Guitar wood... on a 7-string

Wavebreaker

Apollo Rises!!!!
Jul 28, 2003
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I'm looking at a few companies to build a custom axe. But I need to be really really sure about what I want before I blow $2-5k on a single instrument.

What can you guys tell me about different woods for a 7 -string guitar? I play a style that requires a really clear, defined sound for technical stuff (for rhythm and lead playing, but also a nice solid chunky attack for the heavier/groovier stuff.

Right now I'm using an Ibanez S7420 (mahogany body), Ibanez RG 7-string (basswood), an LTD H-207 (I think Alder body), all with maple necks/rosewood fretboards.

I find the Mahogany and Alder bodies to be somewhat dull and undefined, while the basswood seems a bit too thin/light in character... Of course, the pickups have a lot to do with it, so I'm stuck between EMGs or Seymours...

What are these woods' properties? What are good alternatives? What's the deal with Koa, Korina, Swamp Ash, etc?

Koa is known to have a sound reminiscent of mahogany, but with more high end. Korina (white and black) has a sound that is close to mahogany, as well. Swamp ash has more of a midrange accetuation giving it more of a "growl" than you'll find with most woods. Visit Warmoth's site here. They'll give you a good description of a bunch of different tonewoods.

If you're still having trouble getting the sound you want, perhaps you might want to think about getting a laminate body combining different woods (i.e. mahogany body with a maple top a la Gibson's Les Paul).

Good luck in your hunt for great tone. :)

Hmmm... Perhaps a Swamp Ash body with flamed maple top....

Thanks man, that page was a big help. But there was no mention of ebony...
What would be the advantages of ebony over rosewood for fretboards?

Ebony has a darker color than rosewood when dyed. It's also harder (and more durable) than rosewood and gives a slightly brighter tone due to it's rigidity. I use a 5-string bass and 6-string guitar with ebony fingerboards and neither of them have shown any wear of the wood despite years of playing. They do need to have lemon oil every six months if you're regularly playing, but this is a minor chore that I'm willing to put up with. :)

Here is Warmoth's site for neck and fretboard woods and all their different tonal characteristics.

You already have some good replies here. My personal faves as far as wood are mahogany and Koa, but the shape and thickness of the body have a great deal to do with the tone of the guitar as much as the wood. Les Paul Standards sound great, but you sacrifice a sore shoulder from strapping that "log" accross your neck to achieve that sound. They have a great sound not only because of the wood selection, but the amount of wood used.
If I were you, I would go through the trouble of contacting different manufacturers by phone and talking to their custom shop people. I just play guitars and I do ok at it, but building one...... well I am sure I would suck. Any manufacturer you call will certainly try to do everything in their power to get you to allow them to build your guitar, but if you talk to several manufacturers, I am sure you will have a better idea of what you want. Include Carvin in your manufracturers as well. I had a friend who had a custom shop Carvin 24 fret shredder with a body that looked almost like a Tele. It was sweet.

Bryant