Iced Earth 10.22.08

wdiv

Rattlehead
May 28, 2004
US
I knew they were going to rerecord Framing Armageddon with Barlow vox, but can't believe that he's having Barlow rerecord the original trilogy

From BW&BK:
ICED EARTH - Box Set Planned For Something Wicked Parts 1 & 2
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 16:45:03 EST

ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer gave some details to Metal Asylum in New Jersey about the forthcoming Something Wicked box set which includes the albums Framing Armageddon and the latest release The Crucible Of Man. He also gives an update on his side project with BLIND GUARDIAN’s Hansi Kursch called DEMONS AND WIZARDS.

Q: Again you gave a partial answer to my next question, now that Matt is back in the band have you thought of going back and re-recording the vocals for Framing Armageddon? You also mentioned a box set?

A: "Yeah, originally the box set was something that was planned from the beginning when we knew we would be completing the Something Wicked story. So I asked SPV to make sure that Framing Armageddon Pt.1 and Crucible of Man Pt.2 would be released only once without those albums coming out again as some kind of special edition because we already had these plans to re release both albums in this Something Wicked box set. So it makes sense to have the continuity between Parts 1 & 2 now that Matt is back in the band. I have my own studio so it makes this not such a hard thing to accomplish and its really cool because I can go back and remix and fix some of the low end issues I had on Framing Armageddon and also something I was able to address on Part 2. Part 2 I think is a bit more punchier than Part 1."

Q: What else will the Something Wicked box set include aside from Framing Armageddon Pt.1 and The Crucible of Man Pt.2?

A: "It will include the Overture Of The Wicked EP, which has the newer versions of the original trilogy ('Prophecy', 'Birth of the Wicked', 'The Coming Curse' from the Something This Way Wicked Comes album) but Matt re-singing those songs, then it will have Framing Armageddon Pt.1 remixed with Matt singing, a DVD with footage from the festivals we did this summer in Europe plus behind the scenes of us making Parts 1 & 2."

Q: Recording any shows for DVD?

A: "Yes we are. We recorded at several of the festivals we played in Europe and we are planning to put a DVD out in Jan/Feb but this is not going to be an Iced Earth full production DVD but it will be better than Alive In Athens. But it is festivals so it’s a different situation from our show where you will get lights, pyro, our stage design. Its gonna either be the show from the Metal Camp or the Rock Hard festival. Those were the two that were shot pro with multiple cameras but I have not seen or heard the masters to decide which is the better show. Then you will get some behind the scenes stuff and highlights from Graspop and some of the other shows. We are gonna call it the Summer Slaughter."

Q: When you do record this show for DVD, have you ever considered maybe doing a history type thing where you start at the beginning of Iced Earth’s career and play songs from the first album to the present?

A: "I don’t know yet. It depends actually because I have been asked if we are going to do the whole Something Wicked saga live but that really depends on the fans if they wanna see that. I want to see what the long term feeling on this record is and if that’s what they want to see then I would work to make it happen. I can’t say yet. Whenever the time comes we will do a show on the level that I have been wanting to do a DVD for a long time.

Actually I would like to do a historical type thing, something like we did for the Horror Show over in Europe. It was great and I wish we taped it but Century Media didn’t believe in the idea. We did three sets with no support band, for the first set the stage looked like it was made of metal and we played only songs from the first three albums, then the curtain closed and the set changed to look Egyptian where we played songs from The Dark Saga and Something Wicked, then the stage changed again with the back drop and artwork for Horror Show and we came back and did the whole album live. We had pyro, did a couple costume changes, it was really a spectacle and it should have been filmed and I don’t understand and can’t believe Century Media wasn’t willing to cough up the cash to tape it."

You can read the full interview at metalasylum.net.

I've just started listening to IE, though it's been on my mp3 player for months. Really good stuff, I might get said box set.

I've just started listening to IE, though it's been on my mp3 player for months. Really good stuff, I might get said box set.
Hope that Crucible wasn't your intro to IE... not their finest moment IMO.

I'm more of a Pyramaze fan than IE...Pyra being influenced much by IE and the ones who brought Matt back to the metal scene, thankfully. Pyra's latest album 'Immortal' with Matt is one of the finest metal CDs I've ever heard...I honestly think Matt has never sounded better. I'm glad he is back where he seems to belong, in IE. Have certainly drawn renewed interest to IE and Matt. A win-win situation for both bands.

I'd heard about a box set being released which is why I haven't brought a hard copy of FA yet.

I have it on here to hear though and it's generally pretty good but I'd certainly like to hear Matts vocals on it.

I'm listening to "Something Wicked This Ways Comes" as i type this and it's one album that will never ever tire for me,absolute Metal perfection,i dunno if they'll ever be able to reach the heights that they achieved on this album,who cares Iced Earth have made their masterpiece,can't really get into the new album,i'll persevere but like all great bands they'll definately be remembered for this album,Matt Barlow is the most emotive singer in Metal!!

Wonder how long until they decided to rerecord Gettysburg with Barlow vox :rolleyes:

I'm listening to "Something Wicked This Ways Comes" as i type this and it's one album that will never ever tire for me,absolute Metal perfection,i dunno if they'll ever be able to reach the heights that they achieved on this album,who cares Iced Earth have made their masterpiece,can't really get into the new album,i'll persevere but like all great bands they'll definately be remembered for this album,Matt Barlow is the most emotive singer in Metal!!

Their two masterpieces were Night of the Stormrider and Burnt Offerings.

I'm more of a Pyramaze fan than IE...Pyra being influenced much by IE and the ones who brought Matt back to the metal scene, thankfully. Pyra's latest album 'Immortal' with Matt is one of the finest metal CDs I've ever heard...I honestly think Matt has never sounded better. I'm glad he is back where he seems to belong, in IE. Have certainly drawn renewed interest to IE and Matt. A win-win situation for both bands.

honestly, i didnt like Matt is Pyra that much, the stuff with King was wayy better. no disrespect to Barlow or Pyramaze

I disagree.
Lance king with Pyramaze was great, but I'll take Matt with Pyramaze any day. Matts performance was better than I expected, the band got so much out of him and I think his raw emotional heavy style rubbed off on the band. It made for thier best CD IMO. The good thing is they now have Urban Breed, who is great in his own right...kinda has the Matt / Lance perfect mix going on.

Wonder how long until they decided to rerecord Gettysburg with Barlow vox :rolleyes:

Hopefully never. IE did the 2nd and 3rd Gettysburg songs, and Matt was not nearly as good as Ripper on those two. As has been said before, he hits the high notes, but they're not as full as Owens doing them.

I think the GB trilogy is some of IE's finest work, and seeing Ripper pull those off live on The Glorious Burden tour was phenominal. Matt did just fine with the other Ripper songs (Declaration Day, Ten Thousand Strong, etc), but he just didn't do well on GB.

Steve in Philly

The Pyramaze cd was a stormer... better than Crucible imo.

I hope they don't re-record The Glorious Burden, thats a great album (even though i prefer Barlow).

So I'm listening to The Crucibles of Man,and it's really nothing special. It's mediocre tbh.

But then, maybe I'm biased considering I'm a huge fan of their earlier work.