Prestige Ibanez - the guitars are beastly but there's a HUGE problem

Apr 16, 2006
They seem to lack grim colors. I'm definetely getting a prestige ibanez, but i want it to look nice. And by that i mean grim and frostbitten.

Black is is always nice, but they seem to lack it. And rosewood fretboards are often too light for black bodies. But i'd still prefer black. The colors "mirage blue/red" or "galaxy black" seem to have some kinda shiny sparkly gay disco dancer pants color.

Also wood colors look really good. There seems to be a ash body that's natural colored, but...what exactly is ash when compared to alder/basswood/mahogany. Also there's a mahogany body "violin flat" that looks pretty good, and a natural one. But i'm really trying to find basswood.

Anyone know anything that could help this situation?

Well thing is, custom shop is expensive as hell, and prestige ibanez have amazing feel and sound good for nearly everything. And their price is very low for how good they are...i mean, if not that i'd have to get a jackson soloist or rr1 or something.

And while rr shape is beastly, i simply don't see myself going on stage and playing windowpane with it, for example. Or a beast or something, for that matter. I mean, my band isn't black metal(but that would be grim as fuck).

I simply desire a finish that's not bright or sparkly or something like that. Not actually "grim and frostbitten" and all, but still somewhat grim looking.

youre not going to find many if any prestiges in "grim" colors unfortunately. The japanese ibanez headquarters is convinced that every one of their customers is a flaming tart who wants to be steve vai, so every finish they do is "metallic" something or other, or a bright color of some kind. I however would recommend you take a look at their other japanese models which arent prestiges, for as long as theyre made in japan, the quality is just as good and uses pretty much all the same materials, etc. this is the guitar im currently using in Repertory right now, they also make it in a 6 string model...its the closest i think you can come to a "grim" looking guitar from ibanez.

RG7EXFX_BP_1M_01.jpg

Why would you want a guitar to look grim though, really? I guess to each his own.
I've got an RG3120 is "DR" i think it is, basically transparent red, not so grim I guess, but I like it. And black guitars are boring IMO.
I think there's a new J Custom (exclusive Japanese Prestige) this year thats black with EMG's, if that floats your boat. Expect to be forking out a bit though I'd assume.

Yoda said:
And black guitars are boring IMO.

Agreed. I'm not really a fan of Ibanez's in general. I think schecter are actually better at doing the whole low price but midrange quality guitars, but thats just me. i know there are a lot of ibanez fans out there.

Pethical said:
Agreed. I'm not really a fan of Ibanez's in general. I think schecter are actually better at doing the whole low price but midrange quality guitars, but thats just me. i know there are a lot of ibanez fans out there.

schecter = schitter

its like ply-wood and scrap metal.

Yoda said:
Why would you want a guitar to look grim though, really? I guess to each his own.
I've got an RG3120 is "DR" i think it is, basically transparent red, not so grim I guess, but I like it. And black guitars are boring IMO.
I think there's a new J Custom (exclusive Japanese Prestige) this year thats black with EMG's, if that floats your boat. Expect to be forking out a bit though I'd assume.

yea, J. customs are the ultimate japanese made ibanez's but youre gonna have some trouble getting them cheap...assuming you can even find out outside of japan. but ive seen the model this guy is referring to, with the EMGs...i beleive the color is "biker black"...the finish is kind of a textured black which looks a little bit like leather. that might be up your alley.

Pethical said:
my schecter 7 string (007 elite) was 600 bucks. bargain country. i dont particularly like schecter's either but i think they are fantastic for the price.

the one of the picture i posted above was $775...and its night and day to schecters ive played, id never own/buy one. it was worth the extra cash, especially since it came with the EMG 707s installed anyway, which i would have had to pay extra for on another axe usually.

i didnt want to spend more than 600. i just wanted a cheap 7 string to muck around on which is why i didnt get a better one. im glad i got the one i did, because im a bit over my b phase now and getting back to e, which is what my prs is for.

Pethical said:
i didnt want to spend more than 600. i just wanted a cheap 7 string to muck around on which is why i didnt get a better one. im glad i got the one i did, because im a bit over my b phase now and getting back to e, which is what my prs is for.

variety is never a bad thing. that low B can be other things as well anyway, but i understand not wanting to mess with a whole other string if you truly arent going to use it. however in a funeral doom band, a 6 string isnt going to cut the mustard, and i hate downtuning regular guitars, you get dead spots and bad intonation in the neck, etc. plus i dont have to sacrifice the higher notes if i need them.

Pethical said:
a moser custom shop is probably more up your alley

I'm surprised you've actually heard of Moser (MCS). I know Neal, and he's a great guy. I also know that they don't just build pointy guitars. Of course, they can be expensive either for an import or a hand-made (plus the waiting list is over 2 years) but well worth it. Just really surprised to see the name here...:kickass:

rocklobster said:
And while rr shape is beastly, i simply don't see myself going on stage and playing windowpane with it, for example. Or a beast or something, for that matter. I mean, my band isn't black metal(but that would be grim as fuck).

Why the hell not? You can play ANYTHING on just about any guitar. I friggin' hate stereo-types. Guess who came up with the RR shape? That's right, Randy Rhoads. Ever listen to "Dee"? Most certainly not Black Metal. :loco:

Pethical said:

People forget you can string a 6 string like a 7 string (just use the B to B strings). Hence why I have no need for a true seven string guitar...