ICARUS WITCH - "Rise" (new album)

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
I have been following IW since their first LP (I found about the debut EP later), and frankly was a case of masochism as the band is not that good.

All considered, I agree the albums has progressively become better one after another. So just when I was convinced the band may have a future for my ears the singer left and other line-up changes followed.

Matthew Bizilia was a case of love/hate for me, his voice annoyed me a bit but I recognize it was the most interesting facet of the band.

Now a revamped group has taken on their fourth album "Rise", the first I found is a change in the cover imagery they used and the logo, the second of course are the vocals.

The new singer is not bad at all and pretty different from Matthew. The composition still lacks some punch for me, but I will have to listen to the whole CD before making more judgement.

Bloody Soundcloud does not allowed this to be played outside the site, so go there and check:

http://soundcloud.com/spinner-pr/rise-icarus-witch-from-rise/s-2g1Cu

Tracklist:
  • The End
  • (We Are) The New Revolution
  • Rise
  • Asylum Harbour
  • Coming Of The Storm
  • Tragedy
  • Say When
  • Break The Cycle
  • Nothing Is Forever
  • Pray
  • In The Dark
  • Last Call For Living
Cover:

RISEcover.jpg

In my opinion it's the opposite. I think the band has become progressively more mediocre.
Heard the new album and sounds like 13 in a dozen. The first singer gave the band
a special touch while the new one is just average...

Yes, the band has gone through some changes over the years, but after nearly 10 years, this is not uncommon. We are still very good friends with our original singer Matthew, but at the same time are more pleased with the new sound and direction.

Sure, it will not please everyone, but if we tried to do that we would not be very "true" would we? So instead, we continue writing and progressing in the way that is natural and feels right for the members of the band. Hopefully there will be many new fans who appreciate the melodic metal style and updated, perhaps more "European" sound (for lack of a better term).

Ultimately though, we are staying true to ourselves which is what this band was founded upon, creating the kind of metal we love despite what others say or prefer. What you will find is likely and increase in production value, some notable improvement in musicianship and some bigger hooks and choruses. What you will not find is a band willing to rest on laurels or re-create the same sound over and over.

Cheers to everyone who has given Icarus Witch a listen over the years and welcome to those who may be experiencing our style of rock/metal for the first time.

All the best,
Icarus Witch

PS: iTunes now has 1:30 samples of every song if you'd like a more thorough preview, or you can watch the sampler video here: http://kck.st/LkVv9M

First of all. I really like all the releases of Icarus Witch. They have been consistently heavy in a relaxed manner. No speedy headbanging rhythms but well thought out and very well written guitar melodies. I really liked Matthew as a singer but after hearing the sound cloud song I like Christopher as well.

As some of you know I really love the late 70s hard rock sound and Icarus Witch seems to reference somewhat to that sound. In that, I think, they are unique.

I am very much looking forward to hearing the new album. :)

Welcome IW, to the board. As harsh as we may look, we're actually quite a nice bunch.

Glad you people still do what you like, being true to oneself worth more than all the money.

BTW, Sixxi already got his preview copy so I'll wait for his review.