Ibanez 7 string

Ultima Ibanez Overlord

-=The Dude Abides=-
Mar 17, 2002
999 letsby avenue
www.mp3.com
Well, here's the deal. I have just bought a new Kramer 7 string. I ordered it online from MusicYo.com on Saturday evening, and it should be here within 3 business days.
But, the next day (today........Sunday) I saw this advert in the local paper:
Ibanez RG 7 string. Black. Immaculate. 275 pounds

Typical. It's virtually the same price I have just paid for the Kramer.

Anyhow. I called the advert's number anyway, just to see what it was. The guy who answered didn't know too much about it. I asked for the model number, and he wasn't sure, but said he thinks it's an RG3170.
I haven't heard of that one, but I thought that all RG's had a 3 digit number with a colour code on the end, and that Prestige or higher grade models have 4 digit numbers. Is that right?

Well, anyhow, does anyone know which model this one is? I have been searching around online and I cannot find a model like it.
I'd appreciate a swift response on this (like tonight, hopefully) if anyone can help, because I might buy it. I will go to see it, but if someone knows it and says it's a low grade model, or knows it doesn't have a trem, I won't take it any further.

Thanks

I imagine the guy was just a bit mixed up.
I've been looking at every bit of ibanez info I could get my hands on because I'm buying a new guitar and I'm trying to decided between another Ibanez and a Jackson, and I don't think I've ever seen that model.....

I've never heard of the rg3170, but there are rg3120's around. I did a quick search for the hell of it and I did find this:

http://www.beyondredemption.net/bio_clive.html

He lists the Ibanez RG3170 Prestige as one of his guitars, so that model number may be correct. It's odd that there isn't ANYTHING about that model on the net, but I didn't have any luck finding anything either. Make's you wonder.....

I found the same thing, Silverhaze. But when I went to that page, I didn't see any mention of it in his Biography.

I'm guessing that the guy who gave me the info is mistaken. I did find some Ibanez 7 strings with similar numbers, but none of them had tremelos, they were all fixed bridge. I'm hoping this one that's for sale has a trem.

Well, thanks for the help anyway, guys. Much appreciated.

Ibanez 7strings and models follow a fairly predictable numbering system.

For 275 pounds (I assume by pounds that you are based in england?) I'd be guessing he's talking about an RG7321, as the other models new where a lot more. Also, it seems to be in the price range they are going for s/h. If you want to find out, ask him if it has a tremelo, and wether it's black. If black and no trem, then most likely it is a 7321, but it could be one of those extended scale length 7421xl models as well. Prestiges are also generally bought by people who know what they have, they also have funky finishes, so I doubt he has one of these.

Of course, i could be wildly mistaken and this axe could exist. May be an idea to check the japanese ibanez site as they often have models unavailable in other parts of the world.

http://www.jemsite.insomnia-vhosting.com/phpbb/

is a good place to find out everything. Lots of ibby knowledge and geekism there :)

i agree with 7 Dying Trees on this one, it sounds very like an RG7321. They are OK guitars, fixed bridge and everything but to be honest i wouldnt waste your time with a lower range ibanez model, i have an RG270DX, which when i bought it was total shit, the build is awful......its like a toy, i have spent a lot of money on it trying to get it sounding good but the tone is still pretty dreadful, i would settle for the Kramer! :)

Well, I called the people and told them that they must have got the model number wrong. They went to check, and yes they had :err:
I checked this model out online and it's got some decent parts (the neck, frets and body), but it also has drawbacks.
I think I'll go check it out, because I might be able to get it cheap.

Yse, it was the 7321.

Just incase anyone wants a picture, here it is:
expandedimage.aspx

Oh yeah, I am in the UK, 7 Dying Trees.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

I've played the 7321 before and nort liked the bridge, it kind of tears up your hand, so you'd have to set it up to follw neck relief etc, then file down the potrusions. Unfortunately if you get this wrong...

For the rest with some new non-stock pickups it's quite a decent guitar for the price.

i found an ibanez axstar synth bass in a hock shop a few weeks ago for $250 aud, i was tempted to buy it on the spot, i got home and searched for it for over an hour with hardly any results at all. i thought it would be pretty easy to find considering its ibanez's only headless bass (resembles a steinberger if you dont know what i mean), let alone the fact that its fully synthesized and has a 16 pin midi output.

I like it a lot, Xeno. It's not a fantastic guitar, and I have found the "superficial damage" that it has. At first I couldn't find it, but there's a tiny little scratch and it's right on the back of the neck, behind the 8th fret :mad: It's not too bad, though, it's just I thought I'd got away with no damage.
I'm still getting used to having the extra string. It may take me a short while for the transition.
My first 7 string "song" is on my IUMA page.