Ibanez GSR200 - Strings?

onqel

Jan 4, 2008
Norway
Hi

I bought a new bassguitar last year, Ibanez GSR200, and I still haven't changed strings on it.. It sounds like shit at the moment, I have barely touched it because of that to be honest...

So, can anyone recommend me a brand/set of strings for this one? I have no clue about bass guitars and setup.. I will mainly play in the drop C area..

..and I don't want to break it by start cutting or something :p

I got the same bass, ain't much but it does it's job :)

The nicest sounding strings I've used are D'Addario's EXL160, very nice sound and they last quite long. Since I play in Drop C as well, the only problem is that the low string is kinda loose (.105).

I tried Boomers with a .115, but they sound unbelievably dull... Dean Markley's didn't do it for me either.

Lately I tried the Rotosounds. I like the tone, although they are quite rubbery and they will shred your fingers to pieces!

DR's have some new sets for drop tunings but I haven't tried them yet. They do have a great reputation, but they are the most expensive.

I started out on that bass too. Still have it around.

I currently use the same D'Addario EXL160 set that RaDiKaL suggested for Drop C on my current LTD F-205 bass. I like the tone of the D'Ads the best compared to the rest of the bass strings that I've used (GHS, Warwick, Dean Markley, Fender), but yeah, I've gotta say the top string is definitely a tiny bit floppy for that low C, and that's even on my bass which has a 35" scale.

The next heaviest set might be better. That's the one I'm trying next.

Just make sure they're stainless steel, and that the low string is at least a .120! (personally, I would go around .125, .80, .60, .45, assuming we're talking Drop-C and not C-standard here)

I have mine strung with a DAddario EXL160-5 set tuned to A standard and it holds and sounds quite nice. I'd probably get a custom set, however, as tuning that set to drop C will be ridiculous tension-wise - I'd agree with Marcus' recommendation.

I'd say go for the D'addario XL160s as suggested above, i've had no problems with them in drop C on an ibanez bass of the same scale...

if you want something beefier, D'addario also do the EXL230 which are 55-110 gauge

there is another alternative i'd suggest if you're not going to be changing the strings that often, and those are Warwick EMPs, they're coated, so they last a long while, but the tone on them is amazing. I had them on my Ibby bass, and i loved playing with them, they were on my bass for about 4 busy months of playing and the tone barely faded until later on...

I've got a 5 string set on my Ltd right now... the only problem is that they're about 38 euros... but again they'll last you the months so you won't be buying more strings

Thanks for the tips, I will check what's available here .. Why have no one mentioned Ernie Ball strings yet? Not good?

Hey Marcus is that a custom gauge? .120-.125 sounds just right but I should mention that I had to file the nut slot when I put those Boomers with the .115. And they sucked non the less :p

Haha, yeah, floppy bass strings are no fun - and it is indeed a custom set, I always order my strings individually, since I can never find a pack that has balanced tension! :(

And I've never been crazy about Ernie Ball guitar strings, always preferred D'addario - never tried their bass, but I've always been happy with D'addario Pro Steels! (can't emphasize the steel part enough :D)