from Stormcrow because of the same reasons, but what I've read and heard about the other songs from Eternal so far, I'm sure there'll be much more to expect :D Very much looking forward to it, love Strato's new direction. Sorry to say that, but they're much more interesting now than Tolkki's last efforts.

Thank you. I didn't know there were two songs already out. :D

The keys are indeed pretty great, particularly in the "breakdown" where they carry the melody.

What I wonder is if we're ever going to get samples or videos or anything else before the album comes out. It's 2 months from release now, and we don't even know if there'll be a second single. Hopefully there is, but it should then probably come out sometime in august, right?

9 completely new Bodom songs in a sitting, not sure how my brains could handle that. I don't really care as long as the album is legendary. But surely there'll be samples again to create anticipation.

Have to come up with an interesting way to listen to the album. I think I'll go to a forest during a dark night.

9 completely new Bodom songs in a sitting, not sure how my brains could handle that. I don't really care as long as the album is legendary. But surely there'll be samples again to create anticipation.

Have to come up with an interesting way to listen to the album. I think I'll go to a forest during a dark night.

Think you can wait until night to listen to it? Buy some indoor plants/trees, put them in your bathroom, close the door but don't put on the lights. Improvised DARK forest at the ready. ;)

Granted, your idea of a true forest is much cooler.

Track lengths:

I Hurt (4:29)
My Bodom (I am The Only One) (4:19)
Morrigan (5:07)
Horns (4:10)
Prayer For The Afflicted (4:55)
I Worship Chaos (3:40)
Hold Your Tongue (4:02)
Suicide Bomber (3:33)
All For Nothing (5:42)
Widdershins (5:08)

Some really long tracks. Seems like it's the longest COB album. All for Nothing is longest at 5:42, while Suicide Bomber is shortest at 3:33. I think Prayer for the Afflicted is the slow song, based on the descriptions.

On average the songs are longer than usual. It will be interesting to see what that means for speed and song structure.

It's gonna be more Hypocrisy like in the way that it's got less parts that are repeated more, and atmosphere before technicality.

Already anticipating samples now and it's still 8 weeks to go. A 10 second sample of each song would be great. Maybe next month.

Total duration 45:05. Halo of Blood is 41:40, so this album is 3:25 longer (which is worth one song) and remember these two albums both have 10 songs. Thus average song duration on Halo of Blood is 4:10, while IWC average song duration is 4:35. Halo of Blood is 2500 seconds long, while IWC is 2705 seconds long, making IWC 205 seconds longer.

So... average song duration of each album:

SW - 4:35
HB - 4:12
FTR - 4:14
HCDR - 4:06
AYDY - 4:10
BD - 4:06
RRF - 4:03
HoB - 4:10
IWC - 4:35

So we can conclude IWC and Something Wild both have 4:35 average song duration, but this is clearly longer than anything since. You can fit so much in 25 extra seconds. And the album length of course is clearly longest in IWC. Of course it might not include material as much, since there's repetitiveness and slower tempo.

No offense but don't you seriously have anything better to do than count average song durations?

Interesting. 4:30 minutes is about right for a song. Anything less than 3 is kinda short. And past 5 minutes is too long.

Maybe there's a movie sample or other atmospheric passage included in several tracks. There's some really good atmosphere stuff they've done live. I wouldn't mind if they decided to include the RRF witch drum intro now. As for the spoken movie samples, I only like the ones in Warheart, Follow the Reaper and Halo of Blood - they need to be picked with taste or not at all.

Total duration 45:05. Halo of Blood is 41:40, so this album is 3:25 longer (which is worth one song) and remember these two albums both have 10 songs. Thus average song duration on Halo of Blood is 4:10, while IWC average song duration is 4:35. Halo of Blood is 2500 seconds long, while IWC is 2705 seconds long, making IWC 205 seconds longer.

So... average song duration of each album:

SW - 4:35
HB - 4:12
FTR - 4:14
HCDR - 4:06
AYDY - 4:10
BD - 4:06
RRF - 4:03
HoB - 4:10
IWC - 4:35

So we can conclude IWC and Something Wild both have 4:35 average song duration, but this is clearly longer than anything since. You can fit so much in 25 extra seconds. And the album length of course is clearly longest in IWC. Of course it might not include material as much, since there's repetitiveness and slower tempo.
don't think too much into it, your brains are gonna build up lactic acid if you keep this pace up. Just chill and embrace the wait with a calm mind. You go to the gym right? Spend the 8 weeks learning olympic weightlifting, does wonders for the mind and body.