Ian Gillan: political thriller author!

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
DEEP PURPLE Frontman To Unveil Political Thriller Novel

Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 at 21:19:56

According to Reuters, singer and songwriter Ian Gillan, the frontman of the rock band DEEP PURPLE, is trying his hand at a new form of writing - a novel. Gillan, 61, said he had already lined up a publisher for his novel, which is a political thriller titled Wessex.

"This is my one and only novel. This really is a labour of love. It's the only idea I have ever had for a book which has inspired me to write it," Gillan told Reuters in an interview on Monday while on a solo tour on North America called Smoke This!

"But writing is a hobby. I write every day. One of my greatest pleasures is writing on my Web site."

Gillan said he expected the book would be controversial.

"A lot of wrong things have become the law and this affects people very deeply," he said. "This book is based on my own philosophies."

Gillan said he also signed a deal last week with a British company to remaster and re-release the five solo albums that he produced during the 1970s and 1980s. This should happen later this year.

His latest solo album, Gillan's Inn, was released earlier this year to mark his 40-year career. Its title is consistent with the theme of Gillan's Inn being a roving pub band where others come out to jam with Gillan.

As part of this theme, Gillan launched an online contest in which people can record their own vocals and/or guitar for a new version of Deep Purple's song 'Smoke On The Water' which was first released in 1972. The winner gets a trip to Las Vegas to perform with Gillan.

"Am I sick of that song? I have never been fed up with it," said Gillan. "When you get a song that has become public property we just become the backing group for the audience."