Ibanez RG7420 and EMG 707 questions

Break Zero

Thrasher
Feb 5, 2003
Ok, I'm getting a Ibanez RG7420BP pretty soon, and am thinking of putting EMG 707s in here. This next question comes from my serious inexperience in replacing pickups and such but... would I pick up two of them and put them both into the Ibanez (since EMG don't seem to make any other 7 string pick ups that i can think of) or just one and leave one of the pickups that comes with the Ibanez in?

Also, has anyone played the Ibanez RG7420 and know if I should keep the pickups it comes with or replace them with EMGs? (i've played the Ibanez before, but it was a along time ago and forgot how the pinkups were. I just remember i seriously liked the guitar)

Dude I have one of those babies now for a little over a year and all I can say is that they sound really amazing. One of the x-guitarists in my band also bought one and it sounded awesome. I like the sound of their pickups. It gives you a nice warm tone and a good variety. I have used it for just about any type of music imagenable and it sounds really good. hope this was helpfull...cheers!!! :)

i see

oh, apparently Ibanez has discontinued the RG7420, and i changed the order to a RG1527. it acually seems to have better specs and comes in a cooler Cosmo Blue color. looks and sounds good considering I'm only paying like 20 bucks more than I was. its a brand new 2003 model so I think very few people have it.

First of all:

EMG + Passives = nono. It can be done, but you'd really need seperate volume controls etc for each pickup and the like as the two impedances required for actives and passives won't mix. SO it's EMG all the way if you want to do that :)

Also, EMG's require rerouting of the body as the pickups are larger than passive 7string pickups. Why EMG chose to do this I'll never know, as as far as I'm concerned it's the one thing stopping me from using them, I don't want to chip bits of wood out of my axes.

Finally, the 1527 is a much better guitar than the 7420. For a start it has an edge tremelo system, which stay in tune very very very very well, even after abuse. Compared to the lo-trs7 that the 7420 was fitted with it's a definate improvement. Pickups should be better as well, but they are still stock, so ... In any case, the 1527 is basically the 7620 which they discontinued, bought back to life. Getting that axe will be a much better deal than the 7420.

James

oh, if you have ibanez questions, the best place to go is www.jemsite.com and the forums there. They know pretty much anything.

alright, thanks a bunch dude

So should I go with the EMG's, or are there any better 7 string pick ups anyone reckons i should go with? Preferably good for like Metal, mainly Thrash

i'm really glad you didn't go ahead with the 7420. it's more of the trem really, you'll hate this guitar because of its dysfunctional trem. the new trems on ibanez guitars are really cool. your 1527 will feature the Edge Pro trem where you need not cut off the ball end of your strings :)

however, i'd think twice about the EMGs, IMO they don't do well in guitars with floating trems. i last heard it in a fixed bridge ibanez 7321 & they were awesome but they were there for a price. the bloke who expanded the cavity to fit them did a bad job, the guitar cracked & it's extending to the volume pot. sheesh... :eek:

i own the 7620 & i'm happy with the dimarzios in it. look out for 7-string versions of Seymour Duncan humbuckers if you need to replace the stock V7-7 that comes with your 1527. hope you like your new guitar... :cool:

yeah, the routing to put the EMGs kinda made me rethink that decision. Normally I don't think I'd care but I don't think I could afford to be wrong and have my guitar routed differently. I'll look out for Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios for the time being...

It's funny I have a 7420 and the trem works wonders...I mean it takes a hell of an abuse too. Oh well I guess I just got lucky and got a descently built one.

I love my 7420, it has a really nice feel and sound to it. I guess the rule of the thumb as usually is for me, is try playing it and see what feels right for you. You never know, you might find a guitar from a crappy model line that sounds like a million bucks when you pick it up. So just keep your options open.

trying out guitars & eventually getting what you hear best is the better way to buy a guitar. but some people can't help having pre-conceived ideas about a certain brand name/ make...

i used to hate Fender until i tried an American Tele & bought it there & then. it's really what the guitar can give you that matters :cool:

For thrash I'd recommend the Dimarzio BlazeII's, or the Evolution7. If you want clean high output tightness then go with the Evolution7, if you want something a bit more raw and gritty, go with the blaze. Also, the Seymour Duncan JB7 is really nice as well :)

I was thinkin a Evolution and a Blaze. In my band I do rhythm but with the occasional lead and solos.

although i incline towards Seymour Duncan, i'd say you check out the Tone Zone 7 for your bridge. this 7 string version isn't merely a 7-string version of its 6-string counterpart, it sounds a little diff too- enough bass to make the low end growl & more surprisingly, has a singing midrange... :cool:

Originally posted by bloodswords
although i incline towards Seymour Duncan, i'd say you check out the Tone Zone 7 for your bridge. this 7 string version isn't merely a 7-string version of its 6-string counterpart, it sounds a little diff too- enough bass to make the low end growl & more surprisingly, has a singing midrange... :cool:

I have to agry, I have one in my Brian Moore i9.7 and the thing grunts and sings!

I'd tend to avoid a Tone Zone if you want thrashy riffs, and go with a tight pickup, especially for the low B. You don't want the pickup to be too bassy, as the low-B turns to mud really easily if you don't watch it, which is no good :)