"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

I dig Widdershins, the early solo, the chorus and the intro is great but the verses and the outro sucks.
My Bodom chorus and outro are cool but the rest is horrible, 0:30 riff is horrible and generic.

The only tracks i know i will play for a while are: Suicide Bomber, Hold Your Tongue, Widdershins and Horns and they are not that great though, maybe Suicide Bomber is.

The slow tracks make me wanna go to sleep and never wake up again in a world where Bodom writes such awful songs.

It is horribly over-repetitive. Like Suicide Bomber intro, I Hurt melody or whatever, it just keeps going on and on and on and there's no end to it, gets pretty boring. Even atmospheric sequences can't just go on and on unless it's very very slow tempo and a soulful scene. Maybe it's for a new kind of target group. The only time Bodom made a scene go on for a long while and keep it together is Towards Dead End melody. Usually their melodies and riffs follow the "4" pattern, but this time they go 6 or 8 times.

Widdershins is one of the greatest Bodom songs ever imo

Lyrically, it is probably the best (and most coherent) thing Alexi has ever written and the chorus is also the catchiest one yet.

:D Bad one.

I'm starting to understand now the sheer emphasis on My Bodom is on vocals, lyrics, and the chorus is the only moment when you remember it's music. I can't stand the riff at 3:00, and it goes on all the way backing the solos. The vocals at the end are unnecessary. It's getting better but still not blowing my mind. Like I used to hate Roadkill Morning but eventually I found the hook.

I hope Alexi never reads this stuff, I'd appear like a complete cunt. But it's amazing how he seems to have 2 absolute opposites in his music taste.

My Bodom should be followed directly by Widdershins, when you skip to Widdershins before Morrigan it makes so much more sense energetically.

I hope Alexi never reads this stuff, I'd appear like a complete cunt. But it's amazing how he seems to have 2 absolute opposites in his music taste.

It's not that long ago when you claimed you could "feel" the band still reading the forum. :D Although I do kind of agree, most of us do sound like ungrateful bastards.

Listening to the album for the first time in days. It's actually better than I though at first. You just need to accept that it's a completely different kind of music to what they did before. Don't expect melodies, expect something else. Not my favorite by any means, but it's not as awful as I though at first.

This album just takes away that uniqueness Bodom had that made them carry their torch among bands like Hypocrisy, In Flames, Cradle of Filth, with this album they don't have that separation. It's as if they're too close to their music to understand what was unique about it, as each of these bands had some aspect they could do better than any other. They really should focus on the intensity, cruel and melodic atmosphere, unforgettable melodies and atmosphere. You think of songs like SNBN or Children of Decadence and they simply do not pale next to anything by those great bands, that music was scarily creative and charismatic as fuck comfortably wrapped in mythical atmosphere, this stuff on the other hand any of these bands could do. But I'm not gonna talk about it anymore (at least not for 3 years.)

It would be nice if this was one of those times where the band does a quick tour then goes right back into the studio to record a follow up. From the way Alexi expresses his love for this album maybe he feels he needs to continue riding on that and record more music.

Like, I'm talking better music.

Wishful thinking that they start the recording cycle sooner this time around. Maybe at the very least rehearse and write a bit from after Spring tourdates til the Summer schedule. I think the best thing for the band would be to hire a really, really good 2nd Guitarist who adds to the writing process and inspires/ pushes Alexi to write higher quality material next time around. More Melodic and Intricate than IWC

Call me crazy but maybe it's time to just accept the fact that they are not going to record any album with their "true" and characteristic sound.

Yes, we've seen atmospheric and great parts in HOB and IWC but it's that, just parts, they seem to definetly not returning to their roots.

I'm fine with their new music, and of course I would love to hear another FTR 2.0 than a RRF 2.0 but they are not making any crime at all, just evolving, heading new situations in their hearts and minds and that shit.

If they come up with their final record I would love to hear from their neoclassical influence to dreamy atmospheres and so on but that is their job, not ours.
---

The keys on Widdershins are absolutley gold, Janne could have played with that sounds through all the album...

Call me crazy but maybe it's time to just accept the fact that they are not going to record any album with their "true" and characteristic sound.

Yes, we've seen atmospheric and great parts in HOB and IWC but it's that, just parts, they seem to definetly not returning to their roots.

I'm fine with their new music, and of course I would love to hear another FTR 2.0 than a RRF 2.0 but they are not making any crime at all, just evolving, heading new situations in their hearts and minds and that shit.

If they come up with their final record I would love to hear from their neoclassical influence to dreamy atmospheres and so on but that is their job, not ours.
---

The keys on Widdershins are absolutley gold, Janne could have played with that sounds through all the album...

The only way they should return to their roots is in the WOW factor that their old songs have. I feel like this album would have had a lot more of those polishes on its sharp corners if Roope didn't leave, not saying Alexi can't write dank as shit by himself but Bodom is the kind of band that benefits from having 2 lead guitarists.:kickass: Banned From Heaven is one of the best post HCDR songs out there, and its probably because of Roope's parts AND Alexi's, Alexi needs another scythe shredding reaper at his side and right now he's the only one, there's no one to dance in acid rain with. Oddly a lot of these riffs actually sound lonely.

In my book HoB wasn't that good either, I stopped listening to it one week after the release. They have already made more albums without their ''unique'' sound than their first three. So I've pretty much already accepted it won't go back to that, but with every album I dearly hope it will be a step in that direction. For me HoB wasn't it. In a way it doesn't feel like this is evolving, the music on their 3 first albums feel more mature than it has the past 14 years. The trashier/american-metal-influenced sound is sterile and emotionless.
Rant over.

Either way every album they have produced contain some great song that has alot of soul, but they made me really picky or perhaps spoiled with Hatebreeder and FTR.

The only way they should return to their roots is in the WOW factor that their old songs have.

This is true. It's clear Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper they still didn't know what they were doing in terms of sound, albeit it was perfected for a few songs and still served mightily. Once they grew in that regard they immediately started losing that sense of myth in the music. If they mimiced the old soundworld and wrote something new, it would be complete shit. Same if they just used the same technique. It doesn't work that way.

It doesn't matter that much what the soundworld is or what technique they play with, everything is about sensing the deep forces that ravage the human emotions and then transform that into music (and ultimately soundworld), while accompanying that with cool beats and wicked shredding. If you have the "empty mind", well it doesn't serve well in art, it might in sports in a way of eliminating distractions, but not in art. Of course we need to understand Alexi has already shedded his mental energy into quite a bunch of songs, how many bands you know created ten cult albums...

Being overly optimistic will be my ultimate downfall.

The replacement guitarist is supposed to last the rest of the year.

As much as I am OK with this new direction... I too really hope they pick someone up who is older and has experience and can really push Alexi to the ultimate. Hopefully someone with some real melodic background.

Like Joonas has stated, there is no excitement anymore. CoB has just turned into another metal band.

Hahaha yeah dude. Can't always be optimistic. Have to be a realist. Yep. Antti is only with them til the end of the year. They will have to find a replacement before the NA tour in 2016. There are plenty of options out there. Would be sick if Jesper Stromblad joined Bodom. But that probably wont happen. Daniel Freyberg would be a good fit. And it seems Tracedawn is on life support. There Guitarist, Tuomas Yli-Jaskari is 25 and is sickkkkk. Would bring some refreshing Shred ideas.

Guys, I think I will make a Sticker, or aquapaint to one of my guitar that "GIVE FTR BACK!", like Alexi made a text when the Randy case had went on.(free randy):D Maybe I upload it here so we can protest together ;)

I live in FInland, love Nightwish, Amorphis etc. However, I never really cared for Children Of Bodom. So today, just before I created an account here, I tried listen to the single "I Worship Chaos". Now I am a fan. Really like this whole album. Really nice artwork aswell as you have said over and over.

Dude if you like early Amorphis you better listen to some early COB, otherwise you won't like it considering you enjoyed the new album.