Ian Gillan Screams

rusty water

Jul 17, 2016
This is a quality rock song from back in the day. Ian Gillan on form on this song and in his prime. A forgotten song :(

Another noisy b******d. Quite possibly the best voice ever.

Another superb song from Gillan. This one with Bernie Tormé on the guitar, he was the first to replace Randy Rhoads after his death :( God Bless them both.

Big Ann has been sleeping on the job. :tickled:

A song called `Restless` from Gillan. A great riff from Monsieur Gers.

Its sad looking back in the past to great days that are gone forever.

Last edited:
BAH! It's not sad. Not being able to remember what once was and not having the music to still enjoy would be sad.

Reactions: CiG and Wyvern
This one isn't Gillan, these lot were always great to see live. Mike Patton was a star.

Great Vid

Time to snap, time to fuckin snap.

Credibility? I am taking a guess you are referring to the contrast in nature between FTM and Gillan? I lost it for a bit. Mind you, Gillan was sensible in Deep Purple.

I'm not going to shit on Patton but he doesn't deserve to be in a thread talking about Ian Gillan.

That's true. Gillan is a timeless proven musician. Compared to Patton as an abject trouble-maker. But that's rock and roll. I understand completely what you are saying. After decades of listening to rock, I know we cannot place an apartheid on categories. Put Neil Peart on this side with the sensibles and have Mike Patton with a catapult, a bottle of cider and twenty tabs on the other. I listen to songs depending on the mood I`m in. I understand though, completely, the incongruous and thread-spoiling input of the FTM video.
I was going to post a UFO thread, but them lot also need to be kept in a pen on their own.
Anyway I am damaged after years of listening to it all.

Last edited:
What I like is that in a thread about Ian Gillan, which you started, you didn't even get to the 10th post before talking about other singers.

Reactions: CiG
What I like is that in a thread about Ian Gillan, which you started, you didn't even get to the 10th post before talking about other singers.

I can answer that. I am in fact a Ritchie Blackmore fan, through and through, and much of it is rubbing off. New singer every three albums ( one, if they really suck, like Graham Bonnet ), is the way to go.

Last edited:
I can answer that. I am in fact a Ritchie Blackmore fan, through and through, and much of it is rubbing off. New singer every three albums ( one, if they really suck, like Graham Bonnet ), is the way to go.

Actually Graham Bonnet was great in his prime, on the other hand Joe Lynn Turner did suck for my money, The weakest vocalist Ritchie has worked with.

As for Gillan, this is one of his best performances ever, sadly the video is bad (sync sucks)

Reactions: Hawk
I disagree with you Brother Vern. I think JLT is a great singer. His problem was that he is a great singer of stuff like AOR and such, not a great metal/hard rock singer. I thought he was great with Yngwie though.

I haven’t heard anything, but from what I read it is his old mates from a pre Deep Purple band that he was in back in the 60s. So I kind of assume it isn’t going to be of the hard rocking variety. So I’ll give it a listen sometime, but thinking it probably won’t be to my taste, but you never know ...

That `Gethsemane` video, I am assuming its Graham Bonnet ! :tickled: If it is him, and it looks like him, he looks like one of those not-right baddies out of a Spaghetti Western :tickled:. Blackmore sacked Bonnet because he refused to grow his hair on the tour, and Rainbow fans expected the band to look the part. Bonnet, who was into the beach boys, apparently, he kept threatening to get his hair cut again. So Blackmore had a guard put on Bonnets door to stop him getting out and doing it. But, he sneaked out through a window and `did it`. So Blackmore, when he saw him on stage that night said he was repeatedly refraining himself from putting his guitar around the back of Bonnets head, because he felt Bonnet did it to spite him. ( never a dull moment with Blackmore ). After sacking Bonnet he said that he was looking for a singer that `didn't just shout at the top of his voice`. :tickled: I am not calling Bonnet, just reminiscing.
That reminds me of Blackmores reasons for sacking Cozy Powell. When asked, Blackmore said that Rainbow were paying for food as a band and that he ( Blackmore ) refused to pay for all the ` sugar puffs` ( A British Breakfast Cereal ) that Cozy was eating. Blackmore said ` Lets face it, the man`s a Pig`. So Powell then refused to pay for Blackmores Cheddar, the arguments started and that was it. ( Blackmore of course is the master of wind-ups and this is obviously another example of his humour ). Blackmore and Powell remained friends and I read they met a while later by chance at a Hotel they were both staying in on tour. Blackmore saw Powell below his window, sunning himself outside, and so he poured a bucket of cold water on him, and off it all went again. :tickled:

Last edited:

This is what I miss. When I was growing up I never used to watch soap-operas on telly, I used to just read interviews by Deep Purple and Rainbow.

After the recording of the long live rock n roll album, Blackmore was almost put on an attempted murder charge after nearly killing the keyboardist in a prank. Then on tour Blackmore was put in prison in one of the eastern European countries for causing a riot between the Rainbow fans and the concert theatres owners and bouncers. Who needs the News at Ten. Growing up, this was the news to read.

Last edited: